Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:55 Great Malvern to London Paddington
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:11 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
11:37 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
13:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 14:10:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[129] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[46] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[20] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[18] Cornish delays
[2] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: A Short Walk Advent Quiz 17th December  (Read 3903 times)
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2020, 23:16:20 »

I think 8 is Maidenhead.

Right River wrong place.

It?s below Teddington. Look at the mud. Is it Kingston?
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2020, 23:22:53 »

How about Kew Bridge?

Yes its Kew
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2020, 23:27:34 »

Right Time for some clues to the remaining pictures

1. On a former southern line in Devon
3. A short boat trip to see some Red squirrels
5. Inland but called an Island
7. Portman road is near the station
10. Nursery rime with a horse and a cross
11. The station is near this picture but the naming of the station is odd
12. Russians like to visit
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2020, 23:39:27 »

3. Poole.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2020, 23:48:13 »

3. Poole.

Yes
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2020, 00:00:46 »

10. Banbury? or a short ish walk away from.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2020, 00:01:35 »

How about Kew Bridge?

Yes its Kew

That wasn't exactly a short walk, was it...

I remember Dad telling me that Kew Bridge was built with Kemnay granite - he was brought up on a farm right next to the quarry. Now, Wikipedia says it was made of Cornish granite, so which is it? I though I ought to find out.

"Neutral" newspapers from when it was opened (1903) say mostly that is used both Cornish and Aberdeenshire granite, though the Aberdeen Press & Journal says "nearly all" from Aberdeenshire quarries. Specifically, the arches - what you'd see as the bridge - were in the sparkly silver stone from Kemnay, also used in several major buildings in Aberdeen and in London. One of the first was Holborn Viaduct, and:
Kemnay granite provided the foundations for the Forth and Tay bridges, the Liver Building in Liverpool, numerous bank headquarters in London, several London bridges, including the Tower, Blackfriars, Southwark, Vauxhall, Kew and Putney, and the Queen Victoria memorial opposite Buckingham Palace was built in the sparkling stone.  More recently it has been used for the construction of the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh.

It probably wasn't a coincidence that the contractor was a Scot - Easton Gibb, who began his career as a railway engineer. Grace's Guide lists:
He then carried out as contractor a succession of heavy constructional works, including the Aberdeen Waterworks; the Rhymney Railway, Cardiff; the Callander and Oban Railway; Dundee Waterworks; the Cannock Chase (London and North-Western) Railway; the Leyburn and Hawes Branch, North-Eastern Railway; Bradford Waterworks; King Edward VII Bridge, Kew; the North-Eastern Railway main line leading to the new High Level Bridge, Newcastle-on-Tyne; Docks at Newport, Ipswich; and the new Naval Base at Rosyth.

And of course the most modern construction methods were used, in case you were wondering. A temporary wooden bridge was built for the road, then the old bridge demolished and new foundations and abutments built inside coffer dams. The heavy materials were moved out and in via a Blondin (cable crane), first used in a quarry at Kemnay and perhaps invented by its owner John Fyfe. All the stones he supplied were precut to shape at the quarry and lowered into place.

And when it was finished, having taken five years from enabling act to naming, for about ?170, 000 split between Surrey and Middlesex, Easton Gibb presented a bill for ?20,000 for extra expenses incurred. Half that was approved initially; I don't know whether he got the rest.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2020, 00:08:21 »

Just to the north where the A423 goes straight and up a hill, and the canal bears right.   ///movie.food.busy on what three words.  Taken a boat past there many times but a long time ago - "Duh - of course" when I saw the clue.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2020, 07:11:04 »

12. Russians like to visit

If it is Salisbury I can't place the location.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2020, 07:31:25 »

12. River Nadder Salisbury NR» (Network Rail - home page) Churchfields.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2020, 08:08:35 »

Mostly from the clue, I wonder if No. 11 is near Woolhampton - close to Midgham Station.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2020, 09:08:17 »

I should have recognised no. 7 as Neptune Quay - though when I was there five years ago I was inside that curved building (Waterfont Building of the University Campus Suffolk), not looking across the marina. But then Ipswich has always been rather a non-place (a bit like like Rreading?).

While everyone calls that Neptune Quay, the owners/promoters call it Neptune Marina. I guess that's meant to sound better than the previous names: Wet Dock and Common Quay. At least the road to the right of Waterfront Building is still called Coprolite Street, which is ... very unusual!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 09:22:00 by stuving » Logged
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2020, 09:16:45 »

Yes
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2020, 09:25:35 »

If it is Salisbury I can't place the location.

12. River Nadder Salisbury NR» (Network Rail - home page) Churchfields.

Yes its Salisbury it would have been a lot easier if I had used another picture I took at the same spot
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2020, 09:28:09 »

Mostly from the clue, I wonder if No. 11 is near Woolhampton - close to Midgham Station.

Yes it is this is looking east from near the swing bridge.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: