Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:14 Plymouth to Penzance
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
07:48 Reading to Redhill
08:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 09:03:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[177] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[46] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Cornish delays
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where Will FGW Be In A Few Years Time?  (Read 2472 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: June 22, 2008, 13:06:49 »

What does the future hold for FGW (First Great Western)?

Will we still be discussing the same kind of problems as we have been in the first period of the franchise, or will they have been largely resolved, along with improved/restored services in Devon & Cornwall, TransWilts, Thames Valley/Cotswolds, Gloucester-Worcester corridor, the Greater Bristol area and other such places?

In what direction would you like to see FGW go forward, and what steps should they take in order to get there?

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 13:08:02 »

I know it is mainly out of their control, but a press for electrification of their HSS (High Speed Services) and Thames Valley commuter services needs to happen.

BEFORE HST2/IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.).
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 14:01:47 »

FGW (First Great Western) will suffer the same way all railway companies have suffered over the last 200 years  Huh

change of government = change of policy direction

i. e. lap of the gods

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 23:52:13 »

Well, I'm rather optimistic about what the future holds for FGW (First Great Western), personally.

Firstly, I'm often impressed with the quality of their staff.  Here on the forum, for example, we have several FGW staff members who are clearly very passionate about their company, the service they are trying to provide and the reasons why they are sometimes prevented from delivering it.

I've said before, I also rate Andrew Haines and his team very highly: they have already achieved improvements that the previous regime just couldn't seem to grasp.

That said, FGW are indeed a bit prone to dropping the occasional rather large brick. The difference now, however, is that they own up to it, and put it right: increasing compensation for delays, honouring Exeter tickets, and running another Severn Beach day, for example.

From my own perspective, I'm fairly happy with my daily commute these days. Yes, it would be nice to have staff instead of machines at Nailsea & Backwell, but the trains are much more reliable (still crowded, but that's life!) and most of them have been refurbished to provide at least a reasonable travel experience.

However, what does make me cross is the political interference in what FGW can do: the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have a lot to answer for, in creating the problems which, I think, FGW have done quite well to (at least start to) resolve. I think that, provided the politicians and civil servants can be kept away from interfering in the detail, FGW are quite capable of continuing to improve their service for the remainder of the current franchise. And if they do, I'll be quite happy to see them win a 'second term', when the time comes.

Erm, that's all from me, for the moment: just a reminder, I'm not FGW staff, just a humble passenger!  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 00:21:17 »

That said, FGW (First Great Western) are indeed a bit prone to dropping the occasional rather large brick. The difference now, however, is that they own up to it, and put it right: increasing compensation for delays, honouring Exeter tickets, and running another Severn Beach day, for example.

I think what is annoying to me (and surely must be annoying to the many excellent members of staff that FGW undoubtably have) is that the kind of mistakes that marred the Exeter promotion and Severn Beach Line Sunday Free Travel really shouldnt happen in the first place :

Exeter :

A spokesman for First Great Western said: "The offer was never meant to be made to the general public.

"Our marketing department was working with Exeter City Council and its travel plan department. They were contacting a target group of people to try and get them to look at alternatives to car travel.

"Each submitted application had to be authorised by our marketing department. It was supposed to be password protected. The form should have been hidden.

"We've now had to pull out of the scheme."

Severn Beach Line Sunday Free Travel :

Quote from: Mark Bradshaw, Labour Bristol City Councillor responsible for transport
I have sought explanations for the cancellations.  In short, two of the services were cancelled for unit failure.  This raises questions about resilience and contingency plans as I would expect there to be spare rolling stock available on a Sunday; we are pursuing this point with FGW.  The third cancellation was altogether more bizarre with a staff member going out with the wrong train leaving the Severn Beach train short.

Ensuring that a promotion is password protected and making sure your staff go out with the correct train is not rocket science, and when things like that happen (along with the resulting bad publicity), then it does lend weight to the view that FGW can sometimes be its own worst enemy.

That said, I do think that FGW have improved in several respects, and I am not alone among my fellow cynics  Grin

See quote below :

I think its mainly a case of that "bad news" will always sell papers, and "good news" (although featured more than people realise) will not always get the level of coverage that perhaps it merits.

From my perspective, one of the things that has greatly improved is that, if I raise an issue of importance to the Coffee Shop or CANBER (Campaign Against the New Beeching Report), Andrew Haines will always ensure that I get a speedy and detailed response, either from him personally or the person responsible for the matter. Frankly, this is in stark contrast to how things were before he came along.

There have also been welcome moves towards improvements on several lines/services (TransWilts being a notable exception.)

However, FGW remain gaffe-prone, and when things do go wrong, they tend to go wrong in spectacular fashion, the debacles over the Exeter ticket promotion and the Free Severn Beach Line service cancellations being good examples. Errors like this could be avoided, and FGW still (in my opinion) have work to do on this front.

Here is a view from the I Hate FGW blog author, in which she notes (with caution) that things have improved (link below.)
http://www.canber.co.uk/?q=node/29

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 13:57:11 »

I think it depend on the economy.

If petrol gets too pricey but unemployment stays reasonably low then FGW (First Great Western) will suffer from even more complaints about too few or not long enough trains. They are unlikely to get any more stock in the next year or so.

If both petrol and unemployment both rise then I think FGW could well be in difficulty paying their premium because of loss of traffic. So cut backs in services.

By and large in the Thames Valley things have improved since the December 2008 timetable off peak services seem to work well and on on time most days.

Twford, Maidenhead and Slough passengers are still upset at losing their fast trains and we still have the absurbity of running the fast Sloughs on the Relief line during the peak.

Airport Junction is still a bottle neck on the Up Main.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: