13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
Delayed
08:34 Didcot Parkway to Banbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 08:10:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Least changed stations?  (Read 3022 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 03, 2021, 12:45:55 »

From a Facebook post I read ...

Although this [Cxxxxx] station is still in use, it's not like this now!

Which stations across the GWR (Great Western Railway) area are LEAST changed from what they were 50 or 100 years ago?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 12:51:18 »

Blue Anchor?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 13:42:20 »

For many years Hanwell (or Hanwell & Elthorne as the old-fashioned signs proclaimed) was like a remarkable place where time seemed to have stood still since before nationalisation. I assume though that CrossRail and LT have now changed all that.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 14:36:45 »

I assume though that CrossRail and LT have now changed all that.

At platform level very little has changed - other than twice the number of trains stopping during the week and a Sunday service - as I believe it is protected?

Lifts have recently been added though.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 14:37:51 »

From some of my previous posts it will be clear that as a general rule I don’t like getting bogged down in definitions, preferring to rely more on the underlying reason for the rule or he strategy or the policy. However in this case the definitions are important. What exactly does the question mean, and how do you define “least changed?” A few options spring to mind:

Presumably we ignore the change of use of certain rooms. For example, all but the smallest stations had a stationmaster’s office. If that room is still there it probably no longer contains the person in charge of the establishment.

If we mean an identical signalling and track layout to that which existed 50 years ago, let alone 100, we won’t find many. Even if you did happen to find one or two you wouldn’t find many with jointed track and bullhead rail, but perhaps that’s being far too pedantic.

If we just mean architecturally least changed then the numbers begin to rise, helped along by listed building status. So in this category we could have Slough, Twyford, Bristol Temple Meads, Bath Spa and Cheltenham Spa Lansdown to start the list.

If we include station that are substantially the same but have some platforms that no longer have track against all of them, we can add Taunton to the list. Chippenham could not be included under this definition because it used to have a bay platform that is no longer there.

If we mean stations that are virtually identical to what was there in days of old, but is no longer used as a station, Bath Green Park would be high on the list
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 14:54:03 »

From some of my previous posts it will be clear that as a general rule I don’t like getting bogged down in definitions, preferring to rely more on the underlying reason for the rule or he strategy or the policy. However in this case the definitions are important. What exactly does the question mean, and how do you define “least changed?” A few options spring to mind:

Presumably we ignore the change of use of certain rooms. For example, all but the smallest stations had a stationmaster’s office. If that room is still there it probably no longer contains the person in charge of the establishment.

If we mean an identical signalling and track layout to that which existed 50 years ago, let alone 100, we won’t find many. Even if you did happen to find one or two you wouldn’t find many with jointed track and bullhead rail, but perhaps that’s being far too pedantic.

If we just mean architecturally least changed then the numbers begin to rise, helped along by listed building status. So in this category we could have Slough, Twyford, Bristol Temple Meads, Bath Spa and Cheltenham Spa Lansdown to start the list.

If we include station that are substantially the same but have some platforms that no longer have track against all of them, we can add Taunton to the list. Chippenham could not be included under this definition because it used to have a bay platform that is no longer there.

If we mean stations that are virtually identical to what was there in days of old, but is no longer used as a station, Bath Green Park would be high on the list

Um... Blue Anchor?

I do like Blue Anchor... drove a Small Prairie there once, too.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 15:29:27 »

Until its complete relaying as part of the South Island Sewerage Project, the Isle of Man Railway had stations including their signals worked by windlasses unchanged since the 1870's. An utter time warp with rolling stock to match. I drove a small Manx Peacock there too!
PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 18:20:34 »

Whilst Cheltenham Spa Lansdown is indeed pretty much unchanged at platform level (if one case use the word 'pretty' at all for the platform level), the public side did alas suffer the inelegance of losing the colonnade 1961.  Mind you, it's all much better than poor old Stonehouse ... there's nothing polite to be said about that BR (British Rail(ways)) destruction.

Whereas two more stations that are architecturally unchanged are Kemble and Stroud - and Kemble really is pretty.
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 19:14:18 »

St Erth is still pretty much unchanged, even down to the signals. Arguably the least changed mainline GWR (Great Western Railway) station.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 20:18:32 »

Um... Blue Anchor?

I do like Blue Anchor... drove a Small Prairie there once, too.

You’d already mentioned Blue Anchor before I posted so I didn’t need to say it again. You've mentioned it twice now  Grin

One of the problems here of course is that one can only think of and comment on a station if you’ve actually used it and probably a number of times. As pointed out for example, Cheltenham Lansdown looks much the same at platform level and, whilst I’ve changed there on one or two occasions, I have only left and entered the station about half a dozen times in my life, and never back in the 60s. As someone pointed put on another thread some time ago, if you actually wanted to go to the centre of Cheltenham back then, St James was a far better option with Malvern Road being a close second.

In the case of Cornwall I couldn’t really comment because my experience of actually going in and out of stations there is limited to Looe, Par, Newquay, Truro, St Ives and Penzance, and I have changed trains at Bodmin Road/ Parkway and St Erth. What the rest of ‘em look lke from the outside is a closed book to me!

Although this thread is specific in its geographical area, looking briefly further afield two stations that looked virtually identical in 1967 and 2018 are Hellifield and Skipton, Photos to prove it:

Hellifield:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/43305136480/

Skipton: https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/45215021952/

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 20:22:16 »

Whereas two more stations that are architecturally unchanged are Kemble and Stroud - and Kemble really is pretty.
Kemble is very pretty. Stroud isn't bad and way back in the past (1970s and 80s, maybe even early 90s) it used to have hanging baskets in the summer, which made it prettier; but I think the tradition might have died out when whichever member of staff it was retired.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 20:27:45 »

Surely Bristol TM(resolve), Exeter St D, Pewsey and Yeovil PM are significant contenders.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 21:02:54 »

One of the - err - beauties of this question is that it means such different things to different people.   Perhaps smaller stations will be changed less because there's less to be changed.  I looked at some of the smaller stations on the Looe branch / never had any goods sidings so nothing too change.  Yeovil Pen Mill, yes, feels set back in time.  Took a look at Penmere, but it wasn't even open 100 years ago!   Blue Anchor - not GWR (Great Western Railway) now. Just one small siding gone, as far as I can see.   St Erth - yes, but very recent changes removed the second bay and gave a huge outlet to the south car park. Downside sidings to the east have gone. Temple Meads - the whole old train shed has gone.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 22:42:12 »

...and there are particularly fine surviving buildings in good condition at Mortimer and Charlbury.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2021, 07:57:29 »

St Erth is still pretty much unchanged, even down to the signals. Arguably the least changed mainline GWR (Great Western Railway) station.

That was the case until the bay platform works in 2019.  The engineer's siding was greatly shortened and the platform built out.  This was to better accommodate the bigger numbers travelling through St Erth because of the park and ride moving to there.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: