Train RunningCancelled
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 14:03:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[140] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[127] access for all at Devon stations report
[55] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[6] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arriva Trains Wales' "Ping Pong"  (Read 18034 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 21:00:50 »

Yes, that note that only seems to come on if you have been waiting at a station for > 5 mins .....?
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 21:09:01 »

The voice in that clip is the same lady that does the English announcements at all principal stations in South Wales.  Personally I prefer the guy who does the Welsh announcements!

It does get tedious all the time them going through the stations, especially when im on a 175 to Manchester and Chester.  One of the advantages of a 158 is no announcements all the time.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 01:46:04 »

Heard her before...nice vid but its not from a 175..... know the inside of a 153 anyday

you are right people............just me getting excited about 153s again

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 16:52:41 »

Buggar. I always miss a bit out
SuperGlam

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 19:48:03 »

"Welcome aboard. Please listen to the following announcements for your safety. Please familiarise yourself with the safety information provided on the posters displayed in the passengers saloons. Emergency door opening procedures are indicated close to the doors. Please ensure overhead luggage is safely stowed and when you leave the train, please mind the gap between the train and the platform. Thankyou"

We've had this musical voice on the valleys for at least 5 years now - seems to come on every 2nd or 3rd stop. Once heard it a full 8 times on the way back from the cricket up the valley to M Vale one summer's night in 2004- it even used to go off when the train stopped at Abercynon signal box!  Believe this is a legacy of Wessex - who introduced it before we had it on the valleys.   I used to hate hearing it at 2310 at Fratton on Sunday nights though! 

I mean "overhead works" - what is that about?  Men working above you like the band who made up a song about coming from Australia?

And..."saloon" - where is the bar?  I ask you!

If this was a proper valleys announcement it would be in the plainest of Wenglish!
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 20:39:03 »

I mean "overhead works" - what is that about?  Men working above you like the band who made up a song about coming from Australia?

And..."saloon" - where is the bar?  I ask you!

Hee hee, I never thought about that! You gave me a real laugh there Cheesy

Though it must be said, I'd rather hear that announcement any day over the new ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) one...

It's still played on the ex - Wessex FGW (First Great Western) trains, even the refurbished ones!
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 09:41:11 »

I expect that this is what the HSTs (High Speed Train) will be getting! Angry
HST's aren't getting automated announcments. Atleast I haven't heard different.

Oh yes they are. A number of sets are fitted already! But you will pleased to know that it for the time being to enable the driver to contact the guard to order his tea Grin or to let him know if being delayed/diverted etc. So listen out for the This is a staff announcment " will the train manager please contact the driver I've got a funny feeling it won't end there!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 12:03:08 »

Heard the driver/guard one the other day! thought I was hearing things!!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: