14:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
07:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 10:42:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: P&O Ferries  (Read 6628 times)
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2022, 14:31:01 »

I used to think that they would also haver access to the best HR (Human Resources)▸ advice and public relations companies, but it seems I was wrong. This has the hallmarks of some of the worst practices of the 1970s, but without the original disputes.

Having access to the best advisers does not mean that their advice will be followed.

I understand that they have made what they consider to be a generous offer of a pay off, which could very well be calculated based on what they have been advised the employees would be awarded. It does not (of course) excuse the way they have gone about it.
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2022, 14:45:13 »

Once again not all P&O Ferries are Cyprus registered. This may apply to the Dover fleet but not to others. The Pride of Hull is registered in The Bahamas and others are registered elsewhere. I am also unsure if the port of registration (if outside UK (United Kingdom)) is especially relevant to this discussion. Regardless the loyal P&O workforce deserves better treatment.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2022, 18:20:56 »

Once again not all P&O Ferries are Cyprus registered. This may apply to the Dover fleet but not to others. The Pride of Hull is registered in The Bahamas and others are registered elsewhere. I am also unsure if the port of registration (if outside UK (United Kingdom)) is especially relevant to this discussion. Regardless the loyal P&O workforce deserves better treatment.

That is the reason seafarers come under the Merchant Shipping (Marine Labour Convention) (Min Requirements for Seafarers) Regs 2014

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2022, 13:19:53 »

Stinks of 'Thatcherism' of the 1980's .
 When hospital ancillary worker's sacked and replaced by low paid contract staff.
  High profile because of the way it was handled, but it has been going on for year's.
  No doubt it will happen in the Railway Industry when TOC (Train Operating Company)'s strip platform staff of their
  Safety Critical status and replace them with casual agency staff on an as required basis.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2022, 19:32:19 »

No doubt it will happen in the Railway Industry when TOC (Train Operating Company)'s strip platform staff of their
  Safety Critical status and replace them with casual agency staff on an as required basis.

If it happens (and I am doubtful) I think it more likely that it would be DfT» (Department for Transport - about) that are the instigators not the TOC's
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2022, 19:36:33 »

It has been said that P&O are in the red. However the trouble seems to be that employing British crews has become prohibitively expensive if you are in competition with foreign crewed ships. Whatever excuses P&O give out this treatment of their crews is thoroughly shameful and a massively indelible stain on the company. My thoughts are with the staff who have been dismissed.

Dave
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2022, 08:14:32 »

I will be surprised if P & O are found to have broken the law. They will have had access to the best lawyers that dodgy oil money can buy, and have probably acted just within the law.

It seems that broadgage may be right at least on one count.

From Sky News

P&O Ferries sackings: Change in law signed off by Chris Grayling meant P&O didn't need to tell govt, maritime lawyer says

A change in the law signed off by former Conservative minister Chris Grayling cleared the way for P&O Ferries to legally sack 800 staff last week without telling the government, a leading maritime lawyer has told Sky News.

Legislation to protect employees in the UK (United Kingdom) was amended by Mr Grayling in 2018 so that the secretary of state does not have to be notified of mass redundancies on ships registered overseas....

The article continues
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2022, 21:34:14 »

I will be surprised if P & O are found to have broken the law. They will have had access to the best lawyers that dodgy oil money can buy, and have probably acted just within the law.

It seems that broadgage may be right at least on one count.

From Sky News

P&O Ferries sackings: Change in law signed off by Chris Grayling meant P&O didn't need to tell govt, maritime lawyer says

A change in the law signed off by former Conservative minister Chris Grayling cleared the way for P&O Ferries to legally sack 800 staff last week without telling the government, a leading maritime lawyer has told Sky News.

Legislation to protect employees in the UK (United Kingdom) was amended by Mr Grayling in 2018 so that the secretary of state does not have to be notified of mass redundancies on ships registered overseas....

The article continues

I'm trying to be fair and think of a reason why he could have done this without realising the potential consequences. The only thing I can come up with is that he didn't intend for it to apply to any shipping company with any actual ships.

Now, please!
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2022, 10:21:33 »

It now seems that P&O Ferries senior management *did* know that they were breaking the law by sacking so many staff without due process

https://www.euronews.com/2022/03/24/p-o-ferries-outcry-as-boss-admits-breaking-uk-law-in-sacking-nearly-800

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2022, 22:25:25 »

P&O ferry held in Northern Ireland as "not fit to sail" due to crew training and other concerns.
Looks as though the flexible safety standards have started already.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60881550

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2022, 22:43:56 »

A second ferry has now been detained due to safety concerns.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60908750

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2022, 07:32:38 »

According to reports on the website of a tabloid newspaper, P&O ferries are to "cease sailings indefinitely, passengers advised to seek alternatives"

But I can not find similar reports on more reputable media. Can anyone confirm or deny ?

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2022, 07:52:07 »

According to reports on the website of a tabloid newspaper, P&O ferries are to "cease sailings indefinitely, passengers advised to seek alternatives"

But I can not find similar reports on more reputable media. Can anyone confirm or deny ?

ITV reputable enough?

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2022-04-08/p-and-o-ferries-suspends-all-services-from-dover-to-calais-this-weekend
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2022, 08:22:00 »

Yes they are, thanks for the link.
It seems that this applies only to one route, not to the entire operation.

The earlier report to which I referred IMPLIED a total shutdown, but was "clickbait" which worked to an extent as I DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) click on it but gave up trying to find the actual news among all the adverts.

Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2022, 20:00:52 »

https://twitter.com/POferriesupdate suggests it's also the case on the Larne-Cairnryan route.

I think that just leaves Liverpool-Dublin ("back in operation") and Hull-Rotterdam ("operating on a reduced schedule").
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: