Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 01:55 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 02:09:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Plymouth Station - refurbishment, improvements, timetable changes, events and incidents (merged topic)  (Read 64906 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2011, 22:56:23 »

Have to agree with you there RichardB.

Temple Meads is another example. Platforms 13 & 15 were out of use for many years. I doubt the station would cope without them today.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2011, 22:57:13 »

What is really needed is to rationalize the over capacity of platforms and make a smaller but improved station.Something like Newton Abbot with maybe 4 or so platfoms would be more appropriate now for current and future traffic levels at Plymouth station in the 21st century.

What is really needed is a buffet that doesnt close just as I arrive in the early evening.. Angry

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2011, 23:03:28 »

... and a decent pub within walking/stumbling distance.  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2011, 10:57:24 »

The present Plymouth station dates from a time when there were 2 main lines to London from Plymouth the present GWR (Great Western Railway) via Newton Abbot and the LSWR (London South Western Railway) via Tavistock/Okehampton(the present platforms 7 and Cool.Plymouth also once had an extensive local rail network the infrastructure of which apart from the route to Tavistock now long gone.You also had the GWR and LSWR competing for passengers and mail off the transatlantic liners that used to call at Plymouth in the era before air travel killed that off.
 My point is that Plymouth is no Bristol or Swindon rail wise and never will be because of its relatively peripheral geographical position and the limited rail access at the end of what is effectively a 55/60mph secondary line,it cant even support a small regional airport anymore(today is the last day of scheduled flights from Plymouth airport.Yes there will be increased use of the railways in Plymouth as elsewhere(Tavistock re-opening hopefully) but suggestions that somehow that rail traffic levels will ever justify the present pre-Beeching number of platforms at Plymouth station are at present remote.Thats what the head says but the heart says that I would love to be proved wrong on this one.
marky7890

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2011, 13:34:04 »

Even if more platforms were needed, couldn't the Dock sidings be used as platforms (like Platform 3)? Of course the old Royal Mail bay cant be used due to the height of the platform, but the siding next to Platform 3 could be used for DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) starting and terminating at Plymouth, and the same goes for the bay next to the old mail siding.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2011, 19:34:13 »

What tosh, Plymouth is up to capacity most evenings and mornings, with the large amount of terminating trains staying in the platforms until they can be taken to Laira.
FlyingDutchman

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2011, 22:23:44 »

Why Can't the original Platform 1 & 2 nearest the station building be used if they are short of capacity.

Guy
woody

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2011, 10:39:11 »

Why Can't the original Platform 1 & 2 nearest the station building be used if they are short of capacity.

Guy
Because for a large part of the day Plymouth stations platforms are well under capacity.I arrived back in Plymouth yesterday at 1925 on the 1606  from Paddington to Penzance and apart from our train on platform 4 there were only two 15x units parked in the platform 3 bay platform.The rest of the station was completely empty not an unusual situation I can assure you at Plymouth now for large parts of the day when the majority of travel is done.For the most part all Plymouth station has to cope with is an hourly FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train),an hourly X country(if it is not terminated at Newton Abbot due to late running),a 2 hourly Gunnislake and the very occasional Penzance/PlymouthNewton Abbot locals.Newton Abbot station seems to cope with virtually the same traffic levels plus the Paigntons with only 3 platforms!
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2011, 20:16:50 »

i think the question has to be, what benefit would their be from spending money on removing platforms shortening them?
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2011, 22:10:59 »

Newton Abbot struggles as soon as there are any infrastructure problems that cause delays but Plymouth is used to capacity in the peaks, Penzance could manage with one platform off-peak but all are needed when all the terminators come in at night, your logic is flawed, what should they do, remove the platforms after the morning peak then rebuild them every night?
woody

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2011, 09:51:44 »

I take your point vacman about the terminators at night I was just making the point that for most of the day plymouth station is way over capacity platform wise and I was thinking that if ever the station platforms were remodelled /modernised some time in the future that it would be more cost effective to reduce the overcapacity.To me there is nothing worse than seeing a huge half empty station as its give the impression of decline.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2011, 10:14:44 »

I wonder whether there is a wider question here.

We have now entered a "McNulty era", where saving shedloads of money in some shape or form is going to be the order of the day. Without wishing to make a judgement on the rights and wrongs, history (both distant and recent) suggests that the idea of "rationalisation" of infrastructure considered "redundant" tends to rise up the agenda during such times.

If so, it could create an interesting clash of approaches, at a time when significant investment is either being made now or being planned for schemes such as Cotswold and Swindon-Kemble redoubling.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2011, 20:14:42 »

i think the opposite should happen, platform 3 should be made into a threw platform
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2011, 20:19:36 »

I take your point vacman about the terminators at night I was just making the point that for most of the day plymouth station is way over capacity platform wise and I was thinking that if ever the station platforms were remodelled /modernised some time in the future that it would be more cost effective to reduce the overcapacity.To me there is nothing worse than seeing a huge half empty station as its give the impression of decline.
It may well be quite off peak, but its still up to capacity at times of the day, if the capacity was done away with then it wouldnt cope!
FlyingDutchman

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2011, 21:42:41 »

Hi

I wonder what happen to this plan they had in 2009

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/NEW-NORTH-CROSS/story-11460250-detail/story.html

Guy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: