Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 00:22:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with IET trains from April 2021  (Read 95686 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: June 21, 2023, 17:45:43 »

I most certainly have been along that section of track in an IET (Intercity Express Train) and doubtless shall again as my son lives in Falmouth!

A good place to live.

Many different beers and wines have been drunk in Falmouth, as indeed was I at some point a few decades ago.

Now, please!
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #601 on: June 22, 2023, 07:43:32 »

Lived there for many years, met and married my Wife, also from Falmouth, in Falmouth!
Neither of us are Cornish, but Cornish by association and living in Cornwall for many many years (but that's a totally different topic).

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Kernowman

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 25, 2023, 22:26:58 »

sharp/sharpish curves such as just to the west of Dawlish Warren and between Dainton and Totnes  where these IETs (Intercity Express Train) bogies negotiate in a series of straight jerks compared  to the seamless flow experienced on HSTs (High Speed Train).
Also depending where you are ( uncomfortably ) seated in an IET the noise and rattles from bogies can at times be alarming.

I've certainly noticed the jerks on an IET on the curve just west of Dawlish Warren
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 26, 2023, 01:10:36 »

I've certainly noticed the jerks on an IET (Intercity Express Train)...

Not a problem unique to IETs. You'll find jerks on all sorts of trains. After football and rugby matches, major horse racing meetings, on Friday and Saturday nights heading away from large towns and cities, returning from the seaside of a weekend...
Wink Tongue Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #604 on: June 26, 2023, 03:48:23 »

Seems to be several short forms 5 (vice 9 or 10) already this morning.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 26, 2023, 05:20:01 »

Pinched for extra services for the end of Glastonbury?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 26, 2023, 06:56:45 »

Most likely yes. I suspect the same reason for a number of unavailable IETs (Intercity Express Train) over the last few days as well, GWR (Great Western Railway)’s IET fleet fully stretched to meet the demands of Glastonbury.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #607 on: June 26, 2023, 07:29:27 »

Most likely yes. I suspect the same reason for a number of unavailable IETs (Intercity Express Train) over the last few days as well, GWR (Great Western Railway)’s IET fleet fully stretched to meet the demands of Glastonbury.

The official reason given is "This is due to more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time" - that also for a number of cancellations on Cardiff - Taunton - Penzance. 

I am highly suspicious of the reason given - I agree with other members here that it's probably due to the demands of Glastonbury.   What a sad world where someone feels it's necessary to tell us porkies, or that we suspect we're being fed porkies.  Or perhaps there ARE one or two more than "usual" needed repairs ... on top of half a dozen needed for Glastospecials.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 24, 2023, 13:22:01 »

On an IET (Intercity Express Train) up to London for the first time in a while. Hitachi seem to be no longer cleaning the exterior for some reason, and also, this one's suspension is... firm.

On the bright side, while we were 10 minutes down at Didcot after following a freight that was a bit late into its loop, the Oxford connection was held for a minute to spare the transfer people the hour's wait.

*edit* If I believe my phone, interior sound levels are 80dB too, which isn't particularly quiet. On the good side, driver is giving it beans, though not able to make up the time at this point.

(I don't quite believe my phone, as how does the Physics Toolbox app calibrate itself...)

Mark

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:P75235/2023-07-24/detailed

« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 13:36:16 by Mark A » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 24, 2023, 13:48:00 »

On the bright side, while we were 10 minutes down at Didcot after following a freight that was a bit late into its loop, the Oxford connection was held for a minute to spare the transfer people the hour's wait.

I doubt it was held for connections, but because the previous departure to Oxford left a few minutes late.  Puzzled as to why there would be an hours wait had it not connected though?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 25, 2023, 07:01:42 »

I was waiting at Exeter St David's yesterday (24/06) morning when I heard a member of the platform staff making an announcement apologising to passengers because their service to London Paddington had no reservations because their service was a 9-car instead of the usual 5-car set!

That must be a first!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 25, 2023, 07:12:21 »

I was waiting at Exeter St David's yesterday (24/06) morning when I heard a member of the platform staff making an announcement apologising to passengers because their service to London Paddington had no reservations because their service was a 9-car instead of the usual 5-car set!

That must be a first!

Happened to me a couple of times when it was 10 rather than 9............or possibly the other way around!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #612 on: July 25, 2023, 11:16:24 »

Keep an eye on journeycheck amendments & you'll see it reasonably often (almost daily somewhere)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 25, 2023, 19:46:59 »

Not all short formed services are listed on Journeycheck. I had the misfortune to be on one earlier that was not listed* and also got caught in the delays between London and Reading. Another Delay Repay claim going in.

*This diagram, usually a nine car, had been shorted formed right from the off with the first departure listed as such, subsequent services were not. This was not related to signalling issues between Paddington and Reading.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #614 on: July 26, 2023, 04:14:16 »

05:03 Penzance to London Paddington due 09:55
Facilities on the 05:03 Penzance to London Paddington due 09:55.
Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 10. There are no reservations on this service

Was short formed yesterday as well.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: