Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:10 Newbury to Reading
Short Run
07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 10:28:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[126] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[69] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[57] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[54] Cornish delays
[14] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Travel advice - Christmas and tiers ... from 19.12.2020  (Read 5468 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 19, 2020, 18:24:16 »

A new thread - fresh lick of paint, 19th December 2020, for travel advice.  A fast changing few days ...

Headline No. 1 ... if in doubt, don't!

Headline No. 2 ... if you MUST,
- cover your face with a mask
- space out / social distancing
- clean hands often and thoroughly

Headline No. 3 ... public transport is basically SAFE (awaiting confrirmation with the new Covid variant)
- but make sure that what you're travelling TO is legal, safe, open, necessary

Something that may get me into hot water.   Please assume that YOU are infectious when you travel; space from others not only for what you might pick up, but also what you may give to them.  AND THAT MEANS that if you are not wearing a mask (because you and a group that can claim exemption, and need to claim it) you should "double-space" to show your understanding and protect everyone else.

From Dr Chris Witty this afternoon - "If you've packed you bag for Christmas, unpack it!" - happy to quote the propaganda if it's right - but that doesn't feel like propaganda - feels like common sense.  Look forward to NEXT Christmas, and the one after that ...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 20:20:48 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 08:51:43 »

For those of us in Tier 4 the following applies:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-4-stay-at-home
I can see cycling round Reading for long will make me feel like a hamster in wheel.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 09:25:20 »

A new thread - fresh lick of paint, 19th December 2020, for travel advice.  A fast changing few days ...

Headline No. 1 ... if in doubt, don't!

Headline No. 2 ... if you MUST,
- cover your face with a mask
- space out / social distancing
- clean hands often and thoroughly

Headline No. 3 ... public transport is basically SAFE (awaiting confrirmation with the new Covid variant)
- but make sure that what you're travelling TO is legal, safe, open, necessary

Something that may get me into hot water.   Please assume that YOU are infectious when you travel; space from others not only for what you might pick up, but also what you may give to them.  AND THAT MEANS that if you are not wearing a mask (because you and a group that can claim exemption, and need to claim it) you should "double-space" to show your understanding and protect everyone else.

From Dr Chris Witty this afternoon - "If you've packed you bag for Christmas, unpack it!" - happy to quote the propaganda if it's right - but that doesn't feel like propaganda - feels like common sense.  Look forward to NEXT Christmas, and the one after that ...

I'll try to be a bit more succinct (no offence)

Unless it is absolutely necessary to travel based on the prescribed criteria, don't travel. It isn't safe. Turkey will be available at Easter too, and more people will be alive to enjoy it if you stay put now.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 10:01:35 »

I agree the message.

May I just check in pedant mode a few of your words.

... don't travel. It isn't safe. ....

My understanding is that travel by train, or bus - with appropriate social distancing regimes, cleaning and masks, has been evaluated and it's been shown that the travel is safe.  It's what people do when they get "there" that is dangerous - going into homes, crowded places, etc.    Now - that was before the new strain in the South East which is said to spread faster; do you have any information / evidence that the precautions again "properly" spaced and masked trains and buses are ineffective against this new strain which leads you to your "travel isn't safe" conclusion?

Have no doubt - I am still discouraging optional travel - but want to be clear on whether travel itself by train has become dangerous.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 10:14:15 »

If you need to travel, walk or cycle where possible, and plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport. This will allow you to practise social distancing while you travel.
From the above link.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 11:02:28 »

Have no doubt - I am still discouraging optional travel - but want to be clear on whether travel itself by train has become dangerous.

Optional travel is not an option in Tier 4, essential journeys only

For example travelling by train from Weymouth to Norwich via London is not permitted unless its for work, education or medical appointment

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 11:29:58 »

For example travelling by train from Weymouth to Norwich via London is not permitted unless its for work, education or medical appointment

Yes, appreciated the cross-London issue.  Gives rise to other questions though...
Basingstoke (Hants, tier 2) to Oxford (Oxon, tier 2) - allowed or not because Reading is in tier 4 - no change of trains
Basingstoke (Hants, tier 2) to Swindon (tier 2) - allowed or not because Reading is in tier 4 - with change of trains
Note - I am not promoting these journeys, just asking about permissibility.

Useful confirmation but no answer to my main question - "has the train with social distancing, masks, cleaning, etc, moved from a safe way of getting around to being unsafe with the new more easily transmittable variant?"

Press and publicity is strongly on tier 4 this morning - and that is the news - it's new, and it applies to a lot of people and the area in which the national decision makers themselves live and work for the most part.  It's also strongly on the reduction of the Christmas concession (which IMHO (in my humble opinion) looked risky in the first place) down from 5 to 1 day - and that a day when no public transport is running.  However, Tiers 2, 3 and 1 life carries on to the same rules as those tiers, so we are not looking at a ban on all optional travel and indeed there is encourgament to undertake an element of none-essential life to keep economy and business ticking over; education too except it's largely stopped until the new year.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 15:21:42 »

Yes, appreciated the cross-London issue.  Gives rise to other questions though...
Basingstoke (Hants, tier 2) to Oxford (Oxon, tier 2) - allowed or not because Reading is in tier 4 - no change of trains
Basingstoke (Hants, tier 2) to Swindon (tier 2) - allowed or not because Reading is in tier 4 - with change of trains
Note - I am not promoting these journeys, just asking about permissibility.

Useful confirmation but no answer to my main question - "has the train with social distancing, masks, cleaning, etc, moved from a safe way of getting around to being unsafe with the new more easily transmittable variant?"

Press and publicity is strongly on tier 4 this morning - and that is the news - it's new, and it applies to a lot of people and the area in which the national decision makers themselves live and work for the most part.  It's also strongly on the reduction of the Christmas concession (which IMHO (in my humble opinion) looked risky in the first place) down from 5 to 1 day - and that a day when no public transport is running.  However, Tiers 2, 3 and 1 life carries on to the same rules as those tiers, so we are not looking at a ban on all optional travel and indeed there is encourgament to undertake an element of none-essential life to keep economy and business ticking over; education too except it's largely stopped until the new year.

From the Government website for Tier 3 https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-3-very-high-alert#travel

You should stay local and avoid travelling outside of your local area, meaning your village or town, or part of a city, where possible. People should continue to travel for reasons such as work, education, medical attention or caring responsibilities.

You should still avoid travelling outside your tier 3 area other than for the reasons like those above, and reduce the number of journeys you make wherever possible.

For Tier 2 it says You can travel through a Tier 3 area as a part of a longer journey; but makes no mention of Tier 4

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 21:10:32 »

Still not clear how much of this is legal prohibition as opposed to  "guidance". The new Health Regualtions ( i.e law) have not ( Sunday ) yet been published.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 21:42:39 »

Still not clear how much of this is legal prohibition as opposed to  "guidance". The new Health Regualtions ( i.e law) have not ( Sunday ) yet been published.

A very interesting comment ... I noted an article in the Spectator that hints at an answer.

As is perhaps inevitable when advance notice is given of a stable door shutting, the response of many in London last night was to head for the railway stations and get out of town whilst they could.

The reaction to this has been condemnation. The Health Secretary Matt Hancock described the scenes at stations as 'totally irresponsible'. The Transport Secretary Grant Shapps weighed in, not just with condemnation, but hinting at a police response. He said 'If you are in Tier 4, the law means you must stay at home and you cannot stay overnight away from home'; 'Follow the guidance and please do not come to a station unless you are permitted to travel. Extra British Transport Police officers are being deployed to ensure only those who need to take essential journeys can travel safely.' Peter Hendy, the government?s 'Christmas travel tsar' (who knew?) said that 'additional BTP (British Transport Police) officers are in place to ensure only essential journeys take place'.

What does the law say?

When I refer to law, I mean ...

[snip]

From the get-go, despite having draconian powers at its fingertips, the government seems to have resolved to overstate its exercise of those powers in published guidance, rather than taking the more obvious step of passing laws that matched what it wished for.

Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 07:50:08 »

Government travel advice has now been updated. For us (Exeter-Tier 2) it now says 'where necessary, you can travel through tier 3 and tier 4 areas as part of a longer journey' so our return on 27/12 via London will now be OK - as long as EMR» (East Midlands Railway, also known as EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) (East Midlands Trains) - about) & GWR (Great Western Railway) don't cancel the services!
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 11:50:26 »

A further interesting point from the Essex Police and Crime Commissioner re Tier 4. "It is not illegal to travel. It is illegal to leave your house other than for the 39 specific reasons to do so." Police can check your reason for being out but they cannot prevent you from travel !
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2020, 12:54:41 »

My understanding is that travel by train, or bus - with appropriate social distancing regimes, cleaning and masks, has been evaluated and it's been shown that the travel is safe.  It's what people do when they get "there" that is dangerous - going into homes, crowded places, etc.    Now - that was before the new strain in the South East which is said to spread faster; do you have any information / evidence that the precautions again "properly" spaced and masked trains and buses are ineffective against this new strain which leads you to your "travel isn't safe" conclusion?

An update - for the new strain, I'm told that  information is currently incomplete as to how effective social distancing is.  Early days, being evaluated.  My sources are reasonable but not always accurate, but whatever the accuracy it's sensible to only travel if you need to, and keep any travel local if you possibly can.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2020, 16:00:13 »

I hope Chris Rea is a student ...

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2020, 20:06:24 »

I hope Chris Rea is a student ...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: