Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 00:03:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bath to Bridgnorth and back 2/1/23  (Read 408 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2023, 15:10:20 »

Plenty of food for thought yesterday on a day trip to Bridgnorth. The trains very quiet apart from one. Much ado about ticketing so it's useful to know that there's an off peak day return valid to Worcester from Bath at morning peak times. Ah, I tell a lie, I'm sure this used to be the case and it's changed, but hey, yesterday was a bank holiday.

Bridgnorth: busy. The funicular is closed for the duration though - they're dealing with an unstable retaining wall that's the property of a neighbour, though they hope to resolve this by April.

The return was complicated. I'd allowed 25 minutes for the connection at Kidderminster, and the post-WW2 rail system in the form of the Severn Valley Railway delivered me back to Kidderminster precisely half an hour late, their service having an issue with the vacuum brakes on the stock. This defect offered fireworks, as the loco crew attempted to fight it from a series of standing starts in the wrong places. I was five carriages back from the loco and the sky was raining little gold speckles, so, while it was a monday, it wouldn't have been a good day to have the washing on the line there. The train finally offered a good view of the departing West Midlands connection from the SVR service, stalled once again 20 feet off the platform end.

This then meant no through train at Worcester Foregate Street back to Bath. At 5pm the ticket window there was still staffed (just) - staff helpfully found a connection but involving a 50 minutes wait - and via Worcestershire Parkway - that involved a train that for some reason wasn't listed on Realtime Trains - a 'Double voyager' Crosscountry service from Edinburgh to Plymouth. My day return ticket was valid via that route, and I must check if that offers any opportunities on the outward journey, though I suspect that Parkway doesn't see any Crosscountry services at a suitably early time.

A 50 minute wait at Foregate Street, no real threat but the atmosphere might have been a bit edgy for some Worcester Women - with three grown men outside being revolting, three in the station being loud and two at platform level, one of who was not handling well the fact that his trophy dog was tucking into what he was saying was pigeon poo. I think the animal was just helpfully cleaning the entire area beneath a six foot bench. Also, it's always surprising how many edgy ten to twelve year olds are hanging about on the streets of Worcester at any time of day or night - I've a fond memory from a sunny morning 40 years back of chatting with a group by the cut while minding the boat: one had a party trick in that he was able to evert his upper eyelids and they'd stay that way.

Worcestershire Parkway, at night, has the vibes of an enormous glass-and-stainless-steel VR model of a station suspended in a vacuum. Excluding myself, just one passsenger left the London train and the station, and just two arrived to join the Crosscountry service.

Is it surprising that railway civil engineering is loth to excavate through an embankment - there are various examples of stations that if this approach were taken would be far more low profile and Worcestershire Parkway is one of them.

The Crosscountry train arrived, probably 90% full throughout, booked to call at Gloucester, and for some reason, before Cheltenham, the crew announced that they needed to detach one set of the Voyager pair and leave it behind, instructing passengers, who were luckily for the most part young, agile, travelling alone, to join the remaining four carriages that were already pretty fully occupied.

Seeing the packed train, I bailed on it, found that my day return ticket was valid via Swindon, looked for the GWR (Great Western Railway) train to London, and finally found the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) that was waiting in the unfeasably far distance at the head of the other platform. This resulted in a gentle climb of the Stroud Valley past the lights from house windows in Chalford followed by a gallop downslope and across the gravel into the clay, and then a half hour connection at Swindon - further oppportunity to enjoy that automated stair safety announcement on platform 4.

Thoughts on lots of things, one being the ticketing structure.

Bath to Kidderminster's priced (unattractively) by Crosscountry. Bristol services in the direction of Worcester are weak, underused, provisioned by the monstrous 166s, but they are to be found and they do take you there. Not so easy to get back, and certainly not on a pre-strike bank holiday.

GWR's ticketing will take you as far Worcester (and on to Malvern too) and is far more affordable. They also offer off-peak tickets in the morning peak, which is how it's been suggested that railways regain passengers during the covid pandemic - so GWR are ahead of the curve here. Ah, this easement (did it exist, am I imagining it?) has vanished, as has the easement for the 06:46 from Bath to Swansea - and of course the long-standing off-peak easement on the Paddington - Penzance train calling at Bath at 9;57 - that's gone too, along with the entire train.

So, if someone in Bath is looking for a day out with several destinations, and to see a bit of the country, and it's the weekend (but not Sunday, because no through trains on Sundays) buy a ticket to Malvern, use it early in the day - and then the return journey, starting from Bath is valid via the Stroud Valley stations but also I think Hereford, so perhaps that off peak day return ticket can be put on record for the variety of destination cities and towns on offer - as well as this it also offers an affordable if slow* route, via a split ticket at Worcester, into the entire West Midlands conurbation.

But, there's a spectre. Should the current government provoke a hard cut to the railway system, one option is to turn the dial back to the services that ran in the 1980s, in which case Worcester would still have services via Droitwich and Kings Norton, but the route to Kidderminster might see only one or two trains, and just in the morning and evening peaks - with the entire route via Kidderminster into Birmingham trimmed back to hourly or worse and also closed on Sundays, and for all I know the GWR through service to Worcester from Bristol would evaporate completely. We must hope for better times (and act to bring them about...)

Mark
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 15:59:38 »

Plenty of food for thought yesterday on a day trip to Bridgnorth....

...Bristol services in the direction of Worcester are weak, underused, provisioned by the monstrous 166s

Ouch, unduly harsh on the 166s. Travelling on 7, er, 'non-heritage' trains on Monday, 6 of them quiet, at least 5 of the 7 had people travelling with sleeping children in pushchairs, people with bikes, people with big luggage - the 166 beat the others hands down for flexibility of interior space, whatever West Midlands Railway uses for its commuter routes was perfectly OK (and beat the 166 on comfort and engine note) and the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) are fine for people in good shape and unencumbered by luggage. The day also allowed comparison with a variety of heritage stock whose picturesqueness surprised me but on the matter of flexibility of interior space... we'd better not go there! I was reminded of exactly how terrifying slam doors were from the potential for amputation injuries and surprised to be reminded that grab handles for boarding were not a thing in those days. But it has to be said that with the IEPs at least, the platform-train interface can be a little more challenging.

Mark
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: