Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
15:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
16:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:35 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
13:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 14:15:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[154] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[47] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[12] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking backward, looking forward.  (Read 3592 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 02, 2021, 08:48:34 »

From my daily scribbling in Melksham

When I asked the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) (Office of Rail and Road) in 2005 how busy the railway line through Melksham was, they came back with ticketed passenger journey numbers of around 3,000 per year. The figure to March 2020, including the start of the first lockdown, was 75,000.

[continues]

And I have risked getting my crystal ball out ...

In four years time - in line with the table above - I can see travel to and from Melksham Station looking something like this:

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 09:55:50 »

What factors led you to forecast passengers rising from 75,000 to 250,000 over the next four years Graham?

For example, I'd be interested in your thoughts on how the new, post Covid world of changed working practices may influence this?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 10:59:09 »

What factors led you to forecast passengers rising from 75,000 to 250,000 over the next four years Graham?

For example, I'd be interested in your thoughts on how the new, post Covid world of changed working practices may influence this?

From a year ago - see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=22954 which suggested an outcome of between 260,000 and 600,000 over a period.  Since then, yes, you have covid and changed works patterns making a big difference in one direction, but you have the climate change agenda pushing it in the other direction.   Also in Melksham we have a further local area plan that indicates a growth of the town far more than would have been anticipated - our MP (Member of Parliament) mentioned a doubling in size at a public Zoom meeting.   So the 250,000 and the timescale is far more of a guess than it was just last Spring - there's an even wider spread of possible outcomes - but look through all those provisos in the referred post and that is well where we might be.

Edit to add ... the 250k figure in the longer run allows for an average drop from five round trips to around three for work "commuters" - won't be the same for everyone - that's an average, using varied evidence to suggest that people expect this sort of level. other reasons for travel to be less changed if at all.   More like half term all the time??

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:14:39 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 17:21:03 »

As you are now entering politics Graham, and remembering "Yes Minister", I would say that you are making a very "courageous" forecast!  Smiley
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 23:46:50 »

I would say making any kind of forecast at the moment is verging on foolish, though I would be very wary of accusing Graham of being a fool.  Well done for sticking your neck out, or as TG would say, very ‘courageous’ of you...and fair play for doing it.

Time will tell as to how accurate your prediction is.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 03:05:08 »

Gentlemen, do note the caveats and social change notes on the evidence that already backs up this piece, and the table described as "Where might we be in the future".  Perhaps it [is/was] courageous or foolish to point out where we could be ... perhaps "should" might have been a better woollifier?

Caveats
1. The service needs to be safe and reliable
2. Capacity needs to increase in line with demand
3. Frequency needs to increase
4. Fares need to be at a sensible level
5. Information systems and fare regimes need to be good
6. It needs to be eas[y/ier] to get to the station ...
7. It should not be duplicating other new transport
8. [Town size] Growth rate estimates

Social change notes
1. Reduction in 5 day a week commuters
2. Increase in leisure travel
3. Climate and international issues
3a. Move away from the private car
4. Public transport as useful time

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 14:16:47 »

Re-quoting this (see previous replies) ... from This is Wiltshire

CHIPPENHAM MP (Member of Parliament) Michelle Donelan has officially opened the new Hub Café at Melksham Railway Station.

She was invited by TransWilts community rail partnership to open the café on Saturday (May 1).

The café will be available to the whole of the Melksham community not just rail passengers using the increasingly busy station.

[snip]

In 2011, Melksham station was used by only 11,000 commuters but since then passenger numbers have increased dramatically.

The Melksham Hub now serves more than 75,000 rail commuters who use the station to get to Chippenham, Swindon, Trowbridge,Westbury and beyond.

Mr Johnson added: “With a community population of 30,867 we expect a substantial growth in passenger usage of up to 450,000 by 2026.”

Which makes my number look rather conservative!

To be clear, though, all the numbers being quoted are either journeys or journey tickets. 

to 3.2011 - 11,000 journey tickets sold, but estimate all but 3,000 were bought at Trowbridge or Bradford-on-Avon for journey to Bristol as the longer journey ticket was cheaper and valid.  I would estimate 1500 arrival and 1500 departure journeys - probably under 500 different passengers involved.

to 3.2020 - 75,000 journey tickets sold and now the vast majority really were for journeys to or from Melksham.  That's around 37,000 arrivals and 37,000 departures and from recent years surveys, best guess around 2,500 different people involved.

to 3.2021 - ("now") - it's a far cry from 75,000 - the year was decimated, and I simply don't know.  Peak trains have fared worst; I think the article uses "now" as meaning the latest published figures which are pre-covid.

My 250,000 in 4 years - if it all lines up - 125k arrivals, 125k departures, say 6,000 different users.  You will note the steady increase in numbers of journeys per person as it moves from occasional use to more frequent (day to day, not just outings) use by many of the people

Mr Johnson's 450,000 in 5 years is brave. Sure, possible, but all the ducks need to line up really well.  If buses to the station arrive by next April, more trains (as Go-op propose) by next May, etc, then, yes, it could be.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 16:19:27 by grahame » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: