17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 06:04:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (Not a) Replacement Foot Crossing Yateley - Sandhurst  (Read 12342 times)
RichT54

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2021, 10:24:58 »

I seem to remember reading some time ago that Network Rail wanted to close all the foot crossings over the North Downs Line as part of the 3 trains per hour scheme. This morning I decided to use the crossing between Yateley and Sandhurst for the first time and was surprised to find a new, more substantial crossing under construction that will connect to a new footpath across to Shepherds Meadow in Sandhurst.

[You need to be logged in to see the 3 attached photos]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 17:44:21 by RichT54 » Logged
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 13:01:22 »

I'd forgotten that the North Downs line went through Hampshire. It seems to mostly follow the inside of the boundary very closely around Blackwater and Farnborough. For much of the route the boundary with Surrey seems to be 10-50 metres away.

Bing OS (Ordnance Survey) map of Blackwater
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 14:36:03 »

The boundary is of course following the Blackwater, and so - more or less - is the railway, for its own reasons.

I can't remember hearing about mass crossing closures on the North Downs Line, which isn't exactly good evidence either way. This one is called Darby Green (which it's close to, though it's in Yateley civil parish), and it's always been there, as has the footpath. The route did change a few metres to a new bridge over the river, but that was ages ago - HCC are just using a very old map.

The crossing scored C3 in ALCRM, where A is the highest risk to individuals on the crossing and 1 the highest risk overall (13 steps each). The key risk drivers were:
* Large Numbers of Users
* Sun Glare
* Frequent Trains.

That was confirmed last year, and a new inspection was due this month! I guess widening the crossing addresses one of those, a bit.
FenMan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 12:10:07 »

I must pop down and take a look as the crossing is a short cycle from my front door. The notice also mentions upgrading the path on the Shepherds Meadow side of the crossing - I hope they've done a good job as the old path was not really suitable for cycling and was also prone to flooding.
RichT54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 10:09:53 »

I went down and had another look at the crossing this morning (Sunday 16/5).

All the temporary fencing and building materials have gone and it looks like the  workmen have left the site for the time being. On the Darby Green side there is now a permanent security fence with a padlocked vehicle sized gate leading onto a concrete area flanked by steel barriers which in turn leads onto the new crossing. The new crossing isn't connected to anything on the opposite side.

I'm wondering if what they have built so far is not actually the new pedestrian crossing mentioned on the notices, but an access point to allow Road-Rail vehicles to get on and off the tracks?

The old pedestrian crossing is still in use and there is no sign of a new path across Shepherd Meadows, just the old gravel track dotted with puddles.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 10:56:20 »

I'm wondering if what they have built so far is not actually the new pedestrian crossing mentioned on the notices, but an access point to allow Road-Rail vehicles to get on and off the tracks?

The old pedestrian crossing is still in use and there is no sign of a new path across Shepherd Meadows, just the old gravel track dotted with puddles.

You're right. The Darby Green level crossing is at LOR SW265 56m 22ch, and looking in the EAS, from March there are two entries near there marked "RRAP (Road Rail Access Point) work 56m 14ch and 56m 30ch W2020/7423979". Which says much the same thing in railway-code. 

Why there are two sites, 320 m apart, I've no idea, unless it's really defining a stretch of line. Where is this new access gate? I'd expect it at the end of a cul-de-sac, of which there are several along there, but none lines up exactly with that LOR chainage.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 11:22:41 »

I went down and had another look at the crossing this morning (Sunday 16/5).

All the temporary fencing and building materials have gone and it looks like the  workmen have left the site for the time being. On the Darby Green side there is now a permanent security fence with a padlocked vehicle sized gate leading onto a concrete area flanked by steel barriers which in turn leads onto the new crossing. The new crossing isn't connected to anything on the opposite side.

The new construction is not a public crossing its a RRAP (Road Rail Access Point) (Road Rail Access Point) for on and off tracking Road / Rail plant.  Its construction would have no bearing on the future of the public pedestrian crossing, other than potentially taking land that could have been used to construct a foot bridge

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: