Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:18:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[114] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[98] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[36] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[18] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with IET trains from April 2021  (Read 95805 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: July 26, 2023, 09:43:29 »

On the bright side, while we were 10 minutes down at Didcot after following a freight that was a bit late into its loop, the Oxford connection was held for a minute to spare the transfer people the hour's wait.

I doubt it was held for connections, but because the previous departure to Oxford left a few minutes late.  Puzzled as to why there would be an hours wait had it not connected though?

Yes, apologies, I've slandered the railway - being completely conditioned to expect a 50+ minute wait at Didcot for connections to Oxford from the West, the service is now more frequent and there's another at 13:38. The platform staff too were helpfully, er, encouraging people to move at speed between the platforms for the connection.

Mark
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #616 on: July 31, 2023, 14:02:33 »

10:20 Penzance to London Paddington due 15:27
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington due 15:27 will no longer call at Tiverton Parkway and Taunton.
This is due to a fault on this train.

1A84 - non stop Exeter to Reading.
Guessing door problems at the intermediate station calls.
Surely if there is a door problem, it will be present at all the station stops?

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 31, 2023, 14:43:13 »

Perhaps a fault with selective door opening ? In which case the train could stop normally at major stations with long platforms, but not at shorter platforms.
Or possibly low power, that would result in loss of time after a station stop.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 31, 2023, 15:08:06 »

Or possibly low power, that would result in loss of time after a station stop.

Indeed. Low power. A problem that a number of the fleet are suffering.

Realistically you have to wonder how long the IETs (Intercity Express Train) can continue operating like this.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 31, 2023, 19:22:41 »

And as with cracks and other faults, are hitachi paying any compensation for the daily lack of units ? And for the often poor performance of those that do enter service.

I suspect that hitachi have found some wiggle room that avoids such payments. They probably have better lawyers than do GWR (Great Western Railway), HMG, Etc.

And btw does anyone know what caused the low power problem ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #620 on: July 31, 2023, 19:24:51 »

There is a supply contract with Hitachi, and they get penalised iif the required stock units don't get delivered as contract, yes
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 31, 2023, 19:37:53 »

There is a supply contract with Hitachi, and they get penalised iif the required stock units don't get delivered as contract, yes

Sort of.  I believe the contracts between the 800 and 802 are different, the 800 contract being more stringent.

Long term, the running costs COULD be huge.  The engines can’t cope with what’s being asked of them to the point that there’s a significant backlog with the supplier for repairs.  Around a third of the fleet is currently running around with at least one engine isolated. 
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 31, 2023, 19:54:01 »

Long term, the running costs COULD be huge.  The engines can’t cope with what’s being asked of them to the point that there’s a significant backlog with the supplier for repairs.  Around a third of the fleet is currently running around with at least one engine isolated. 
I’m willing to bet the majority of sets with engines out are the 802s operating to/from the Southwest which have to work the hardest travelling the most distance ‘off the wires’. Those trains that are running with at least one engine down will put more strain on the engines that are working.

How sad a rolling program of electrification making it’s away towards the Southwest was never implemented. It’s going to cost more in the long run by not continuing to electrify.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 31, 2023, 21:28:19 »

I’m willing to bet the majority of sets with engines out are the 802s operating to/from the Southwest which have to work the hardest travelling the most distance ‘off the wires’. Those trains that are running with at least one engine down will put more strain on the engines that are working.

How sad a rolling program of electrification making it’s away towards the Southwest was never implemented. It’s going to cost more in the long run by not continuing to electrify.

Actually, the last list I saw was probably an equal split.  800’s are quite often finding themselves down in the South West though.

They either need to ditch the IET (Intercity Express Train), relocate to operators where they’ll spend the majority of the time under the wires and bring a new fleet into to GWR (Great Western Railway).  Failing that, extend electrification.  Reliability isn’t going to improve with age.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 01, 2023, 04:06:47 »

Agree that it is time to give up on the wretched units, at least for long distance express services.
Relocate them to other operators, if anyone wants them, or redeploy them within GWR (Great Western Railway) to outer suburban, regional, or other secondary routes.
Use on slower services should increase reliability as the engines are less stressed.

Build new intercity trains for long distance services.
Bi mode locomotive or power car at each end, no underfloor engines.
Fixed formation 9 or 10 car, or the same total length as a 5+5 IET (Intercity Express Train).
Padded seats. Space for surfboards and other holiday luggage
A proper full sized buffet car, not a micro buffet or parked trolley.
A kitchen to permit of full meal service on selected trains.
design speed of 125 mph on OHLE and 100 MPH on diesel. The reduced speed on diesel would reduce the cost, size and weight of the engines, with a minimal effect on performance.

Train formation, from London end.
Power car, staff access only, storage of catering supplies and emergency equipment.
A first class and kitchen car. About 25 first class seats.
B First class with about 50 seats and two toilets.
C first class with about  44 seats, one wheelchair space and two toilets, one accessible.

D standard class, about 80 seats, two toilets.
E standard class, same as D.
F standard class, about 70 seats, two wheelchair spaces, two toilets one wheelchair accessible. Train mangers office.
G Buffet car, central buffet servery, with longitudinal seating each end of the vehicle. about 40 seats.
H standard class, about 80 seats, two toilets.
I standard class about 80 seats and two toilets.
J same as I.
Power car, staff access only. light express freight, heavy luggage, emergency equipment.

Total 2 and a half first class coaches with about 120 seats.
Total 7 standard class coaches with about 510 seats.
I have assumed relatively long vehicles as used for IETs. With more conventional coaches capacity per vehicle would be reduced, but a total of 11 coaches should be possible without the total length being excessive.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 01, 2023, 06:31:10 »

Yes, I'm sure that's going to happen, the Unicorn I was just speaking to agrees as well.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #626 on: August 01, 2023, 07:18:15 »

Agree that it is time to give up on the wretched units, at least for long distance express services.
Relocate them to other operators, if anyone wants them, or redeploy them within GWR (Great Western Railway) to outer suburban, regional, or other secondary routes.
Use on slower services should increase reliability as the engines are less stressed.

ooooooooooooooz gonna pay for it!
The Treasury are already cutting back.  Can't see them seeing sense just before an election

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #627 on: August 01, 2023, 08:17:44 »

I do recall that previous generations of trains have had issues in their early years.  I took a ride on an IET (Intercity Express Train) yesterday from Bristol Temple Meads to Chippenham.   Perfectly reasonable for my journey; fast enough and on time (thank goodness - 5 minute connection at Chippenham onto a sparse train to Melksham)

Mind you - I hardly ever use any "long distance expresses" on GWR (Great Western Railway) - living in the middle of their patch, all my journeys are more regional that long distance, so perhaps I'm biased by personal use.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 01, 2023, 09:58:50 »

redeploy them within GWR (Great Western Railway) to outer suburban, regional, or other secondary routes.

5 car, absolutely perfect for Portsmouth - Cardiff..............even with 1 or 2 engines down.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 01, 2023, 12:49:38 »

Build new intercity trains for long distance services.
Bi mode locomotive or power car at each end, no underfloor engines.
Fixed formation 9 or 10 car, or the same total length as a 5+5 IET (Intercity Express Train).
Padded seats. Space for surfboards and other holiday luggage
A proper full sized buffet car, not a micro buffet or parked trolley.
A kitchen to permit of full meal service on selected trains.
design speed of 125 mph on OHLE and 100 MPH on diesel. The reduced speed on diesel would reduce the cost, size and weight of the engines, with a minimal effect on performance.

Train formation, from London end.
Power car, staff access only, storage of catering supplies and emergency equipment.
A first class and kitchen car. About 25 first class seats.
B First class with about 50 seats and two toilets.
C first class with about  44 seats, one wheelchair space and two toilets, one accessible.

D standard class, about 80 seats, two toilets.
E standard class, same as D.
F standard class, about 70 seats, two wheelchair spaces, two toilets one wheelchair accessible. Train mangers office.
G Buffet car, central buffet servery, with longitudinal seating each end of the vehicle. about 40 seats.
H standard class, about 80 seats, two toilets.
I standard class about 80 seats and two toilets.
J same as I.
Power car, staff access only. light express freight, heavy luggage, emergency equipment.

Total 2 and a half first class coaches with about 120 seats.
Total 7 standard class coaches with about 510 seats.
I have assumed relatively long vehicles as used for IETs. With more conventional coaches capacity per vehicle would be reduced, but a total of 11 coaches should be possible without the total length being excessive.

I'm really not sure why I'm bothering, but let's put aside the fact that there's no chance of it happening.

You're proposing a train that has eleven vehicles (nine carriages and two power cars), adds a buffet, removes a kitchen (compared with a 10-car IET formation), adds a TM(resolve)'s office, increases the number of toilets by six from 10 to 16, increases first class seating by 50, reduces standard class by 70 seats (so 20 less seats overall)...and still manages to fit within the overall length of an existing 10-car IET?  Oh, and presumably there's more seats at tables and no leg room compromises?

Quite apart from the folly of suggesting a 12% reduction in standard class seating at a time where some leisure trains are already packed to the rafters, I'd love to see a crayonista make that work as an actual working design!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: