Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
Delayed
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 20:47:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[177] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[54] access for all at Devon stations report
[34] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[28] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Are these the extremes? Advent quiz, 15th December 2020  (Read 3250 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 13:29:06 »

Are carriages taken off / added on along the way on trains like the Ghan?

They are fixed formation block trains of 342 wagons carrying 100t iron ore each powered by five electric locomotives distributed within the train with the slave locos acting under radio control from the lead loco. Length = 3780 metres (12400 ft) - Weight = 41400 tonnes. Not bad for a 3'6" gauge railway

My reckoning was that we were looking at the shortest and longest trains anywhere.

If you are talking about 'standard length', then, 'Yes', coaches are taken off / added on the Ghan and Indian Pacific trains. The length on a particular day is determined by the number of bookings. ...

Obviously, on any one particular outing, no coaches are added / taken off during the journey.

Wasn't obvious to me ... from what I knew, there might have been short journey options with the train dropping off excess carriages ... full train from Adelaide to Alice Springs, and a shorter service onward to Darwin.   Not a new idea - I understand than London to Penzance trains sometimes drop off a few carriages at Plymouth.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 17:14:44 »

3 Dalwhinnie Highest above sea level Berney Arms lowest
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 18:35:22 »

Yes ... that was my 'plan'.  Though should someone tell me of a fenland station below sea level, it would replace Berney Arms.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 18:54:52 »

Yes ... that was my 'plan'.  Though should someone tell me of a fenland station below sea level, it would replace Berney Arms.

What about Essex Road, or one of its neighbours? I reckon (without good data) it's about 10 m BSL.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 19:41:28 »

Corrour I allways thought was the highest above sea level.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2020, 19:50:39 »

Corrour I always thought was the highest above sea level.

Dalwhinnie is 1174 feet above sea level, whilst Corrour is 1,340 - some 166 feet higher.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2020, 19:56:17 »

Thankyou Phil.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2020, 20:02:20 »

Corrour I always thought was the highest above sea level.

Dalwhinnie is 1174 feet above sea level, whilst Corrour is 1,340 - some 166 feet higher.

Thankyou Phil.

However, Drumochter Summit, close to Dalwhinnie is higher at 1,484 feet.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2020, 20:45:39 »

Quite so but does not have a station as I recall.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2020, 21:08:12 »

Shippea Hill station, despite its name, appears to be exactly at sea level.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2020, 22:30:44 »

No 7 - is it most and fewest platforms for stations outside London (17 at Leeds, none at Dartmouth)?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2020, 22:56:18 »

No 7 - is it most and fewest platforms for stations outside London (17 at Leeds, none at Dartmouth)?

It is ...

Just one question left:

4. Adrian Backshall and Jonathon Jones-Pratt

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2020, 23:21:04 »

But Leeds ties with Edinburgh Waverley, if you don't allow split platforms. If you do allow them, because used operationally or if officially numbered as such, EDI would win.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2020, 23:46:43 »

But Leeds ties with Edinburgh Waverley, if you don't allow split platforms. If you do allow them, because used operationally or if officially numbered as such, EDI would win.

And if you say "England", Leeds ....

Just shows how difficult (or interesting) these questions can be. We'll probably have a report of a station with a negative number of platforms next and find that Dartmouth is questionable too  Grin

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2020, 23:51:54 »

And if you say "England", Leeds ....

Just shows how difficult (or interesting) these questions can be. We'll probably have a report of a station with a negative number of platforms next and find that Dartmouth is questionable too  Grin

Yes, especially since Leeds label their platforms in quarters (a,b,c&d), and even in the TPR (The Pensions Regulator) some more platforms (ones I wasn't counting since they have no mid-point crossover) are given listed lengths for their halves (ab & cd).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: