Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:01:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[129] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[111] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[41] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[39] access for all at Devon stations report
[25] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[20] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • No RMT Strike At FGW: May 18, 2008
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: industrial action??????????????/  (Read 6381 times)
smithy

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2008, 22:44:34 »

i have heard a rumour engineering staff have been balloted for strike action.

this is only a rumour and is not confirmed nor do i know why they have been balloted.

if it is true that will be some more bad press for fgw and also does not look good for the meetings with the government.

can anyone confirm this is true or indeed if it is a load of rubbish for that matter??ideally a member of fgw staff should be able to shed a bit more light on this.

(Topic now linked to calendar - Lee Fletcher.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 14:43:33 by Lee Fletcher » Logged
kazbear

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 19:07:34 »

Found this on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) website

Rail staff to strike in pay row 
Rail maintenance workers and cleaners have agreed to stage a one-day strike in a row over hours and overtime.

The Rail Maritime and Transport Union said 400 of its members at First Great Western will walk out on 18 May.

The union claims the company has refused to pay an enhanced overtime rate or agree a set 35-hour week.

The workers, based at Bristol, Reading, Oxford, Penzance, Exeter, Plymouth, Swansea and London, voted three to one in favour or taking industrial action.

The Union's general secretary Bob Crow said: "The vast majority of First Great Western engineering and cleaning staff are still paid the flat hourly rate for overtime rather than the time-and-a-quarter enjoyed by other staff including train crews."

Mr Crow said the union had no alternative but to order a strike.

miniman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 22:00:14 »

The Union's general secretary Bob Crow said: "The vast majority of First Great Western engineering and cleaning staff are still paid the flat hourly rate for overtime rather than the time-and-a-quarter enjoyed by other staff including train crews."

Oh for crying out loud, how much longer before this idiot is removed from a position of power that enables him to inflict grief on thousands of commuters? The "vast majority of FGW (First Great Western) engineering and cleaning staff" signed a contract when they took their job that explained how they would be paid. If they didn't like it, they shouldn't have taken the job. If they don't like it now, they should quit.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 22:27:37 »

If you dont like your job - go find another one

And if you cant, maybe your job is not as bad as you thought it was.

If I dont like my client, I walk and find a new one - may mean I'm not earning for a couple of months but that is MY CHOICE - if the money was that important I'd stick it out. 

And as I've said before, you tak a job, you make your choice - dont expect me to feel sympathy for you when it affects MY income.  I am not a charity - if I cant get to work I dont earn (unlike a lot of employees with sick pay and holiday pay etc) - strikers have 0 support from me.

Noe one makes you have an employments - you are not slaves - if its that bad, just quit and allow someone who appreciates the job to do it

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 23:06:11 »

Oh for crying out loud, how much longer before this idiot is removed from a position of power that enables him to inflict grief on thousands of commuters? The "vast majority of FGW (First Great Western) engineering and cleaning staff" signed a contract when they took their job that explained how they would be paid. If they didn't like it, they shouldn't have taken the job. If they don't like it now, they should quit.

since i first posted i have more details and must admit i agree with the staff for the industrial action.

why should us train crew etc get enhanced rates for overtime but the engineering and cleaners do not? we all work for fgw so should all be treated the same.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 23:34:41 »

since i first posted i have more details and must admit i agree with the staff for the industrial action.

why should us train crew etc get enhanced rates for overtime but the engineering and cleaners do not? we all work for fgw so should all be treated the same.

Because they were the T&C when you took the job.

Just because someone else does better does not give you the right to disrupt the public

If another contractor is on more than me, do I down tools and say I want the same.

No, I was happy with my rate when I took the gig, just because someone else had better bargaining skills does not give me the right to down tools.

Anyone who strikes should be fired with no severance pay - you have the right to withdraw your labour, employer should have the right to say see you good bye

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

vacman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 00:08:30 »

Spose I would support them if the unit's were actually cleaned properly once in a while....... but they're not, on a unit today that the inside was just filthy, as in grime and dirt rather than litter, the cleaners are supposed to clean to that standard but don't bother!
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 00:17:35 »

If you dont like your job - go find another one

Lets not go into this again. I dont feel like proving you wrong on every single level once again Wink

In this current business climate it's simply not feasable for people to keep switching jobs if and when they like. Not to mention that rail  engineers arn't exactly  in demand. It's a case of move to another region and hope you can get a job there if you were to leave FGW (First Great Western). So yeah, completely practical...
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 00:20:55 »

I do agree with you on the standard of cleaning (or, rather, not cleaning), vacman.  There's a lot of accumulated grime and dirt that shows some units just haven't been looked after for a long time.

Do the cleaners perhaps take the view that those units are so old, nobody will notice?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Commuting Bookworm

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 15:27:19 »

So if the strike goes ahead on 18/05 how will that inpact us, the commuters?

I also have no sympathy with the strikers, they were aware of T&C's and rates of pay when they took the job! Strike is such an old fashioned way of dealing with gripes, and should be outlawed! Whilst we're at it with Human rights legislation I'm not convinced that there is a place for TU's anymore.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 16:52:54 »

You do realise that 18/05 is a sunday?Huh  Embarrassed
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 17:51:14 »

You do realise that 18/05 is a sunday?Huh  Embarrassed

In that case I suspect the trains will be even more filthy than normal

redskin125

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 22:22:25 »

If the strike goes ahead, I would expect disruption on the evening before the strike, as Maintenance staff control access to the depots. So sets would either have to be got onto depot prior to stike action, with the likelyhood they won't get back off depot or left in stations / sidings.
Certainly with HST (High Speed Train)'s, unless management are going to go on depot and fuel them overnight and work the signalling to get them back off depot. The majority of sets may be good for one journey the following day, unless they are in the West of England. Due to the fuel range of an HST we work to being 1120 miles and most HSTs cover between 900 and 1080 miles a day.
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 22:26:12 »

Um, was going to go out for first day of TT. May be going out for something entirely different now.
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 07:21:34 »

From the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) website

'The breakdown in industrial relations centres on the company's consistent refusal to pay an enhanced rate of pay for overtime and or to concede a 35-hour week at the Reading and Exeter depots.'

Judging from the above, it seems that the former Thames Trains  and Wessex staff are trying to get the same terms & conditions as the rest of the first group, good luck to them.  If it disrupts a few commuters then tough, the employers in this industry who are profit driven will try to screw all the staff over if they think they can get away with it.

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: