Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:16:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: OLE to Wigan Pier!  (Read 2855 times)
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2021, 16:24:08 »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/green-light-given-for-wigan-to-bolton-electrification

Couldn't see this under any other heading.

Perhaps the log jam is breaking.

Now for Oxford and Bristol.

OTC
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 16:41:12 »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/green-light-given-for-wigan-to-bolton-electrification

Couldn't see this under any other heading.

Perhaps the log jam is breaking.

Now for Oxford and Bristol.

OTC

Do you remember this thread here in 2013?
More Infill Electrification Announced
« on: 13-12-2013, 08:38:00 »

DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about)» announced today the sparking of Bolton to Wigan, and a wider study of electrification in the North of England. The route announced today appears to have come out of the blue, and given that it was a national announcement, I'm surprised that Newbury to Bedwyn wasn't included. However, the rail element of the announcement does appear to have had a somewhat northern bias. Well, exclusively northern to be precise.

Then a couple of posts later ...

What prescient posters we all  are.

Much of this was discussed in "More North West Electrification", back in August.

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) seem to be responding to our pearls of wisdom.

Seasons greetings,

OTC

But it's only 13 miles, after all.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 16:49:49 »

The distance of 13 miles of "up"and "down" double track at 78 million

Could we there assume Bristol Parkway to Bristol TM(resolve) at 6 miles with four tracks would cost about the same(78 million?)
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 17:21:27 »

I think that Wigan NW to Lostock Jn is actually 13 track miles miles so the cost is £6M/stm!

It's important that NR» (Network Rail - home page) delivers the service on time and within the agreed budget so at least the Treasury knows where it stands with railway investment.

OTC
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 18:36:58 »

I’m sure we all hope that the three deferred sections of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) follow suit soon.

For me, Didcot to Oxford (and maybe on to Hanborough) would be a clear priority of the three, followed by Chippenham to Bristol TM(resolve) and then Bristol Parkway to Bristol TM.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 19:25:46 »

I think that Wigan NW to Lostock Jn is actually 13 track miles miles so the cost is £6M/stm!

It's important that NR» (Network Rail - home page) delivers the service on time and within the agreed budget so at least the Treasury knows where it stands with railway investment.

OTC

That cost does include several platform extensions, and those don't come cheap these days. When last announced as a firm commitment in 2013 that was against an estimated cost of £37M, for electrification alone. But that was in another era, "before GW (Great Western)", and also before that firm commitment turned out to be quite crumbly.

But I think you are right, that NR are on probation, doing a few small and middling electrification projects chosen largely for political reasons. If they can do the work to match the cost and schedule estimated for it then "decarbonisation here we come". At least in theory, since the Treasury will keep saying it all costs too much, though ultimately they have no way of making it cost less than it costs. So I guess the rate of spend will be fixed and it will come down to NR working as fast as they can for that.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 19:45:52 »

I’m sure we all hope that the three deferred sections of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) follow suit soon.

For me, Didcot to Oxford (and maybe on to Hanborough) would be a clear priority of the three, followed by Chippenham to Bristol TM(resolve) and then Bristol Parkway to Bristol TM.

There is a plan for Didcot - Oxford which is dependent on the completion of the Oxford station remodelling and Botley Rd bridge replacement much of the original planed for 25kV infrastructure would have been trashed by these 2 schemes.  I cannot see wires reaching Hanborough, more likely is Eastwest Rail.

For Chippenham to Bristol there are a few issues to resolve regarding Sydney Gardens.  Like Oxford the biggest show stopper is the remodelling of Bristol Temple Meads, CP7 is the likely time scale for Bristol TM to get wired and this would mop up Bristol TM to Parkway.

The formation of GBR (Great British Railways) which hopefully will take some of the elements of railway planning currently done by the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) and DfT» (Department for Transport - about) this could remove layers of bureaucracy allowing the railway industry to specify and select equipment more suited to its needs.

There have already been some changes to NR» (Network Rail - home page) Electrification and Plant policy in regards to OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") minimum wire heights how the wire can be supported.  The policy even allows the posiblity of new third rail electrification!!!!

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 20:28:13 »

Onthecushions is clearly a George Orwell fan from this thread title, combining as it does that writer's Road to Wigan Pier with the less obviously relevant Homage to Catalonia. Olé!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 11:15:46 »

There is a plan for Didcot - Oxford which is dependent on the completion of the Oxford station remodelling and Botley Rd bridge replacement much of the original planed for 25kV infrastructure would have been trashed by these 2 schemes.  I cannot see wires reaching Hanborough, more likely is Eastwest Rail.

I'm less clear why the Oxford wiring should be delayed by the bridge and station works and not proceed immediately.

We were told that the Oxford track re-modelling for electrification was complete and allowed for the new platform. The wiring scheme had proceeded a long way with much piling done and the Radley ATS (Automatic Train Supervision) completed, so a full plan (and contract) was clearly in place.

While the bridge replacement is a major task, the masts /stanchions would have been well apart  and a blockade would be needed anyway with all wires and cables temporarily lifted, not that complicated - hardly trashing 10 miles of wiring.

Hanborough depends on the LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) but it seems unreasonable to wait for many years to fill this important gap.

It depends on the value placed on the passenger experience.

OTC
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 17:53:03 »

[...]
For Chippenham to Bristol there are a few issues to resolve regarding Sydney Gardens.  Like Oxford the biggest show stopper is the remodelling of Bristol Temple Meads, CP7 is the likely time scale for Bristol TM(resolve) to get wired and this would mop up Bristol TM to Parkway.
[...]

Are there issues at Sydney Gardens? This is something I have a bee in my bonnet about, hence my post on the FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) website last year. Is there an outstanding issue that I've missed?

I absolutely agree that Bristol will have to wait until the refurbishment work at Bristol Temple Meads is complete. 25kv wires and a forest of scaffolding just doesn't sound like a healthy mix. CP7 is not too far off, and it'll be nice to have a bit of a break from long engineering possessions!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2021, 18:59:25 »

The policy even allows the posiblity of new third rail electrification!!!!

Special pleading here - juice rails from Wokingham to Ash junction and Shalford junction to Reigate NOW!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 22:43:34 »

Special pleading here - juice rails from Wokingham to Ash junction and Shalford junction to Reigate NOW!

There are some high hurdles to get over for new exposed top contact third rail (eg the standard Southern system) the significant change is NR» (Network Rail - home page) Electrification policy now allows third rail to be considered to extend / expand current third rail routes, this change has the support of the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) and DfT» (Department for Transport - about).

The hurdles are all the risk assessments removal of public footpath crossing and where practical road level crossings, lineside fencing has to be enhanced each station has to be risk assessed for the public access to live conductors.   The current rules and working practices for staff to access an energised railway are unlikely to be accepted by the ORR for future new third rail electrification.

Its just not simple

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2021, 14:17:19 »

I get the impression that the key distinction may rest in the difference between an extension of existing 3rd rail and new third rail. I don't think there is any wish for the latter and the former is really de minimis.

It's a pity ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)'s assessors don't have to use the services whose electrification they choose to block. A risk assessment can go either way depending on the scoring and the breadth of factors considered.

I also hope that this new wiring to Wigan may prompt Merseyrail to go dual voltage for its extensions and even consider some conversion.

OTC

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2021, 04:43:59 »

Although new conductor rail electrification is now allowed in theory, I doubt that we will see any beyond VERY minor extensions.
Someone, somewhere, has still got to "sign of" a new conductor rail installation as being "as safe as is reasonably practical" whilst knowingly rejecting available and safer alternatives such as OHLE or battery power. That person could be at risk of prosecution years later when a trespasser is killed.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2021, 09:55:24 »

I can't see the distinction between killing a trespasser by kinetic rather than electrical energy. A kJ from any source applied to the human body will have a similar effect. Having been on several services that have hit people, the train does generally win.

What is legally necessary is that inadvertent harm is not caused. Injury caused by trespassing on an active railway whether electrified or not cannot be inadvertent.

A small exception has been made for unmaintained fencing where children have gained easy access.

OTC
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: