Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:18:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • No RMT Strike At FGW: May 18, 2008
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: industrial action??????????????/  (Read 6384 times)
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 10:47:26 »

So if they get their 1.25 overtime rate, does that mean my salary will be increased into line with the higher levels that ex-Wessex/Thames staff are now enjoying?  The words Cake + Eat It spring to mind.  Roll Eyes

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 07:26:00 »

Presumably the 'higher levels' enjoyed are for different contractural commitments perhaps, a 42 hour week as opposed to 35 and a flat overtime rate.(That's my interpretation of what's implied on the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) website) The unions should be pushing for parity for all FGW (First Great Western) staff irrespective of which company they came from.  Unfortunately due to the fact that union membership appears to be dwindling, some staff are on personal contracts and the lack of collective bargaining, the management have been able to get away with it up to now. 

Of course the ideal scenario would be:- British Rail = Closed Shop = Collective Bargaining = Parity  but then again I am stuck in the past!  Grin ;

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 11:02:45 »

Presumably the 'higher levels' enjoyed are for different contractural commitments perhaps, a 42 hour week as opposed to 35 and a flat overtime rate.

Nope, 35hour contract in the cases I know anyway -- it may be different in this instance though.

I'm not moaning, as i'm happy with my contract, it just irritates me a little that those been offering more to start with, want even more or they're off on strike.

Of course the ideal scenario would be:- British Rail = Closed Shop = Collective Bargaining = Parity  but then again I am stuck in the past!  Grin ;

Not a bad equation in my opinion -- and I hated maths  Grin

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 18:33:59 »

Here is the official FGW (First Great Western) response, from some print out on the messroom table

"FGW reinforces enhanced benefits commitment for engineering teams

Yesterday the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) announced that it will ask its members in our engineering team to take strike action on Sunday 18 May, over what it calls our ^refusal to pay [engineering grades] an enhanced rate of pay for overtime and or to concede a 35-hour week.^

As far back as last December, we made a clear commitment to union representatives to give all our engineering teams a 35-hour working week and payment of overtime at time and quarter. Our proposals also include introducing 100 per cent pensionable pay in future for all depot teams.

While talking to colleagues at depots, we also made clear our commitment to introducing these benefits directly to colleagues.

Other unions voted against striking over this issue. Out of more than 1,000 engineering colleagues less than 135 voted for strike action. It is disappointing that such a small mandate has the potential to cause disruption to such a large number of customers and colleagues.

Strike action will benefit no-one. There is no need for colleagues to be out of pocket by taking strike action over something we have already promised.

We expect colleagues who are not RMT members and those not subject to the ballot to be working as normal. Contingency plans are in place to ensure services for customers are not affected should the strike action go ahead.

Engineering director"

make what you will out of that!
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 22:10:02 »

As far back as last December, we made a clear commitment to union representatives to give all our engineering teams a 35-hour working week and payment of overtime at time and quarter. Our proposals also include introducing 100 per cent pensionable pay in future for all depot teams.
[/b]

Damn that FGW (First Great Western) are so unreasonable  Roll Eyes Wink

signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 06:34:00 »

Commitment
Commitment
Commitment

I note there is no 'commitment'  to a timescale by FGW (First Great Western) for all this to happen? 

100% pensionabe pay is good though as long as people can afford the increased contributions.  Don't forget it will be from now & not (usually) backdated to when people joined.

vacman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 10:36:30 »

Commitment
Commitment
Commitment

I note there is no 'commitment'  to a timescale by FGW (First Great Western) for all this to happen? 

100% pensionabe pay is good though as long as people can afford the increased contributions.  Don't forget it will be from now & not (usually) backdated to when people joined.

It will probably be backdated to the 1st April, don't forget, all FGW staff had a 5.4% pay rise this year aswell.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 14:41:59 »

Further related links.
http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/2008/05/pay_conditons_dispute_engineer.html#more

http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/2008/05/first_great_western_trainmaint.html#more

http://thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=133464&command=displayContent&sourceNode=133158&contentPK=20617501&folderPk=78031&pNodeId=133174
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 16:40:35 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 16:24:44 »

Commitment
Commitment
Commitment

It will probably be backdated to the 1st April, don't forget, all FGW staff had a 5.4% pay rise this year aswell.

no takes affect 8th june
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 21:09:10 »

Oxford Mail article link on the cancellation of the strike.
http://www.oxfordmail.net/news/headlines/display.var.2275810.0.train_staff_strike_halted.php

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2008, 08:06:06 »

From the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) website

24-hour strike action planned for Sunday, May 18 was called off after the company dropped plans to extend the use of contractors within engineering and agreed to pay all overtime within the engineering grades at a time and quarter with effect from Sunday June 8 2008.

The company also agreed to implement 35-hour week rosters and a 25 per cent increase in earnings for some of the lowest paid cleaning grade members.

RMT general secretary Bob Crow congratulated members on sticking together and standing up to a management that had not previously been prepared to treat staff equally.

^The vast majority of FGW (First Great Western) engineering and cleaning staff were still being paid the flat hourly rate for their overtime, rather than the time-and-a-quarter enjoyed by other FGW staff, including train-crew and station staff.

Staff at Bristol, Reading, Oxford, Penzance, Exeter, Plymouth, Swansea, and Old Oak Common in London had voted by a three-to-one margin for strike action.

^Due to the steadfastness of members at FGW, these inequalities have been removed.

^This once more shows what can be achieved if all grades organise and work together in one industrial union.

This month RMT also launched a charter for train maintenance depot workers to address the issues of disparity between pay rates, overtime enhancements and employment conditions.

^This is the first step in making our members' wishes a reality,^ Bob Crow said.

ends

Well done, no mention of the 100% pensionable pay though?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: