Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
21:08 London Paddington to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 21:18:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Cross country to Bournemouth  (Read 11820 times)
dog box

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2008, 09:19:06 »

(please feel free to move this post to a more appropriate heading)........seems as if this service seems still popular from Reading and as Cross Country are binning it soon what alternatives exist??
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 22:50:45 by dog box » Logged

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 09:55:58 »

(please feel free to move this post to a more appropriate heading)........seems as if this service seems still popular from Reading and as Cross Country are binning it soon what alternatives exist??

Really?

That will affect two of the people who work for me (and me on occasion!)

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 10:05:46 »

They're binning it?  Shocked

News to me. *goes to do some digging around*

Are you sure you don't mean Brighton....?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 10:07:58 by swlines » Logged
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 11:04:54 »

Are you going to spell cross country correctly
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 21:13:51 »

Um, this is not going to happen. If so, all XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services will stop at Reading (or Guilford)!

Then again, is this part of the new Beeching Axe?
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 22:55:23 »

Just for you Chris2 i have modified the heading....i really do hope it makes you happy and you are possibly right swlines about it being Brighton .....just something someone told me last week

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 22:56:58 »

Brighton has been known as ending for over 2 years at least... Wink

Can't see Bournemouth ending (if it does, it'll be curtailed to Southampton Central).
Doctor Gideon Ceefax

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 00:14:21 »

It is Brighton Depot. The staff are being made redundant. A few were offered jobs in Euston (as it was still run by Virgin when the changes were announced), and a few will go to Southern. Bournemouth is currently safe, although at one point there was talk of SWT (South West Trains) taking over the service and splitting it, but that hasn't come to anything.

For those in the South East of England, the Cross Country network is becoming more and more restricted. There used to be services from Dover and Ramsgate to the north, then they were axed. Portsmouth actually had direct HSTs (High Speed Train) to Liverpool and Blackpool at one point, and a 158 service as well, and that was next to go, and now its Brighton. Some of the Bournemouths used to go to Poole and there were extensions to Weymouth on summer Saturdays. Equally the old Connex Brighton to Rugby service has been cut back to Watford, in many cases forcing people to go via London. Personally I see it all as a backwards step, and yet Voyagers despite their faults arguably have actually made it more flexible to run these sort of services (no need to run locomotives round, and they can fit in bays).

Worth noting that it's not just Brighton that has lost the service, Gatwick Airport and East Croydon (both very important stops) have also been removed from the network. Quite how all this is supposed to benefit the average passenger I don't know. I suppose the argument is that it frees up paths for the commuter services into London.

Indeed changes to the Cross Country network have also seen the removal of Liverpool, relegating it from Intercity status to a regional station with a token Euston service. Anyone remember the daily Plymouth - Liverpool and Bristol - Liverpool services?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 18:21:17 »

Over the years, many stations have disappeared from the InterCity network. These are the ones if I remeber from various maps I have seen:

Fort William, Inverness, Barrow, Windermere, Morecambe, Blackpool, Kensington Olympia...

Falmouth, Newquay, Kingswear, Weymouth (?), Barnstaple (?) ..... arguably St. Ives!
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 22:04:36 »

Newquay is still on Intercity maps. FGW (First Great Western) and Cross Country.
I don't remeber Falmouth getting an Intercity service or Barnstaple.
And it is a long time since St.Ives had an Intercity service.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 22:22:21 »

Falmouth had a fridays only Padd service until 1979, I believe Barnstaple used to have a couple of Waterloo services? the "Cornish Riviera" used to go to St Ives on summer saturdays until about 1961, Newquay still gets Summer HST (High Speed Train) services 7 days per week in peak summer, Fort William still has an intercity service, the 1950 sleeper to Euston and 2115 Euston to Fort william.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 19:45:27 »

Falmouth had a fridays only Padd service until 1979, I believe Barnstaple used to have a couple of Waterloo services? the "Cornish Riviera" used to go to St Ives on summer saturdays until about 1961, Newquay still gets Summer HST (High Speed Train) services 7 days per week in peak summer, Fort William still has an intercity service, the 1950 sleeper to Euston and 2115 Euston to Fort william.

Hmmm, I don't really class the sleeper as InterCity.....

Some of the above are since the days of steam.
laird
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 20:01:52 »

Fort William has only ever been on the Intercity route map as a result of sleeper services, it is always interesting to look at how Fort William is connected on the route map to the West Coast Mainline sometimes via Glasgow Central and at other times via Glasgow Queen Street.
Sadly the sleeper route map has shrunk far more than the intercity map over many years.
I seem to recall Sleepers were marketed as "Intercity" after the name dissappeared from most day stock.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 00:10:40 »

Sleepers are well and truely intercity! what else are they, commuter trains?HuhHuhHuh?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 18:14:14 »

Sleepers are well and truely intercity! what else are they, commuter trains?HuhHuhHuh?

Well, they are ...... um....... sleeper trains of course! Tongue
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: