Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 05:39:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1220 Waterloo to Bristol, Friday 29th October 2021  (Read 1755 times)
JayMac

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2021, 16:44:01 »

Some observations on the soon to be withdrawn (but hopefully not) Bristol <-> Waterloo SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services.

Today there is/was one up service and three down. It's a Friday so one can perhaps expect healthy loadings. And on the 1220 from Waterloo there was certainly a more than healthy loading. The service was made up of eight carriages. Six for Exeter St Davids and two for Bristol Temple Meads.

I boarded the train at Basingstoke and noted just how busy the rear two carriages (for Bristol TM(resolve)) were. At the behest of no one, and totally of my own accord, I decided to do a survey of the passengers in the rear two carriages.

I counted 108 pax in these two carriages on departure from Basingstoke. Including some standing in the vestibules. I walked through both carriages asking passengers what there ultimate destination was. Approximately 90 were headed to stations between Salisbury and Bristol. Warminster, Westbury, Trowbridge, Bradford-on-Avon, Bath Spa, Keynsham and Bristol were all mentioned.

Middle of the day so most definitely not commuters or students. And most definitely not fresh air. I chatted to a few of those who were headed to destinations between Salisbury and Bristol:

(paraphrasing)

"I use this route because it's cheaper."
"Waterloo is more convenient for me."
"I'm returning from visiting parents in Sussex. Clapham Junction is a much better place to change than going via Paddington."

My surveying was in no way scientific but I think it provides an accurate snapshot of a well used, necessary, indeed vital, service.

The two carriages destined for Bristol after leaving Andover.

(Note: There were people standing in the vestibules and in 1st Class. Most of the 1st Class seats were occupied too)

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 16:49:23 »

"Half-tern and a Friday", said the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) spokesman, "would you mind doing this again next Wednesday please?"
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 16:54:10 »

"Half-tern and a Friday", said the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) spokesman, "would you mind doing this again next Wednesday please?"

"I'd be happy to Mr SWR» (South Western Railway - about)/Mr DfT. Could you please provide a 1220 from Waterloo to Bristol next Wednesday."

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 19:23:27 »

Very impressive moustache there!
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 21:13:12 »

Some observations on the soon to be withdrawn (but hopefully not) Bristol <-> Waterloo SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services.

Thanks for taking on this duty, it's appreciated.

Mark
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 22:11:33 »

Thanks for taking on this duty, it's appreciated.

Mark

Indeed - massive "Thank you". I'm noting significant luggage there too - serious personal traffic / journeys and not just days out. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 09:04:59 »

As I commented, it’s the end of half-term week
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 10:34:15 »

Very impressive moustache there!
Certainly in line to win this year’s Movember top prize.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 12:55:27 »

Very few noticeable family groups travelling on this service. Half term doesn't apply to university students.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 12:59:07 »

Very tempted to go and be the man in the bowler hat on the 12:20 train from Waterloo next Wednesday but, drat, I've a commitment elsewhere.

Mark
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 13:08:14 »

Very few noticeable family groups travelling on this service. Half term doesn't apply to university students.

There are kids prominently in both your photos.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 13:33:54 »

There are kids prominently in both your photos.

Did I say there weren't any?

Very few noticeable family groups. As a percentage of the overall loading.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 08:57:07 »

I have used your data in my update at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/crazy-culling-trains-graham-ellis/ - Thank You.

Please share that - using these URLs:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/crazy-culling-trains-graham-ellis/
https://www.facebook.com/graham.ellis.5055/posts/10159565269542094
https://twitter.com/CoffeeShopCRP/status/1454732215556972550
all should be public ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: