Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 07:22:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW HSTs: worst refurbishment ever?  (Read 40697 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2008, 16:22:41 »

Pleased to say i caused no problem and I felt like a God with a WHOLE table  Wink
Try the Night Train.
Perfect if you need to get to Penzance fairly early.
Re upholstered First Class seating, 2+1, all at Tables, it is not very busy, and you can use Standard Day Returns.

Or Cheap Day on Saturday AM. Not that I plan to come down to Cornwall at 0400 AM anyhow  Tongue
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2008, 16:25:02 »

Didn't know the Night Riviera ran via Paignton?!  Grin
Grin
It does run a lot of places though.
Went a long way round on Sunday night.
London-Reading-Swindon-Westbury-Castle Cary-Yeovil Pen Mill-Yeovil Junction-Exeter Central-Exeter St Davids-Penzance

Pleased to say i caused no problem and I felt like a God with a WHOLE table  Wink
Try the Night Train.
Perfect if you need to get to Penzance fairly early.
Re upholstered First Class seating, 2+1, all at Tables, it is not very busy, and you can use Standard Day Returns.

Or Cheap Day on Saturday AM. Not that I plan to come down to Cornwall at 0400 AM anyhow  Tongue
Good, if you are in Cornwall though.
As for CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day'))'s. I used a Cornish Ranger on it yesterday.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2008, 20:23:12 »

here is one way adelante beats refurb GST- inner arms - the one on the window side - how come they are hinged and lift up on an adelante but are fixed on a GST refurb

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2008, 22:47:03 »

here is one way adelante beats refurb GST- inner arms - the one on the window side - how come they are hinged and lift up on an adelante but are fixed on a GST refurb

Different type of seat, adalantes have seats which are wholly floor mounted whilst HST (High Speed Train) refurb are Floor and side wall mounted the fixed arm is part of the side wall fitting

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2008, 22:50:00 »

Different type of seat, adalantes have seats which are wholly floor mounted whilst HST (High Speed Train) refurb are Floor and side wall mounted the fixed arm is part of the side wall fitting

BAD design

(tongue in cheek mode one - before I get flamed)

I now have to carry two pillows - one for my head against the window and one to protect my cocyx from the fixed arm when I make a two seat into a bed!

(tongue in cheek mode off)

Seriously though - my lappy had no charge tonight so I was comfortably stretched out reading a book tonight on an adelante - a HST would need some sort of pillow or roll up protection

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2008, 10:38:53 »

Nope!

I investigated my seat this morning.  The side wall fitting is actually on the squab - there is no part of the arm attached to the side wall hence no reason it couldnt be hinged

vacman

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2008, 10:52:57 »

I now have to carry two pillows - one for my head against the window and one to protect my cocyx from the fixed arm when I make a two seat into a bed!

Seriously though - my lappy had no charge tonight so I was comfortably stretched out reading a book tonight on an adelante - a HST (High Speed Train) would need some sort of pillow or roll up protection
is that a violin I hear  Grin
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2008, 10:58:51 »

Seriously though - my lappy had no charge tonight so I was comfortably stretched out reading a book tonight on an adelante - a HST (High Speed Train) would need some sort of pillow or roll up protection

*Begins to play the worlds smallest Violin*
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2008, 15:34:19 »

Don't leave it on the train Cheesy

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2008, 19:46:52 »

Don't leave it on the train Cheesy
Tongue
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2008, 21:12:36 »

The only thing i'm personally against is the lighting. I was trying desperately to look out of the window yesturday, but all i could see was myself... desperately trying to see out of the window!

A memorandum has been issued to fleet staff at the depots instructing them to send out empty trains about to head into service with 'half-lighting' selected as standard from now onwards. The only time you should see full lighting on is if a TM(resolve) has subsequently changed the setting, or there is a fault with the lighting that means 'half-lighting' cannot be selected - this isn't uncommon, but usually affects only one vehicle at a time and not the whole train.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 17, 2008, 21:58:11 »

In a recent survey on this site I voted for unrefurbished Mark 3s or Mark 2s as the best (and got plaudits from one user for voting for Mark 2s). Let's be brutal, refurb'ed Mark 3s are c**p. The old trad layouts of 4 seats around table was fantastic and made rail travel a joy.

Been to London from Cheltenham this week on Wednedsay and today with colleagues. Only managed a table this morning on 0727 ex Cheltenham and managed a sensible working meeting on the way.
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2008, 17:13:15 »

The only thing i'm personally against is the lighting. I was trying desperately to look out of the window yesturday, but all i could see was myself... desperately trying to see out of the window!

A memorandum has been issued to fleet staff at the depots instructing them to send out empty trains about to head into service with 'half-lighting' selected as standard from now onwards. The only time you should see full lighting on is if a TM(resolve) has subsequently changed the setting, or there is a fault with the lighting that means 'half-lighting' cannot be selected - this isn't uncommon, but usually affects only one vehicle at a time and not the whole train.

it must pointed out however that this is a energy saving exercise, not so that the like's of Steve44 is able to see out of the window!
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2008, 12:43:06 »

it must pointed out however that this is a energy saving exercise, not so that the like's of Steve44 is able to see out of the window!

Darn it!!!!

I've been suffering Bad Head aches and sore Eyes after traveling in Brightly lit HST (High Speed Train) coaches, the Lighting level can be painfully high for those with Sensitive Eyes.

I was looking at Sueing!!!!!
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2008, 20:50:27 »

Half lighting, eh? I was looking at the ceiling panels only last week wondering if the refurb meant the lights alternated with ordinary panels in some weirdo design feature. Excuse my ignorance.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  

Jump to: