Delayed
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 22:57:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Still a few tickets left to Waterloo net Saturday (19th)  (Read 1509 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 12, 2022, 05:12:40 »

For next Saturday I have booked a trip to Waterloo ... always popular in West Wilts, but a few seats remain:

... and we're off to Grease - or is that Greece - in April ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 06:25:41 »

When I saw the headline for the first time I thought a special train had been organised to London Waterloo.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 12:00:32 »

For next Saturday I have booked a trip to Waterloo ... always popular in West Wilts, but .....

I too had visions that you and Mark A had organised a Bath to Waterloo (steam possibly) special..
Not April 1st is it?  Roll Eyes

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 12:26:11 »

For next Saturday I have booked a trip to Waterloo ... always popular in West Wilts, but .....

I too had visions that you and Mark A had organised a Bath to Waterloo (steam possibly) special..
Not April 1st is it?  Roll Eyes

If such an event would generate predominantly good publicity and be practical, affordable, enjoyable, resourceable, effective use of time and we could manage the risks then why not?   One of the few areas where support for the through services was less than 100% was from elements of the rail enthusiast lobby, where the view was that changes of train along the way add to the experience and provide variety on the journey, and where their cost of travel hasn't been a major decider.  That was a far from unanimous view - probably very much a minority one - but it does help to suggest to me that the passenger card is a stronger and purer one than the enthusiast card.

Don't Belmond already run occasional steam trips from London to Bath via Salisbury?  Now it WOULD be 1st April if I were to suggest those were to be increase to three times a day each way, calling at Keynsham, Oldfield Park, Bradford-on-Avon, Trowbridge, Warminster and Clapham Junction too, and offering travel with all the standard tickets available on the line.  I suspect the trains might be busy with people on Rover tickets, Groupsaves, etc and would to enormous good in encouraging people back to rail, and new people to try it with their families.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 19:26:39 »

One of the few areas where support for the through services was less than 100% was from elements of the rail enthusiast lobby, where the view was that changes of train along the way add to the experience and provide variety on the journey, and where their cost of travel hasn't been a major decider.  That was a far from unanimous view - probably very much a minority one - but it does help to suggest to me that the passenger card is a stronger and purer one than the enthusiast card.

Hmm

That might be seen as something of a simplistic view, because the “rail enthusiast lobby” (which includes I presume some serving railwaymen) might actually understand the practicalities of running a service with reduced passenger numbers as a result of pandemic. Joe Public will not be aware of these and will only see a one-sided point of view, probably seen through rose-tinted glasses.

If the majority view always prevailed, we would have brought back hanging and conscription many years ago. We would have run the risk of having to pardon dead people or filled the Armed Forces with people who didn’t want to be there and weren’t wanted there anyway, just because the majority thought it was a good thing.

Joe Public will often support things for no apparent reason. I remember standing on Teewell Hill Bridge between Staple Hill and Mangotsfield in 1963 after the Beeching Report was published as two neighbours were walking by and a Bath stopper had just come out of Staple Hill tunnel. Said He to Her “it will be a pity when they close it” but I had never once in y life seen em waiting on Staple Hill station...

Indeed, for an example you need look no further than Melksham. After the station reopened it was found that there were a lot more people who supported the reopening than were prepared to put their hands in their pocket and buy a ticket, and that is why the service was abysmal for 30-odd years.

So did you do a survey to measure levels of support? Did you ask questions like “do you oppose the withdrawal?” and “would you use the service if it was reinstated?”

If you asked “how many times a month did you use the service when it ran you might – just might – get a different perspective, and one perhaps not to far adrift from the “rail enthusiast lobby”

I’ll do Brexit next if you like.  Grin

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 20:45:59 »

I’ll do Brexit next if you like.  Grin

Let's do one at a time, Robin

I can only speak with authority to Melksham changes after 2006, but prior to that and indeed right through to 2013 we had either a lack of trains or a lack of publicity, very often both, and a lack of giving any service improvements time to be promoted and bed in.   And you can't fill trains if they're not running, nor if people don't know about them.

I am very much aware of "optimism factor" - people who want services but overstate their use (which might turn out be zero) but with an overwhelming flood of support and a useable, reliable and publicised timetable there will be an abundant supply of takers at about the right level if the forecasting is roughly right.   Public surveys, business surveys, professional analysis and (!) proving that we could get people onto trains which was hard when we had virtually none.  We have a number of quite superb transport professionals here, and we can hear hard truths and differing views from them at times and discuss things practically - I love it and very happy with it and that combination.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 23:44:03 »

Been to Waterloo this evening.  Two pictures ... and two pictures from Paddington to prove just how different destinations they are, and how different the people who go there are. 

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: