Delayed
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 17:33:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[91] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[44] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[31] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[5] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[3] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where was I yesterday, Tuesday 15th March?  (Read 1757 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2022, 11:46:58 »

Happened upon this on a railway enabled day out.  It's adjacent to a railway but only indirectly linked to it.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 12:13:03 »

Alongside the Taunton and Bridgwater Canal between Creech St Michael and Charlton (Cogload Junction). I assume you took notice of the 'scale model' of the solar system alongside the tow path?
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 12:49:28 »

Alongside the Taunton and Bridgwater Canal between Creech St Michael and Charlton (Cogload Junction). I assume you took notice of the 'scale model' of the solar system alongside the tow path?

Spot on.  It was originally used to pump water from the river to the canal ( its Watt beam engine is now in a museum in Taunton) but was in later years used to pump water to the railway.
I did the entire "Somerset Space Walk", Taunton to Bridgwater yesterday.
As PhilWakely pointed out, it is a "to scale" sculpture walk of the solar system using the entire length of the canal with The Sun at the mid point at Maunsell locks with the planets placed at their correct sizes and distances in both directions from the centre.
I've posted a couple of pictures below to illustrate.
It's quite an interesting canal anyway, I'll post a couple of parts which I found surprising later on.
As I said previously, it was railway enabled as I took the outward train to Taunton and the return to Bristol was from Bridgwater.
My feet feel a little sore today.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 13:21:02 »

1980's pop star Howard Jones lives in The Engine House.

As kids we used to go to The County Museum in Taunton on Saturdays. You could pay 5p to see the Watt beam engine from The Engine House running. Not steam powered unfortunately. It is, or was, connected to an electric motor. Not sure if its still on display.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 14:17:51 »

I was not expecting some of the canal at the Bridgwater end to resemble more a scene from the industrial Midlands than a Somerset town but these pictures below were taken there yesterday.  The old docks, also pictured, are rather larger than I anticipated.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 16:45:13 »

Interesting. I know about the Solar System Trail in York but hadn't realised there was one much nearer. I can feel an investigation happening.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 17:15:08 »

Interesting. I know about the Solar System Trail in York but hadn't realised there was one much nearer. I can feel an investigation happening.

This one is interesting simply because of the scale - plus the excellent cafe at Maunsell Lock (if and when it is open). You need to keep a good eye out for the planets. Once you find one, don't expect the next to be 'just around the corner'. Allow a fair amount of time (even if you are on the bike).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 17:32:11 »

I lived alongside the canal in the YMCA in Bridgwater for about a year in 1999-2000. I didn't drive back then so used to cycle to and from Taunton to visit family - when I couldn't afford the bus! The solar system is a great feature of the canal. As is Cogload Junction for photographing passing trains.

I second the tearooms at Maunsell Lock. Another watering hole worth checking out is the Harvest Moon in North Newton. Just a short detour from the Church Lane swing bridge between Jupiter and Saturn!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 19:56:22 »

The solar system is a great feature of the canal. As is Cogload Junction for photographing passing trains.

Yes, and what an strikingly impressive landmark that metal bridge structure makes.  This snap that I took doesn't do it justice.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 20:09:02 »

The Path surface looks good in that picture is it generally as good?
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 20:46:39 »

The Path surface looks good in that picture is it generally as good?

Pretty good really.  Very little in the way of muddy patches.  It seems to be fairly well maintained.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2022, 20:31:08 »

Visited Maunsell lock and tea room today with trainer ....saw the 4 inner planetary markers and the sun...and also noticed 2 pillboxes,part of the Taunton stop line. One facing east and the other facing west. Was a delightful spot at the tearoom with the daffodils out with a very tame Robin perched on the outside table just waiting for a few crumbs of my scrumptious coffee and walnut cake. If it hadn't been for this thread, I would never have known about this. Thumbs up all round to all the contributors.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: