Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
13:11 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
Delayed
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
11:37 London Paddington to Carmarthen
13:51 Warminster to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 15:34:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[122] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[37] access for all at Devon stations report
[36] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Cornish delays
[1] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arriva Trains Weymouth  (Read 10616 times)
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 21:05:44 »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I noticed 150278 in the sidings at Westbury today (about 3pm).

Are FGW (First Great Western) hiring rolling stock from ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) and then leaving it unused?  What routes/times do they actually use the ATW set(s)?  I've noticed one operating the SVB line occasionally.

they do not run any particular diagram  they are used the same as rest of FGW dmu fleet.
the one at WSB» (Westbury - next trains) sidings was probably the booked terminator in morning then stables for the afternoon/evening trans wilts service,even if they did not have the ATW sets this would be the same just a booked thing.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 22:22:26 »

Its only going to get worse in the main holiday period school holidays ect at least on the southern line they get proper trains even if they are 444

No! I wont have that  Roll Eyes Wink Cheesy

the last proper train that ran on the southern line to Weymouth was the class 442.

A CIG and VEP last visited Weymouth instead of 442 Wink
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 22:42:13 »

OK. The last proper train that regularly ran on the southern to Weymouth...... Tongue Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 22:52:12 »

... or "ran regularly" ... we don't want to give TerminalJunkie apoplexy!  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 23:20:46 »

Hopefully TJ will explain why something can have a regular run but when we switch to the adverb of regular and past tense of run we have to switch them round  Undecided

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 23:25:05 »

I dunno either - but we'll boldly go where no man has gone before!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 23:35:52 »

Or will we go boldly where no man has before gone?  Tongue Wink

I'll stop now.  Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Kingfisherdart

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 23:41:41 »

Just to make things more confusing, would I be correct in thinking the last proper train to run *regularly* to Weymouth, was the once a week class 67 + Mk2 (Mark 2 coach) service during the summer....?
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 23:43:52 »

Depends on whether you deem "skips" to be a proper train... Now, the occasion when it was top-and-tailed by two 37s, of course...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 00:14:40 »

Depends on whether you deem "skips" to be a proper train... Now, the occasion when it was top-and-tailed by two 37s, of course...

We have a winner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhnUj_Aj_y8

Although apparently double-headed, rather than top-and-tailed.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 06:23:57 »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I noticed 150278 in the sidings at Westbury today (about 3pm).

Are FGW (First Great Western) hiring rolling stock from ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) and then leaving it unused?  What routes/times do they actually use the ATW set(s)?  I've noticed one operating the SVB line occasionally.

they do not run any particular diagram  they are used the same as rest of FGW dmu fleet.
the one at WSB» (Westbury - next trains) sidings was probably the booked terminator in morning then stables for the afternoon/evening trans wilts service,even if they did not have the ATW sets this would be the same just a booked thing.

The train (diagram) in question could perhaps be usefully used to provide additional round trips on the TransWilts rather than just lying idle for a considerable time;  the Sunday TransWilts service has not been much mentioned but it also needs dramatic improvement - the first train of the day not running until after 5 p.m. making it utterly impractical for almost any days out / round trips.

After all that wating around yesterday, the train didn't actually run up from Trowbridge to Chippenham direct, providing the large intermediate town with its only trains of the day ... so the meagre three trains we were due got reduced to zero at the last minute yet again (I'm loosing count - I think it must have been the 4th or 5th trainless day in 2 months).

Back on more general topic - the whole Sunday Service thing needs review; early services are sparse and overcrowded, and I think there's probably a pent-up / potential travel requirement for travel by train that's put off by the services being too few.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 09:24:57 »

the last proper train that ran on the southern line to Weymouth was the class 442.

Nope class 33 and 4/8 TC(resolve) and before that MNs.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 10:39:49 »

... or "ran regularly" ... we don't want to give TerminalJunkie apoplexy!  Shocked

I don't do apoplexy. You're obviously confusing me with Btline Tongue

I dunno either - but we'll boldly go where no man has gone before!  Grin

You can't split a bare infinitive, boldly or otherwise. The full infinitive is to go, and without the particle to you only have a bare infinitive.

In any case, the split infinitive rule is just an invention of a few 19th century Grammar Nazis. Since in most cases splitting the infinitive results in a natural flow of words there's no real reason to avoid it.

Hopefully TJ will explain why something can have a regular run but when we switch to the adverb of regular and past tense of run we have to switch them round  Undecided

Sorry, I've no idea why you feel the need to do that. It seems to makes perfect sense either way!

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: