Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 05:35 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 05:36:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Votes against cycling?  (Read 5121 times)
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2020, 13:48:33 »

Mr Farage has found the latest thing to "boost" his new/reformed party
https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/nigel-farage-vows-reform-party-oppose-government-green-transport-schemes-grant-shappsboris-johnson-784845

Be intersting to see if his vote reflects
As with similar surveys, more appear to be in favour than against (3 to 1)
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 15:43:03 »

I was listening to R4 World at One today who were reporting some pushback by motoring groups against Low Traffic Neighbourhood schemes in Oxford, particularly those like taxi drivers, delivery drivers and building contractors who physically have to take their vehicles with them. There were also a few, unsurprisingly, who quite liked the Low Traffic Neighbourhood that they lived in but took a dim view about having to drive around those introduced for other people...

At times of change it is inevitable that some will seek to oppose it. I can remember the days in my teens when some people were outraged (apparently) about pedestrianising Broadmead in Bristol

Whether the anti-brigade will win is another matter of course, and my gut feeling is they will win a couple of battles but not the war.

It has to be said that in the recent COVID-related rush to introduce some of these new schemes some mistakes have been made, and it may well be that some of the worst examples will be removed in due course. That of course does not mean that the whole process is flawed.

And as regards His Nigeness, I wouldn?t worry too much about him. A lot of bluster and no substance, and too much of a Marmite character. If the referendum had been left to him we?d still be in the EU» (European Union - about)
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 16:22:10 »

He's never sober enough to cycle or drive anyway
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 17:41:34 »

Unfortunately, Farage has a point.

I have seen good cycling lanes (in Reading) that have assisted both cyclists (me) and motorists (also me).

Where there are problems are where necessary high traffic volumes are forced into too few lanes, often with a distinct lack of cyclists. Would we like the GWML (Great Western Main Line) reduced to 2 tracks, East of Didcot?

All transport, even by road using IC (Inter City) engines is vital to life in an advanced economy.

As a pedestrian (also me) I would appreciate other cyclists (not me) actually using the new lanes rather than continuing to ride "furiously and recklessly" on footpaths and pavements, immune apparently from the road traffic acts.

OTC
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 21:52:05 by onthecushions » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 11:20:23 »

Unfortunately, Farage has a point.

In their rush to develop schemes quickly (to qualify for government funding), some councils without doubt made mistakes. But when Farage talks of 'madness' and causing 'untold misery to millions', he could be better describing the impact the private motor car has had on cities and towns.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 12:11:00 »

But when Farage talks of 'madness' and causing 'untold misery to millions'...
...he could be talking about his own policies...

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 15:07:06 »

I dont think that Mr Farage is very keen on greeness in general.
ISTR (I seem to recall/remember) opposition to wind turbines as well as dislike of cycling lanes.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 16:46:48 »

ISTR (I seem to recall/remember) opposition to wind turbines as well as dislike of cycling lanes.

I'm no fan of onshore windfarms, but still cycle from time to time. But I haven't been out much of late, and I reckon Bristol's cycle path revolution will have come and gone by the time I go there again.

I think I would prefer a windfarm in the back garden to Farage on the doorstep, though.

Now, please!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 13:20:40 »

Slough seems to have introduced the most dangerous cyclye lanes in the country. On the A4 from the M4 Jn 7 towards Slough, Previously it was two lanes in each direction without central reservation. Now the inner lane has a cycle lane white line taking half the lane. It still seem to be 4 lanes of traffic but i don't know what happens if you're in the inside lane and meet a cyclist using the lane.  Most cyclist seem to using the footpaths and i don't blame them
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 18:15:13 »

That's actually quite a good compromise if I'm understanding it right; must check it out some time.  When there are no cyclists the lane can be used by motor vehicles in the normal way, but when there are any it sends a message that motorists shouldn't try to squeeze past but need to give the cyclist the marked amount of space and pull over into the other main traffic lane (so if they can't they need to wait!). Far better than cycle lanes elsewhere in Slough that are no more than a metre wide and tell cyclists that they belong in the gutter so motorists can squeeze past without pulling out at all.  That really is dangerous.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: