Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:24:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: XC HSTs  (Read 25264 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 21:00:30 »

Need the others to provide the new London - Corby service from Dec 08.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2008, 12:34:11 »

Earlier in this post, a list of XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services "hoped" to be run by HSTs (High Speed Train) was listed.

> Thursdays 0641 Dunbar-Glasgow,
> 0900 Glasgow-Penzance;
> Fridays 0830 Penzance-Dundee,
> 1205 Edinburgh-Plymouth.

I take it this is still on.

What will happen to seat reservations? Will they assume the worst?

Does anyone know whether double Voyagers will start working?

Thanks,

Btline
John R

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2008, 12:52:26 »

I think the introduction of the HST (High Speed Train)'s enables Voyagers to be released for the various changes to be made (I will resist on calling them improvements.)

As an aside, as built the 4 car Voyagers had 26 first and 160 standard seats. Compare that to the Cl 159 which in 3 coaches manages to have 24 first and 172 standard, and with very little different in terms of passenger amenity and space. This inefficiency was due to
a) the crash resistant front ends required for running above 100mph (and which are required on half the coaches due to the short length of the train)
b) the "shop" which took up far too much space
c) 3 accessible toilets, when only 1 is required.
A triumph of Virgin marketing, over good old practical railway operation.
Add to that the smell and no wonder they are so unpopular.

Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2008, 18:52:38 »

I went on one Saturday from Bristol TM(resolve) to Cheltenham Spa. I must say, it was one of the best train rides I've had this year. Extremely comfortable, spacious, lovely seats and lighting, nice big clean windows, quiet, stable, no awful smells (!!) ...the list goes on. I thoroughly enjoyed that journey and it kickstarted a brilliant weekend.
r james

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2008, 20:23:09 »

What services are the HSTs (High Speed Train) running on at present?  Hope to use one of these sometime soon!!

I presume some wil run to taunton?
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2008, 07:56:38 »

What services are the HSTs (High Speed Train) running on at present?  Hope to use one of these sometime soon!!

I presume some wil run to taunton?

Try www.tauntontrains.co.uk  they have a list of timings for Taunton on the news page.  Smiley

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2008, 23:51:34 »

Today there was a Double Voyager travelling North through Devon late-afternoon.

Those XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))/NE HSTs (High Speed Train) make some noise!!

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2008, 07:59:47 »

Presumably it still had at least one of the lovely Paxman Valenta's which we no longer have. Environmentally unfriendly but love the whine.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2008, 12:00:56 »

Screw the environment:  Was a beautiful sight to see all those fumes flying into the air...  Grin

I think all day hearing the loud whine may deafen me a little!

My SDA colleague was under the impression that the National Express HSTs (High Speed Train) had been re-engined, but obviously this is not the case.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2008, 19:38:42 »

the ones xc have aquired all have valenta's still they will be fully refurbed and have mtu's in by december.

i also think all class 43's in country will be mtu at some point,it is just a matter of being in a q and waiting for brush traction to fit them in.

spares for paxman engines are like rocking horse sh1t now,so if one fails they can be out of traffic for ages.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2008, 23:05:00 »

i also think all class 43's in country will be mtu at some point,it is just a matter of being in a q and waiting for brush traction to fit them in.

No, East Midlands Trains are fitting all their fleet (25 power cars) with Paxman VP185s - an updated Valenta - now supplied by MAN of Germany, which provides full support for the engines from a factory at Colchester. Brush are fitting new cooler groups and electronics to the EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) fleet.

EMT is using several rebuilt VP185s which were removed from FGW (First Great Western) power cars when they got MTUs (Motor Traction Unit) fitted.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2008, 12:05:56 »

Are, but will these Paxman clones sound the same?
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2008, 12:10:41 »

No... they're not Valentas! :p
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2008, 19:39:27 »

Are, but will these Paxman clones sound the same?

yest they do sound very similar and chuck out as  much smoke as valenta's.

when the tender went out for power car re-engineering project fgw turned down the vp185 even though it was cheaper than mtu because they were crap,regularly suffered low power and vibrations.

so dont expect the x/c hst's to be more reliable,in my opinion mtu is the best option for class 43's
devonian

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2008, 20:45:25 »

Well, the 1745 from St Davids to Penzance was an ex MML» (Midland Main Line. - about) HST (High Speed Train) - XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service.

There was no buffet carriage - just two trolleys - and listening to the staff, it had been a bit of a trial.

Warm beer, cold tea, trolley hitting passengers - trolley slowing boarding and alighting as it was in the way.

I wasn't impressed. Oh, and it was un-refurbished obviously - FGW (First Great Western) refresh is 1000 times better than the old stuff that was there. Fixed arm rest, yellow lights, seats with no support, no leg room at tables....

The trolley did seem well used - but it also seemed there had been rather a lot of complaints. WOuld hate to see it try and run in a morning or on a really busy service!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: