22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 10:41:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] access for all at Devon stations report
[125] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[36] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[22] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[15] Cornish delays
[14] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: London-West Timetable  (Read 26877 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2008, 19:35:53 »

There is a turn around facility at Bedwyn
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 21:32:13 »

How long will it take a HST (High Speed Train) to do Westbury-Frome and Frome-Castle Cary and returns.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2008, 04:03:11 »

NSE (Network South East) stops at Bedwyn because, well, NSE trains terminate there!

Exeter is on the map because Network South East operated there frequently.

As for Birmingham/Worcester, I think the official reason was that they were considered too far north.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 10:53:58 »

How long will it take a HST (High Speed Train) to do Westbury-Frome and Frome-Castle Cary and returns.

Westbury - Frome is about 10 minutes, as is Frome-Castle Cary
walrusthefirst

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2008, 15:37:39 »

Why do Plymouth services stop at Pewsy, Westbury and Castle Cary?

Hardly InterCity stations!

I can understand Exeter - London HSTs (High Speed Train) stopping.

Edit by Conner: This thread has been spilt and is for discussions on the London-West timetable and calling points.

Shut up!

Firstly learn to spell pewsey;

Pewsey has always been an intercity station, which I and hundreds of others use to get to london and the west country even as far as Cornwall.

Westbury and castle cary are always well used stations for intercity trains.

So these stops dont make a lot of difference to Plymouth services but pick up a number of passengers. You dont have a clue what ur banging on about.

Edit by GrahamE as administrator at 07:00 on 13th May. The above has been reported to the moderator team as a personal attack on another member.  I have asked the poster to modify this post and make other amends, but I got no response in the time given.   Most unusually (and with great regret) I have been left with little choice but to suspend the posting rights of this member.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:58:55 by grahame » Logged
walrusthefirst

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2008, 15:39:23 »

Westbury and stations (espec Pewsey) were always Intercity stations, to my knowledge.

Pewsey has always been an Intercity station too.
Conner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2008, 15:43:54 »

walrusthefirst, I agree with you and the timetable I am producing has incoporated many Pewsey, Castle Cary and Westbury stops to serve a large range of destination.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2008, 18:42:25 »

Why do Plymouth services stop at Pewsy, Westbury and Castle Cary?

Hardly InterCity stations!

I can understand Exeter - London HSTs (High Speed Train) stopping.

Edit by Conner: This thread has been spilt and is for discussions on the London-West timetable and calling points.

Shut up!

Firstly learn to spell pewsey;

Pewsey has always been an intercity station, which I and hundreds of others use to get to london and the west country even as far as Cornwall.

Westbury and castle cary are always well used stations for intercity trains.

So these stops dont make a lot of difference to Plymouth services but pick up a number of passengers. You dont have a clue what ur banging on about.

I would appreciate it if you were not as rude. Angry I am not familiar with this area - nor do I attempt to be.

*That's why some spellings may be wrong (although I do know how to spell Pewsey - it was a typo Wink)
*That's why I did not realise that they were InterCity stations.

I have, by other friendly posts, learnt about the situation, and therefore my opinion has changed! I now understand why the calls are there.

So please think twice before personally attacking me again. The FGW (First Great Western) area is large and "diverse" in services (if that's the best word). Most forum members know this.

Regards, Btline
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2008, 07:14:10 »

In my view too, the post by walrusthefirst was well out of order, and that view is shared by the rest of the moderator team.  Walrusthefirst was asked to modify his post and make other appropriate amends within a certain amount of time, but failed to do so (or respond in any other way) within that time given, so his account has been suspended from posting for an indefinite period - read "for ever" if I never hear back.

It is with deep regret that such action was taken, and it's very unusual indeed for such a step to be necessary here; I think it's the first time I have ever written a post like this on "The Coffeeshop". However, the administrators (and I as site owner in particular) have some legal and moral obligations ... so let this be a reminder that we'll act if we have to.  Since the transgressing post has been quoted back in a later thread, admirably and by the member attacked, I have left the original in situ so that all members can read back through the full history.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Conner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2008, 07:49:29 »

I would just like to follow up a little bit aswell to point it back on topic.

My timetable is coming on nicely and I will be publishing it hopefully soon.

I would appreciate it if any further posts on this topic our on topic.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2008, 10:51:32 »

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Pewsey was an NSE (Network South East) station for a while as NSE used to run on to westbury, and if you look at the colour scheme at the station it is in NSE blue.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2008, 16:20:20 »

In my view too, the post by walrusthefirst was well out of order, and that view is shared by the rest of the moderator team.  Walrusthefirst was asked to modify his post and make other appropriate amends within a certain amount of time, but failed to do so (or respond in any other way) within that time given, so his account has been suspended from posting for an indefinite period - read "for ever" if I never hear back.

It is with deep regret that such action was taken, and it's very unusual indeed for such a step to be necessary here; I think it's the first time I have ever written a post like this on "The Coffeeshop". However, the administrators (and I as site owner in particular) have some legal and moral obligations ... so let this be a reminder that we'll act if we have to.  Since the transgressing post has been quoted back in a later thread, admirably and by the member attacked, I have left the original in situ so that all members can read back through the full history.

Perhaps he is on holiday........

I believe he actually had a valid point, and perhaps worded it harshly!

Edit by Grahame to add On the "railway" side, a valid point perhaps. On the "personal" side it was way out of order.  He has got back with me and stands by his attitude, suggesting that it was mild compared to his norm. On that basis, I have removed posting rights from his account.  Please excuse me adding this on to the end of your post - I really don't want to take the thread off topic any more!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 07:22:52 by grahame » Logged
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2008, 16:40:24 »

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Pewsey was an NSE (Network South East) station for a while as NSE used to run on to westbury, and if you look at the colour scheme at the station it is in NSE blue.

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) NSE services never ran beyond Bedwyn, it is possible that BR (British Rail(ways)) ran NSE stock on Peak services to/from Westbury, prehaps Westbury is still painted in the old BR Provincal colours.

NB: When BR was sectorized, Pewsey had to be an Inter-City station (or a closed station) as only Inter-City services passed through, same as in the case of Lockerbie.

Also IIRC Cheltenham Spa was originally an Inter-City station, however it WAS the only station operated by Inter-City Cross Country so to close a small problem Cheltenham Spa was transfered to South Wales & West ready for the big  BR sell off, (some might call it RIP OFF).
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2008, 17:56:05 »

Perhaps he is on holiday........

I believe he actually had a valid point, and perhaps worded it harshly!

D/m:

They would have had a valid point, had s(he) made it earlier. As I said before, I misunderstood the type of services running in that region and assumed that Pewsey would have additional local services. Just to clarify: I now can see that Pewsey is an InterCity station and needs  HSTs (High Speed Train)/180s. In fact, why not give them more?

And the spelling I have already explained.

------------

Back on topic: i was wondering why have not put in a reversal at Pewsey and extend the "NSE (Network South East)" service to there. I suppose:

*a - not enough Thames Turbos Roll Eyes
*b - Pewsey is more of a P&R (Park and Ride) station for long distance London travel

Any ideas?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2008, 07:32:54 »

I've used Pewsey - sporadically - over the years. I was even there in the late '60s early '70s when it had just 2 trains a day each way.  And I have seen it grow.  Yes, major traffic is London; yes, mostly park and ride (I've had trouble getting in to the car park at all) and it's good to see a healthy number of people boarding.  The catchment area is huge (geographically) and with a fast and regular/reasonably frequent London service and more parking I would expect it to continue to flourish.  I'll leave others to put specifics to "fast" and "frequent"  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: