Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 03:35:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuck in a train overnight.  (Read 7699 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 08:17:40 »

The parent(s) might be (re-)considering whether they might have been a tad young to be out in the evening on their own.

At what age is it acceptable for someone to be left locked in a train overnight?

No age is acceptable to be locked in a train, and an enquiry should be held as to how this happened.

Hits nail FOH (firmly on head)
VickiS
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2021, 08:34:58 »

I fully agree with this!
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2021, 08:47:13 »

'Mum-of-five Bonnie said "It begs the question - how could this happen?'' '

Could it possibly be because Bonnie doesn't understand the concept of Parental Responsibility?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2021, 09:17:21 »

Could it possibly be because Bonnie doesn't understand the concept of Parental Responsibility?

No - it's because those responsible for ensuring that the train was empty before locking it for the night failed to do so.

eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2021, 09:35:08 »

I have seen comments elsewhere that they did not have tickets and may have hidden when the train was checked.  How thorough should the search be when checking the train is empty?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2021, 10:00:58 »

I have seen comments elsewhere that they did not have tickets and may have hidden when the train was checked.  How thorough should the search be when checking the train is empty?

I saw that asked as a question which may have drifted into a statement.  I suggest we discuss the facts as reported and our views on them - if that comment is part of a report, by all means quote it and give the reference, but we should be careful before going further down that line.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2021, 11:10:04 »

Not certain that parental responsibility comes into it. On the facts known so far it does not sound iresponsible to have let the children travel. 12 year olds if of average abilities should be able to use a train without parental supervision.

The error appears to have been on the part of the railway for not checking the train before locking it.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2021, 15:44:47 »

Bit more detail here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-56476935
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2021, 18:47:54 »

The later report linked to above, suggests last minute travel without tickets, rather than a properly planned journey.
That was somewhat irresponsible and dishonest on the part of the children. However it must be accepted that children DO things that most adults do not.
I do not feel that the parents should be blamed for a "one off" childish error. If the children REGULARLY do this sort of thing, then that might suggest a lack of parental control, but nothing in the published reports suggests anything but "one off" and relatively minor misbehavior.

The absence of tickets MIGHT suggest deliberate hiding from the staff checking the train.
This I must stress is PURE SPECULATION on my part, however it seems reasonable speculation, remembering that many passengers without tickets DO HIDE.

The possibility of deliberate hiding begs the question "how thoroughly are rail staff expected to check empty trains" ?
I would presume a simple walk through, to locate any child or adult who has fallen asleep, and not a full search under every seat.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2021, 19:02:49 »

I’m sure on train or station CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) will clear up any inconsistencies from any of the parties involved.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2021, 19:10:53 »

From their mother - ""Any adults who saw two 12-year-olds getting off a train on their own should have questioned that."

Would you? Coz I'm not sure I would....
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2021, 19:15:42 »

I’m sure on train or station CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) will clear up any inconsistencies from any of the parties involved.

Agree.
If the girls were sleeping in plain view, and not found that suggests that the train was not checked.
If they were deliberately hiding, then in my view rail staff are not to be blamed.

It still sounds like the sort of relatively minor misbehavior to which children are prone. No serious harm was done.
Learning points for these children.
Buy a ticket.
Try to stay awake.
Do not hide.
Tell your parents where you are going and what you are doing.
Make certain that your cellphone is charged and in working order.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2021, 19:25:30 »

From their mother - ""Any adults who saw two 12-year-olds getting off a train on their own should have questioned that."

Would you? Coz I'm not sure I would....

I would not consider two 12 year olds getting of a train to be of concern or something that should be reported, unless there was some ADDITIONAL REASON for concern.

If they looked sick, or injured, intoxicated, drugged, or otherwise distressed, then that would be cause for concern.
A very remote location, or very bad weather for which the youngsters were not dressed might also be grounds for concern.

But otherwise, it is IMHO (in my humble opinion) OK for 12 year olds to use a train without parental supervision.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2021, 19:47:21 »

But otherwise, it is IMHO (in my humble opinion) OK for 12 year olds to use a train without parental supervision.

Agreed ... I might also take a second concerned look if it was late in the evening / at night, or if they were joining a very long distance service with minimal stops.  Joining the London Express at Glasgow Central, for example. But late afternoon getting on the Balloch or Helensburgh stopper, no second glance unless some of those other things you mentioned apply.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2021, 22:55:56 »

It looks like an investigation using the CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) footage has revealed that the two girls deliberately hid under the seats from staff checking the train rather than falling asleep as originally claimed:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/two-12-year-old-girls-found-themselves-stuck-on-a-train-in-helensburgh-overnight-after-hiding-from-staff-3174652

Perhaps that's why they didn't use an emergency egress at some point during the night?  The railway has a duty of care for its passengers of course, even if they are fare evaders, so can't be blameless, but this does cast a rather different light on the matter, and also the reliability of the rest of the girls account of what happened.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 00:36:21 by IndustryInsider » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: