Delayed
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 12:24:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[119] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[45] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[39] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[38] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[28] Broadgage unwell.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh! Mr Porter?  (Read 6320 times)
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2008, 22:15:16 »

Please don't laugh, this is a genuine request for information.

I am orgainising an event in Swindon next week, and amongst the many international visitors attending is an American lady who has already proved to be a little, shall we say, demanding.

She's intending to arrive in Swindon by train, and would like me to confirm that there will be sufficient porters there to meet her off the train and convey her and her "large amount" of luggage to a nearby taxi.

Quite frankly I'm hoping she'll cancel as she's already causing everyone headaches (demanding the the air conditioning in the b&b she's booked into be scrubbed before she arrives caused a wry smile for a start - air con? I'm not sure such refinements have reached Swindon yet!), but I want to be able to politely explain, hopefully backed with some regulations, my theory that there haven't been porters on British station platforms for at least 40 years now.

I assume Train Despatch Managers aren't allowed to carry luggage out of the station to a waiting taxi?

In fact, is there anyone around to help people with heavy luggage these days, or do health and safety regulations prevent it?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 22:18:08 »

No - staff can't these days.

But look at this video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vLA7Q-pPQhQ&feature=related

How long ago was it? They carried luggage then!
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 22:30:00 »

London Paddington has porters. But when I went through Swindon the other day there was no-one I could see who would be able to do it.
Suggest she book assistance?
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 22:40:39 »

Thanks, Ollie. Is it even possible to book assistance?
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 22:41:38 »

Yes, assistance can be booked by phoning up First Great Western. Phone customer services on 08457 000 125.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 22:45:07 »

Great! Thanks!

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 00:52:18 »

Yes, thanks, Ollie and Tom!

Hopefully, if Phil's particular request has now been answered, may I now pose a related general question?

Has anyone else noticed that the size and weight of a suitcase is usually in inverse proportion to the size and weight of the little old lady using it?

Seriously, I've been astonished at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) sometimes to see some dear little old ladies struggling with HUGE suitcases.  Hence my gallant offers of help - with mixed results: 

I've even been known to offer a lady some help with her suitcase up the steps to a platform myself, sometimes. (Mind you, I have occasionally regretted this, when I try to lift her case and find she must have 16 breeze blocks in it!)

Do these dear little old ladies perhaps remember rail travel in their younger days and they just assume there will be a porter to carry their case?  And then they just struggle with it themselves, when they aren't approached by 'Mr Porter' as soon as they enter the station?

Is there perhaps an opportunity here for FGW (First Great Western) to be more 'customer-centric' and have staff available who can look out for such situations - and simply produce a trolley for the suitcase - without such a service having to be booked in advance?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 05:40:37 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 01:01:37 »

I have said this before, wheeled suitcases should be banned if you cannot comfortable lift them yourself.

It is ridiculous the number of people dropped off by taxi, who wheel their suitcase into the station and then struggle to carry them upstairs, or on escalators. Then to carry them onto trains, just to block the vestibule or gangway.

I fear the art of packing light has disappeared from society!
cornishman

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 01:06:41 »

fgw do ask station staff to look out for customers having problems with luggage and to help them whenever possible and to do it with a smile Grin
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 07:15:42 »

fgw do ask station staff to look out for customers having problems with luggage and to help them whenever possible and to do it with a smile Grin
But for dispatch staff, there job is dispatching trains, not in some booked assitance cases where you get asked to practically bottle feed them!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 07:49:21 »

But for dispatch staff, there job is dispatching trains, not in some booked assitance cases where you get asked to practically bottle feed them!
Sorry Jim, I disagree, my great uncle who has a heart problem and finds it very hard to walk in hot or polluted places. When he travelled from Southall-Camborne last year for the first time he needed help getting around Paddington, he could lift his suitcase fine but just couldn't get around easily. After getting off the stopper from Southall it took him 20 minutes to get to the Assitance office. When he got there he got in a trolley and he got took straight onto the train to Camborne. If it was not for the assistance he wouldn't have made it, and he doesn't have a physical disability.
BRADNOCK

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 09:47:00 »

Hows this for a bit of nostalgia I can remember when you could send your luggage in advance of your holiday to have it delivered to you holiday destination. and when the holiday were over have it sent back home all done by good old BR (British Rail(ways)), That was usably from Birmingham to Weymouth By Br Western Region and they had trains that went direct in the Holiday season. That was from the Midlands Now I'm showing my age.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 10:06:18 »

That was still possible in 1980 when I started at University. It was ridiculously cheap (a couple of pounds) to have a big trunk sent from Cardiff to Soton so long as you had a train ticket. So cheap in fact that the service lost a lot of money and was stopped a couple of years later.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 00:07:39 »

This thread includes one or two posts rather critical of old ladies lack of "travelling light" skills. I guess that most of the population travels heavy these days - they just bung it all in the car.

When the railway is sagging under the weight of peak time commuters, and resorts to absurdly cheap fares at other times in an attempt to fill its trains then perhaps its time to look at why rail is so profoundly unattractive for many journey purposes and to do something about it.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 10:03:58 »

Sorry Jim, I disagree, my great uncle who has a heart problem and finds it very hard to walk in hot or polluted places. When he travelled from Southall-Camborne last year for the first time he needed help getting around Paddington, he could lift his suitcase fine but just couldn't get around easily. After getting off the stopper from Southall it took him 20 minutes to get to the Assitance office. When he got there he got in a trolley and he got took straight onto the train to Camborne. If it was not for the assistance he wouldn't have made it, and he doesn't have a physical disability.

Sorry Conner, and any others didn't mean to upset you there.

I must just point out, that this is not the attitude that i share to all booked assistance, there is just 1 or 2 who I personally think are very fussey when it comes to it.  And yes it's good to serve with a smile, however at a station such as Westbury, there just doesn't seem to be enough staff to do everything, so there, and at some other stations, if your not served with a smile, that could be why.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 10:24:58 by Jim » Logged

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: