Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
21:08 London Paddington to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 21:00:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[166] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[82] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[26] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: looking after families on trains  (Read 1799 times)
infoman

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2022, 07:31:02 »

I know we once had the family coach,

who recalls the advert where their were goal nets and you could(alledgly) play football in the coach?

I digress, a small item on ITV west country news about families travelling by train.

Young Mum with two toddlers, Adam Webster was the journalist(think he based in the area north of Birmingham) 
and Sara Nelson(being interviewed at Birmingham new street station?) from Transport focus were featured.

In my input, I would like to see(on IET (Intercity Express Train)) all table seats in the fourth coach down from the first class

and all single seats in the quiet coach.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 02:58:02 »

Table seats, significant numbers of these are not a feature of modern stock*. "Progress" is marked by fewer table seats, not more. Surveys no doubt show a customer preference for bus airline seating, which co-incidentally is cheaper to provide.

Removing tables from the quiet coach should be doable, "in response to customer demand" but not perhaps appreciated by business customers who want to use a laptop PC or read papers.

Buffets are often used by families, but the modern tendency is to reduce or withdraw such facilities, not to improve them.
And no, a trolley that is hiding in first class, in the other unit, static in a random location, or otherwise not available is not a proper substitute. GWR (Great Western Railway) are strongly opposed to buffets, and SWR» (South Western Railway - about) cant even manage a half hearted trolley any more.

Families would no doubt like more free and preferably reserved seating for young children, Not likely to be very popular with other fare payers who have to stand on new shorter trains.

*And before IET (Intercity Express Train) supporters raise the old chestnut that "IETs have more table seats than the HSTs (High Speed Train) that they replaced" That is only true of the downgraded high density commuter HSTs, not the proper inter city trains. I can remember when HSTs had 16 tables with a total of 64 table seats per coach. And when inter city loco hauled coaches had almost all table seats.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 10:11:39 »

To be honest, I think you’re hoarding all the old chestnuts.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 15:16:43 »

I have (possibly rose-tinted?) memories of needing nothing more than to be able to look out of the window to keep me occupied on childhood rail journeys, and felt my wife was too ready to offer "things to do" when travelling with a child of our own as that then often needed parental involvement rather than just looking out of the window myself!  The current seat layout on most long-distance trains with seat backs and/or partitions blocking the view from most seats and hardly any seats grouped around a table is definitely a big negative; in that respect local trains are often better.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 17:04:22 »

I can remember being satisfied with looking out of the window, and maybe with a bar of chocolate, on long train trips, but you cant expect kids today to be so easily satisfied.

Electronic entertainments and a continuing supply of sweet fizzy pop and unhealthy snacks are expected these days.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 17:32:01 »

I can remember being satisfied with looking out of the window, and maybe with a bar of chocolate, on long train trips, but you cant expect kids today to be so easily

.......hoping to catch a glimpse of Queen Victoria!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 17:59:29 »

I can remember being satisfied with looking out of the window, and maybe with a bar of chocolate, on long train trips, but you cant expect kids today to be so easily

.......hoping to catch a glimpse of Queen Victoria!

Young sir, you are again prone to a little exaggeration !

Though it must be said that after an accident, that when the paramedics asked me "who is queen" That I replied, Victoria, as always.
I do however remember working steam on BR (British Rail(ways)), not preserved, both of the great floods in New Malden, the severe winter of 1963, and working horses in suburban London, and even DC (Direct Current) mains electricity.

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 18:49:04 »

Childhood train rides with the family were definitely a formative influence on my liking of train travel now.  It was usually enough to look out of the window at the changing views to keep us happy, especially on our journeys across the Netherlands and Germany with it's less familar scenery and architecture.  For the longer journeys mum would pack a jotter and pens/pencils for us to doodle away with plus a "Beano Summer Special" or similar.  There were even some continental English language comics that we would buy in the station for the return leg to the UK (United Kingdom).....that's when I found out that there was also an unfamiliar american version of "Dennis the Menace"!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 08:48:59 »

As a child, I travelled a lot by train ... as an adult with children, I travelled with them.  Windows are marvellous things.  A changing picture and an ongoing educational opportunity. The one mode where that failed was flying, in larger aircraft especially.  For longer journeys, worthwhile the adult preparing ahead - knowing a little about the route, making it educational and / or a game, and having other activities within the car / bus / carriage / plane to break up longer journeys.  I will say we are all different and that applies to children - they are all different too and I was darned lucky with mine!

For a return to leisure traffic, we need to encourage families to travel. Family fares (what a pity that Groupsave is now adult only) and - here's a biggie for the buses especially - clean windows.   Pictures from last Saturday (below - at end of post) - showing where improveent is needed; part of a bus study.

We also need to help providing travel information - I remember travelling, sometimes in quite recent years, across Germany on longer distance trains and having leaflets at each seat / table showing where and when the train called, onward conections, and so forth. What a wonderful aid to parents and to the occsional traveller.  No harder that the carriage labels on an HST (High Speed Train) to manage, and perhaps an opportunity to add one or two - not much more - interesting facts and figures, "did you know" and quizlets on the back page.

P.S. Three buses I travelled on - 272 Melksham to Bath (picture from within), D1 Bath to Trowbridge (picture from within), 69 Trowbridge to Melksham (cleaner, also pictured within)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 11:14:55 »

Dirty windows remind me of the buses in Poland, which often had advertisements on the outside of the windows. Mostly town buses so there's not much a view anyway but it makes them so dark and depressing inside.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 13:06:31 »

Love it!
I can remember being satisfied with looking out of the window, and maybe with a bar of chocolate, on long train trips, but you cant expect kids today to be so easily satisfied.

Electronic entertainments and a continuing supply of sweet fizzy pop and unhealthy snacks are expected these days.

That's a very broad generalisation broadgage. Your chocolate was okay but sweet fizzy pop and snacks aren't? I was perfectly able to keep my young nephews entertained on train journeys without them  needing electronic devices.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 07:30:59 »

With the current weather conditions, busses would need to be cleaned twice a day to ensure they didn't look too bad.
Clean it overnight & it's filthy by lunchtime but also has to continue in service until late at night.
Around 15 minutes manual washing per bus, or 6 minutes if in a bus wash - plus the cost of detergents and electricity.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 10:54:00 »

With the current weather conditions, busses would need to be cleaned twice a day to ensure they didn't look too bad.
Clean it overnight & it's filthy by lunchtime but also has to continue in service until late at night.
Around 15 minutes manual washing per bus, or 6 minutes if in a bus wash - plus the cost of detergents and electricity.

The Option 24/7 team was taking a look at what is in various BSIP bus charters from around the UK (United Kingdom), and "Clean buses" came out pretty darned high.  We came to a suggestion of a daily clean, with a middle-of-the day pick up of loose litter internally as a standard to be aimed for, rather aware that although various places in the country are committing to this target, it'll not be an easy one to achieve.

I hear you on how quickly they get dirty in the current conditions, but I would be very surprised if the bus pictured here before 09:00 in the morning had left the depot clean that morning.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2022, 11:10:31 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) are looking after families before they leave Paddington with a priority boarding trial on selected services during February half-term.

An excellent idea which will hopefully be extended to all school holidays.

Booking details and the list of services:
https://www.gwr.com/travelling-with-us/family-travel/priority-boarding

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 11:20:02 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) are looking after families before they leave Paddington with a priority boarding trial on selected services during February half-term.

An excellent idea which will hopefully be extended to all school holidays.

Booking details and the list of services:
https://www.gwr.com/travelling-with-us/family-travel/priority-boarding

I thought your philosophy was "first come first served" given your comments on under 5s in seats?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: