Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
11:44 London Paddington to Hereford
13:11 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
Delayed
11:37 London Paddington to Carmarthen
13:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 14:59:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[122] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[37] access for all at Devon stations report
[36] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Cornish delays
[1] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Weymouth - summer weekend loco-hauled services - 2008  (Read 31732 times)
Penmill Pugs

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2008, 22:41:55 »

First Post, so hopefully I won't offend anybody. Really happy the summer 'loco-hauled' has returned again this year, happy and surprised !!! Happy; because the tedium of seeing 'just another unit' in sleepy
Somerset has been broken (even if they turn up in all sorts of liveries), and surprised; because after last year's abortive attempt to run locos through the summer, I thought we would never see their like again.

I travelled behind the locos on Saturday evening (quite impressed, noise etc). Having tried to obtain a ticket at Yeovil Pen Mill (office closed),  I asked one the EWS (English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd, now known as DB Schenker Rail (UK (United Kingdom))) staff for a ticket on the train. Imagine my surprise when he told me that FGW (First Great Western) had failed to provide 'revenue-collecting' staff for this service (apparently for the second week running) and I would have to travel for free. Let me say here and now that I'm not a 'fare-dodger' and although I enjoyed my journey, I was left bewildered. I really want to see this service succeed, but if FGW are unable to collect fares and advertise this service properly, then I fear for the future of it. 

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2008, 23:11:18 »

Hello, Penmill Pugs, and welcome to the coffee shop!

I think the only people you may have 'ruffled' a bit are FGW (First Great Western), who seem to have overlooked the need to at least try to cover the costs of this service?!

Has anyone else on the forum experienced this rather bizarre situation??

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2008, 07:08:01 »

We all want to see the Weymouth line do well this summer so FGW (First Great Western) do get a return on their investment of running the loco and coaches to demonstrate its worth keeping for future years and yes it would help if someone was there to collect the fares.

I would imagine that it was a rare case of Yeovil Pen Mill station ticket office being closed that morning. Many times I've been on a Weymouth train which was reasonably busy by the time it reaches Yeovil but rammed on departure. Plenty of good revenue there.
CliveD

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2008, 13:32:08 »

First week there was no FGW (First Great Western) revenue staff on board the train out or back just the EWS (English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd, now known as DB Schenker Rail (UK (United Kingdom))) crew. Second week, there was a member of the Westbury revenue staff on board on the outward run who I think joined at Keynsham but I don't know how far they went down; it was certainly beyond Frome. As the loco and stock returned on a timetabled service, there should have been someone, but as the outward working (1251 ex Great Malvern) didn't turn up, no one available. In fact, no-one even boarded at Westbury, which I would have expected at the very least.

I recall that when it ran last year, the first week there was no-one, and the subsequent two weeks there was revenue staff on board on the outward journey only. FGW can't on the one hand complain about having to provide the train at extra cost if they don't take steps themselves to - as Timmer says - get a return on their investment. Own goal here I think.

However, the good news is that official posters are now starting to appear at stations advertising the service.
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2008, 16:45:05 »

Though strange that the one at Oldfield Park has loco photos, and none of the others I've seen at any other station have any photos at all...
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2008, 07:00:03 »

At last! FGW (First Great Western) have placed basic details of the Weymouth loco service on the Heart of Wessex page of their website:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=85

As is FGW's way these days when you want timetable info...use the online journey planner. They don't like timetables do they?
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2008, 03:21:09 »

I don't think they've included details as according my RailPlanner software the timings change each week - although are the same for either end of the line (0909 and 1655).

I shall be sampling this service today ...

Interestingly enough, if you want to go to Bristol faster than the 1730 - get that as far as Castle Cary... change at Castle Cary and then Westbury. You arrive about 25 minutes earlier!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2008, 11:11:34 »

I did yesterday evening but only for a couple of minutes as it was a very convenient connection for Oldfield Park off the 17.30 ex Paddington train. A reasonable amount of passengers alighted at Bath Spa. How was the loading from Weymouth? A few bashers were leaning out of vestibule windows sampling the smell and sound of the leading skip!
Interestingly enough, if you want to go to Bristol faster than the 1730 - get that as far as Castle Cary... change at Castle Cary and then Westbury. You arrive about 25 minutes earlier!
Useful to know as the 17.30 is a very slow service.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2008, 11:14:13 »

I did yesterday evening but only for a couple of minutes as it was a very convenient connection for Oldfield Park off the 17.30 ex Paddington train. A reasonable amount of passengers alighted at Bath Spa. How was the loading from Weymouth? A few bashers were leaning out of vestibule windows sampling the smell and sound of the leading skip!

Not guilty.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2008, 15:53:57 »

No idea, I bailed at Trowbridge on the way back, but I suspect D_M was one of the ones leaning out Wink

I'll upload my photos when I can be bothered.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2008, 17:17:23 »

Not at Bath come to think of it Wink
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2008, 21:27:40 »

A supportive article in the Bristol Evening Post today: see http://thisisbristol.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=145365&command=displayContent&sourceNode=145191&contentPK=20884129&folderPk=83726&pNodeId=144922

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2008, 12:37:27 »

Made itself onto the front page of the FGW (First Great Western) site.

Two photos of last weekends run at Bristol in the PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/liamy_2006/swr/wds23.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/liamy_2006/swr/wds24.jpg
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2008, 17:41:59 »

All we need now is for the weather to play it's part in helping to fill this train. So far it hasn't been very helpful on Saturdays thus far.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2008, 20:51:29 »

Sorry, Timmer, but it's Wimbledon fortnight and Glastonbury festival: therefore it's bound to pee down with rain for days on end!

Roll Eyes Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: