Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 07:13:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Another advent picture quiz, December 16th  (Read 4091 times)
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2020, 21:38:52 »

Some railway related pictures, all in GB (Great Britain). Each letter is in a location (town etc), with a railway feature (A has 4, and C has 2).  We?re looking for the town and if possible, the ?feature?(s).

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 22:02:32 »

I'll hold fire until tomorrow which is the official start day before I discover how many I've got wrong! 😮
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 07:36:28 »

I'll hold fire until tomorrow which is the official start day before I discover how many I've got wrong! 😮

I think I know six ... and I look at picture "M" and wonder if I should ask if I may edit a copy for a "spot the difference" quiz over the next week or so.   Love all the stuff - feel I should know where it is, but can't place it yet. Going to be "duh - of COURSE" when someone identifies it, I'm sure!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 07:48:03 »

Assuming normal rules apply

E is Pen y Mount Junction on the Welsh Highland Railway just outside Porthmadog.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 09:39:09 »

A: Isle of Man - childhood holiday destination. 1: Isle of Man Railway terminus at Douglas, 2: Snaefell summit - Snaelfell Mountain Railway, 3: Peel - Manx Heritage Transport Museum near site of old station, and 4: Laxey on the Laxey Mines Railway showing tunnel under Douglas - Ramsey road. Just spotted that No. 1 is our family engine as well - always our favourite. BTW (by the way), the Manx might object to being included in GB (Great Britain)Smiley
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 09:50:02 by Oxonhutch » Logged
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 09:49:15 »

M is Shackerstone railway museum on the Battlefield line near Market Bosworth.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 09:51:36 »

C is the Aberystwyth Cliff Railway and Devil's Bridge station on the Vale of Rheidol railway.
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 10:06:11 »

C yes
M yes, a fascinating place, and yes Grahame, please use as you wish, I may have other similar ones
A yes, all 4, unfortunately the museum at Peel was closed on that day, but we did have good walk from Douglas for a couple of km along the route to St Johns/Peel. 5 day pass for all transport and museums on the island very good value was about 6 years ago. Also interesting route by plane from Gloucester!
E yes, well done. it was a coincidence, in evening after seeing the work on Russell in the workshops on WHHR, we walked down the route of the line where a loco was being offloaded.

I'm impressed by all the identifications, particularly of E and M.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 13:45:14 by Reginald25 » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 12:23:50 »

"J" is a Sittingbourne and Kemsley locomotive but NOT on the Sittingbourne and Kemsley - I am guessing that the picture might be Alston.

I remember giving a C Shell course for Shell at Sittingbourne, and finding it a bit of an unfortunate tongue twister. The Sittingbourne and Kemsey is a line I really want to get back to some year soon ... when we can travel again.  And - looking forward - heard this morning of the first of our rail friends being invited in for his Coronavirus vaccination first shot ... first steps towards being able to perhaps travel next summer and see these places again.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 13:25:07 »

J Yes, at Alston station. I can't confirm where the loco is from so I take it that you are correct with a Sittingbourne loco
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 13:43:18 by Reginald25 » Logged
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 13:36:47 »

N - Bennerley Viaduct
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 13:42:47 »

N - Yes, Bennerley, near Nottingham. Amazing viaduct, worth a look if you are in the area. Didn't get taken down due to the metalwork being incompatible with torch cutting.
Now part of a possible predestrian/cycle route.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 16:30:25 by Reginald25 » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 14:10:47 »

J Yes, at Alston station. I can't confirm where the loco is from so I take it that you are correct with a Sittingbourne loco

Thanks ... further follow up (I have egg on my face) suggests this loco did not come from / run at Sittingbourne; a reasonable well spread industrial style / design, I suspect; the link to Kent being just through a reminder of trips in my use to the newly started heritage passenger operation there.

Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 19:22:34 »

Still waiting for

BF (Brake First (carriage)) GH IL KP QR (QR Code - Quick Response code)

Clues tomorrow if not answered by then.To the best of my knowledge all are still in existence except G
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 20:24:10 »

L Millers Dale Viaducts on the Monsal Trail
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: