Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:45:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[81] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[30] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[29] access for all at Devon stations report
[18] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[15] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Are these the extremes? Advent quiz, 15th December 2020  (Read 3252 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 15, 2020, 01:17:56 »

Longest, shortest ... narrowest, widest ... cheapest most expensive.  Here are seven sets of extremes I have found - but I'm not really sure of any of them. What are the extremes I have chosen, and can you come up with examples that are even more extreme?

1. Caledonian 123 and Evening Star

2. CononBridge and Gloucester

3. Dalwhinnie and Berney Arms

4. Adrian Backshall and Jonathon Jones-Pratt

5. Sishen mine to Saldanha Bay and Stourbridge Junction to Stourbridge Town

6. Royden Park and Felixstowe Docks

7. Dartmouth and Leeds

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
lympstone_commuter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 07:17:09 »

2. Shortest and longest platforms?
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 07:33:55 »

A few facts from my Guiness Book of Railway Facts and Feats!

Torpantu tunnel - was highest tunnel in UK (United Kingdom), now Shitlock Hill on the S&C (Settle and Carlisle )
Cowburn tunnel - deepest tunnel
London and Greenwich Railway viaduct  - longest viaduct in UK, worlds longest brick arch viaduct 878 arches
Carlisle Citadel, station used by most pregrouping companies
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 07:40:46 by Reginald25 » Logged
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 07:49:02 »

1 is the number of driving wheels on a steam engine running in the UK (United Kingdom) (ignoring articulated locos). 123 has just 2. Evening Star has 10. It could also be the same just for preserved steam locomotives.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 08:57:34 »

Alternatively 1. could relate to the number of locomotives in a class produced; there was only a single Caledonian 123 while the 251 BR (British Rail(ways)) 9F machines might be the largest number of loco's in a single class.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 09:11:47 »

5. Longest versus shortest journey for a single unit train. Highest voltage electric railway 50kV (Saldanha) versus lowest - Parry People Mover's batteries. Shortest versus longest train.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 09:23:27 »

1 is the number of driving wheels on a steam engine running in the UK (United Kingdom) (ignoring articulated locos). 123 has just 2. Evening Star has 10. It could also be the same just for preserved steam locomotives.

That is what I had as my answer - or "most coupled wheels" if you don't want to put in the exception for Garretts.  But there were many other singles, and other 10 coupled locos such as the Great Eastern Decapod, and the Lickey Banker. Glad you added "UK" as I think there was a 12 coupled locomotive (class?) on the Union Pacific.

Alternatively 1. could relate to the number of locomotives in a class produced; there was only a single Caledonian 123 while the 251 BR (British Rail(ways)) 9F machines might be the largest number of loco's in a single class.

There were 422 Jinty Tanks according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Fowler_Class_3F ; the 9F was the most numerous BR standard, but had I been looking for this I would have compared the Duke of Gloucester rather than 123.  An excellent thought though - and I suspect there are many other extremes between loco pairs.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 09:28:58 »

That's what I was thinking of.  Past contenders for longest have been Manchester Victoria / Exchange, and Colchester; examples tend to have some sort of mid-platform break - others please help / fill me in.      Similary for shortest, I wonder how long the staff platform for Wimbledon EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) depot is / was ....

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 09:50:42 »

5. Longest versus shortest journey for a single unit train. Highest voltage electric railway 50kV (Saldanha) versus lowest - Parry People Mover's batteries. Shortest versus longest train.

I hadn't spotted that extreme voltage ... and I don't think electricity is used at any point in the traction chain on the Parry People Mover.  "Longest" v "Shortest", yes, was what I had - but not for the journey; there are longer journeys but you may be right for a train that does not divide or join along the way.  Are carriages taken off / added on along the way on trains like the Ghan?

The Class 139 units are typical of the Parry People Mover concept, in that they utilise flywheel energy storage to recapture and supply the motive force for moving the vehicle. The flywheel captures the vehicle's kinetic energy when the brakes are used, and re-uses the energy for acceleration. This eliminates the need for a large diesel engine. The small onboard engine (fuelled by LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas)) is used to initially bring the flywheel up to speed, to add speed to the flywheel after the vehicle is started in motion, and to provide power for the onboard systems.

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 11:15:16 »

"Longest" v "Shortest", yes, was what I had - but not for the journey; there are longer journeys but you may be right for a train that does not divide or join along the way.  Are carriages taken off / added on along the way on trains like the Ghan?

If you are talking about 'standard length', then, 'Yes', coaches are taken off / added on the Ghan and Indian Pacific trains. The length on a particular day is determined by the number of bookings. I have been fortunate enough to have travelled on both the Ghan and Indian Pacific trains on two occasions. On one of those occasions, both trains comprised just a dozen coaches, whilst the other occasion saw both trains with in excess of 30 coaches.

Obviously, on any one particular outing, no coaches are added / taken off during the journey.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 11:20:42 »

6. I think must be the gauge of outdoor tracks - from the smallest of the multi-gauge model railway at Royden Park at 21/2 inches to the cranes at Felixstowe container port with 35 m.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 11:27:10 »

6. I think must be the gauge of outdoor tracks - from the smallest of the multi-gauge model railway at Royden Park at 21/2 inches to the cranes at Felixstowe container port with 35 m.

Yes, that is what I had in mind.  As I (skim)read it, Royden Park is, incredibly, used to pull passengers - though from a balance view point, surely, they would have to be on somewhat broader gauge wagons?

froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 11:55:38 »

That's what I was thinking of.  Past contenders for longest have been Manchester Victoria / Exchange, and Colchester; examples tend to have some sort of mid-platform break - others please help / fill me in.      Similary for shortest, I wonder how long the staff platform for Wimbledon EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) depot is / was ....

I was thinking longest/shortest, but when I looked up a picture of Conon Bridge, it looked longer than Dilton Marsh's to me.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 12:37:07 »

I was thinking longest/shortest, but when I looked up a picture of Conon Bridge, it looked longer than Dilton Marsh's to me.

Google Earth does show Dilton Marsh as 15 m both, but is out of date - they were extended to 25 m since May 2018. Mind you, the TPR (The Pensions Regulator) dated July 2020 hasn't caught up with that yet. Conon Bridge was built to 15 m nominal, but so was Beauly and perhaps others. Maybe Graham has been out with his tape measure to check them as built.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 14:06:21 by stuving » Logged
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 13:03:40 »

Are carriages taken off / added on along the way on trains like the Ghan?

They are fixed formation block trains of 342 wagons carrying 100t iron ore each powered by five electric locomotives distributed within the train with the slave locos acting under radio control from the lead loco. Length = 3780 metres (12400 ft) - Weight = 41400 tonnes. Not bad for a 3'6" gauge railway
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: