DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningShort Run
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 21:01:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "If your journey is under five miles, cycle it"  (Read 2502 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 28, 2021, 07:03:36 »

From the Oxford Mail

Opinion: If your journey is under five miles, cycle it - don't drive

An excellent idea - so (here in Melksham) why do people not cycle more?  I was at a Town Centre meeting on Saturday - I could have cycled, but I did not.  Speaking with a fellow councillor, she had thought about cycling but hadn't done so either.

1. The security of our cycles, even when locked to a hoop provided beside the Town Hall for the purpose, concerned us both

2. Other facilities - such as keeping the cycle dry, and where to keep the extra clothes and helmet during the day

3. There are sections of the road into Town for both of us which are not cycle friendly; the pavement is pedestrian (and mobility scooter!) only and really not wide enough for cycles too, and the main carriageway takes one lane of traffic each way that backs up behid cyclists; some motorist overtake in what cyclists feel are dangerous ways (fast, close, at the blind hill brow)

We know the town ... others (and that includes many none-cycling residents) do not and in places even where there are good or reasonable cycle ways, they are not properly signposted.

Realistically, even with all these things sorted, cycling is not always the solution. Many people are not able to cycle - it could be age, it could be young children, it could be medical.  At times, there may be more to carry than you can manage on your cycle.  And it might be unattractive in the cold (or heatwave) and wet, or be a journey that you need to make by car more quickly.  You might be tired, or under the influence of alcohol.

But, I think we could do better in Melksham. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 09:41:16 »

These repeated calls to 'get on your bicycles' will continue to be ignored by the majority of the public unless and until the appropriate authorities get their act together regarding the construction and/or maintenance of cycling infrastructure. Certainly in my local area there are so many things wrong with the cycling facilities including, to give one example pertinent to this time of year, the fact that many cycleways are rendered virtually impassable by vegetation overgrowth. I can't speak for the rest of the UK (United Kingdom) but my communications with DCC» (Devon County Council - website) (Devon County Council) indicate that cutting back of said greenery is done to a set calendar regardless of meteorological conditions. 
Sulis John

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 11:24:08 »

You don't have to look that far from Melksham to find a city where 5 mile cycle journeys vaguely east - west are perfectly possible (assuming the weather plays ball, you haven't got to arrive looking smart and aren't carrying anything heavy or bulky), but if you're going north - south it's a different story. Until I arrived in Bath 30-something years ago, I belonged to the cycle everywhere brigade - but my first journey into town from the top of the southern slopes (do nothing but wear out brake blocks in one direction and push almost the whole way in the other) was also my last!
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 16:46:15 »

From the Oxford Mail

Opinion: If your journey is under five miles, cycle it - don't drive

An excellent idea - so (here in Melksham) why do people not cycle more?  I was at a Town Centre meeting on Saturday - I could have cycled, but I did not.  Speaking with a fellow councillor, she had thought about cycling but hadn't done so either.

1. The security of our cycles, even when locked to a hoop provided beside the Town Hall for the purpose, concerned us both

2. Other facilities - such as keeping the cycle dry, and where to keep the extra clothes and helmet during the day

3. There are sections of the road into Town for both of us which are not cycle friendly; the pavement is pedestrian (and mobility scooter!) only and really not wide enough for cycles too, and the main carriageway takes one lane of traffic each way that backs up behid cyclists; some motorist overtake in what cyclists feel are dangerous ways (fast, close, at the blind hill brow)

We know the town ... others (and that includes many none-cycling residents) do not and in places even where there are good or reasonable cycle ways, they are not properly signposted.

Realistically, even with all these things sorted, cycling is not always the solution. Many people are not able to cycle - it could be age, it could be young children, it could be medical.  At times, there may be more to carry than you can manage on your cycle.  And it might be unattractive in the cold (or heatwave) and wet, or be a journey that you need to make by car more quickly.  You might be tired, or under the influence of alcohol.

But, I think we could do better in Melksham. 

If you think that then, grahame, then you will also note some crucial dates in your upcoming diary:

Firstly, there is the latest "engagement process" on the proposed Melksham Bypass - https://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/news/engagement-on-next-stage-of-proposed-melksham-bypass-begins-today - which has apparently concluded from the first "engagement process" that "the people" want long bypass route option 10c, plus various potential walking and cycling measures.

No doubt some will be pointing out that in the public consultation, when respondents were asked to rank each option from "most preferred" to "least preferred", the "10" group of bypass options only came in 8th place in terms of "most preferreds", with Walking & Cycling improvements coming top, Rail improvements coming 2nd, and Bus improvements coming 3rd - See Page 12, Section 10 of http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/mirror/A350_Melksham_Bypass_Public_consultation_report_FINAL.pdf

Therefore, it is logical to conclude that the current plans for a Melksham Bypass will only remain credible if Rail and Bus improvements are implemented as part of the overall scheme package, alongside the various potential walking and cycling measures.

Secondly - https://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/news/council-seeks-views-on-two-new-cycling-and-walking-schemes

Quote from: Wiltshire Council
Wiltshire Council wants to hear from residents and businesses on two new proposed cycling schemes in the county.

The first of the two new cycling schemes is intended to link Hilperton to Melksham via Semington, removing the need for cyclists to travel on the road of this section of the A361. There are two possible routes for people to comment on: both routes would start at Hilperton, with a closure on Devizes Road, and a length of shared-use path on the north side of the A361. The first route would then follow the A361 to Semington; the second route would access via byways 21 and 22 through to St George's Road in Semington. Both routes would then follow along Semington High Street and towards Melksham before reaching the A350.

The second proposed scheme is an Easton Lane cycle link between Chippenham and Corsham that would see the prohibition of motor vehicles on Easton Lane at the bridge over the A350, removing through traffic and creating a light traffic route, before linking with the Wiltshire Cycleway.

Both of the proposals have already been subject to consultation and received widespread general support, but the council now wants to hear people's views on the specifics of the schemes.

Cllr Dr Mark McClelland, Cabinet Member for Transport, said: "We have received £681,000 from the Department for Transport's Active Travel Fund to improve cycling and walking routes in Wiltshire.

"The two proposed cycling routes have already been subject to a wider consultation on cycle schemes in the county, and they received widespread support, but we now want to hear people's views on the proposals, to see if there is anything we can do to improve them.

"I'd urge anyone with an interest in the two proposals, and people with an interest in modes of travel in the county, whether that is motoring, cycling or walking, to take the survey to let us know their views.

"We know that cycling and walking bring many benefits to health, air quality and carbon reduction, and we are looking to implement more schemes in Wiltshire to make it easier for people to choose active travel where they can."

The engagement ends at 23:59 on 18 July. To find out more and take the survey, go to https://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/highways-new-active-travel-schemes

In our current Option 24/7 proposals, we place great emphasis on integrating cycle routes with bus and rail in towns like Melksham, and these proposals could throw up the opportunity to do this on a significantly wider scale, with the Hilperton-Melksham cycle route potentially aligning with a Bus Back Better-improved high frequency Chippenham-Melksham-Trowbridge bus route, and improved TransWilts Rail services facilitated by Melksham line double tracking/dynamic looping.

Similarly, the Chippenham-Corsham cycle route could potentially align with the proposed high frequency Wiltshire Whippet Chippenham-Corsham-Bath bus route, and improved rail services facilitated by a new Corsham railway station.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 17:29:02 »

How far will
We have received £681,000 from the Department for Transport's Active Travel Fund to improve cycling and walking routes in Wiltshire.
go if it complies with http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=25141.0
Apologies I haven't looked at the detailed proposals, but for most local authorities the new missive will have affected previous estimates.

As they have to local representatives who understand the problem and I am sure will do their best to get Melksham cycling!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: