04:50 Fratton to Bristol Temple Meads
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 06:35:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 56
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024  (Read 86436 times)
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: November 10, 2023, 11:13:14 »

With ticket office staff, I know that several staff had already applied for, been interviewed and offered other positions, mainly on board. If they wanted to return to their original posts would they be allowed to? If not or if they didn't want to, will management fill the vacancies?
Don't forget this proposal only kicks the can down the road.
This years pay award, of which talks start in February, will be subject to the same changes to conditions that have been talked about for the past 18 months but done locally i.e. by individual TOCs (Train Operating Company) (allegedly(!))
I expect the subject closure of ticket offices WILL raise it's head again by the end of next year when the security of no job losses disappears.

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 11, 2023, 08:51:21 »

With ticket office staff, I know that several staff had already applied for, been interviewed and offered other positions, mainly on board. If they wanted to return to their original posts would they be allowed to? If not or if they didn't want to, will management fill the vacancies?
Don't forget this proposal only kicks the can down the road.
This years pay award, of which talks start in February, will be subject to the same changes to conditions that have been talked about for the past 18 months but done locally i.e. by individual TOCs (Train Operating Company) (allegedly(!))
I expect the subject closure of ticket offices WILL raise it's head again by the end of next year when the security of no job losses disappears.

As you say the can has been kicked down the road.

I suspect that ticket office closures will now happen on an individual, "creeping death" basis, retaining those which are more commercially viable whilst letting go those at the other end - especially where the space can be exploited more lucratively.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 11, 2023, 09:04:27 »

I think the key is ticket reform, reducing the complexity of that system. Once that is done, and passengers are comfortable with it, the ticket office dilemma will be revisited. However, I feel this ticket office future needs to be done following negotiation.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 11, 2023, 11:19:31 »

I suspect that ticket office closures will now happen on an individual, "creeping death" basis, retaining those which are more commercially viable whilst letting go those at the other end - especially where the space can be exploited more lucratively.

I also think that will be the case.  But it’s a much better way of doing it than the ridiculously rushed and ill thought out ‘you must close them all’ directive.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 13, 2023, 00:35:03 »

I think the key is ticket reform, reducing the complexity of that system. Once that is done, and passengers are comfortable with it, the ticket office dilemma will be revisited. However, I feel this ticket office future needs to be done following negotiation.

I have long suggested a very considerable simplification of rail fares, with only three different fares for each journey and preferably colour coded.
If such a scheme was adopted, then closing less used ticket offices would be reasonable.
the three fares to be known as peak, off peak and super bargain.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 13, 2023, 08:59:03 »

If you haven’t already, it might be worth producing a detailed set of proposals and sending that to all the relevant policy makers?

The franchise system collapse means there has never been a better time since privatisation for a wholesale reform.

If it comes to nothing, then at least you’ve tried - after all, there’s very little chance of it being picked up on here.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #756 on: November 16, 2023, 09:06:32 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) - ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) Strike days

Train drivers are set to stage a fresh round of strikes in their long-running dispute over pay.
The Aslef union has announced a "rolling programme" of walkouts between 2 and 8 December, with different train companies affected on each day.
Drivers will also refuse to work any overtime from 1 to 9 December as part of the industrial action.

[snip]

Saturday 2 December at East Midlands Railway and LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about)
Sunday 3 December at Avanti West Coast, Chiltern, Great Northern Thameslink, and West Midlands Trains
Tuesday 5 December at C2C and Greater Anglia
Wednesday 6 December at Southeastern, Southern/Gatwick Express, SWR» (South Western Railway - about) main line, SWR depot drivers, and Island Line
Thursday 7 December at CrossCountry and GWR (Great Western Railway)
Friday 8 December at Northern and TPT

Services are expected to be cancelled on strike days, causing disruption for passengers.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 16, 2023, 09:11:28 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) - ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) Strike days

Train drivers are set to stage a fresh round of strikes in their long-running dispute over pay.
The Aslef union has announced a "rolling programme" of walkouts between 2 and 8 December, with different train companies affected on each day.
Drivers will also refuse to work any overtime from 1 to 9 December as part of the industrial action.

[snip]

Saturday 2 December at East Midlands Railway and LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about)
Sunday 3 December at Avanti West Coast, Chiltern, Great Northern Thameslink, and West Midlands Trains
Tuesday 5 December at C2C and Greater Anglia
Wednesday 6 December at Southeastern, Southern/Gatwick Express, SWR» (South Western Railway - about) main line, SWR depot drivers, and Island Line
Thursday 7 December at CrossCountry and GWR (Great Western Railway)
Friday 8 December at Northern and TPT

Services are expected to be cancelled on strike days, causing disruption for passengers.

Oh dear, the day I am supposed to be doing a presentation in London
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #758 on: November 16, 2023, 10:21:52 »

Oh dear, the day I am supposed to be doing a presentation in London

On past form there will be limited daytime services ...  and historically there would have been "the Waterloos"

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 16, 2023, 12:24:18 »

I don't suppose that we can expect them to go and spend their £59,189 (BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) fig) salaries on Christmas prezzies in their own time - can we ?  Undecided Undecided
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 26, 2023, 09:28:43 »

I’m expecting widespread disruption on Sunday 3rd December with the non-contractual overtime ban.  Many HSS (High Speed Services) grade drivers are likely to make themselves unavailable as per their T&C’s and GWR (Great Western Railway) grade drivers won’t be volunteering for additional shifts.

Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 27, 2023, 12:14:28 »

My original 7th December booking DIG > EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) >PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) has had to be binned - RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) has been updated to indicate no Exmouth branch services, only two trains to PAD and no HEx service either.

I will (hopefully) now take a bus, using a crinklies pass, from home to Exeter city centre - the Stagecoach H will drop me off at EXC - and then 1L56 from EXC (1430) to CLJ (1809), this being diverted via WSB» (Westbury - next trains) to avoid the engineering closure, followed by 1N95 CLJ (1822) > FEL (1842), and then the 490 TfL» (Transport for London - about) bus to Heathrow T4 (overnight hotel prior to early Friday flight to Nice + train to Toulon for the European Champions Cup game on Saturday).

Fingers firmly crossed!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 28, 2023, 19:20:21 »

I’m expecting widespread disruption on Sunday 3rd December with the non-contractual overtime ban.  Many HSS (High Speed Services) grade drivers are likely to make themselves unavailable as per their T&C’s and GWR (Great Western Railway) grade drivers won’t be volunteering for additional shifts.

GWR backing up what you posted yesterday II:

Sunday 3 December – Action short of a strike

There will be significant disruption to services and customers are recommended to travel the day before or the following day. Where trains can run, they will be extremely busy.

Source: www.gwr.com/strike
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 29, 2023, 21:48:05 »

Looking at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) for this coming Sunday 3rd of December, from what I can see, the only HSS (High Speed Services) services that will be operating to/from London is an hourly service Swindon to Paddington and an hourly service North Cotswolds line to Paddington.

There will also be an hourly HSS service between Bath and Bristol along with the usual local and inter regional services. These appear to be running as normal across the GWR (Great Western Railway) network. However, what’s shown today on RTT and what actually runs on the 3rd may be two completely different things.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 30, 2023, 08:09:17 »

Looking at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) for this coming Sunday 3rd of December, from what I can see, the only HSS (High Speed Services) services that will be operating to/from London is an hourly service Swindon to Paddington and an hourly service North Cotswolds line to Paddington.

There will also be an hourly HSS service between Bath and Bristol along with the usual local and inter regional services. These appear to be running as normal across the GWR (Great Western Railway) network. However, what’s shown today on RTT and what actually runs on the 3rd may be two completely different things.

GWR have confirmed this on X (Twitter) this morning:
https://twitter.com/GWRHelp/status/1730121328034738543
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 56
  Print  

Jump to: