Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 03:58:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Advent Quiz - December 2022  (Read 8818 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2022, 14:04:49 »

Today's picture: Athlone?

Yes, it .... trains are not frequent, but when they run they really do connect.   

At 09:05 on  25th October, a Galway to Dublin train crosses the morning Dublin to Galway service. To the left is the connection to Westport, which offers a further connection at Manulla Junction from and to Ballina.

The station at Athlone has a marvellous display of "then and now" photographs, showing just how much has changed over the years in Ireland.  I recognise two of them - the others *are* labelled there, and of course members here are welcome to supply labels.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2022, 05:56:30 »

17th December 2022 ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2022, 08:14:02 »

Chester [General] I believe.

A fine Roman city, subsequently modernised but still a fine city.  The amphitheatre has been carefully excavated and it's well presented - standing inside the arena I got a good feel for what it would have been like in Roman times.

I like the station frontage, but I admit I found the platform side confusing - it doesn't have the simple layout of say Reading.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2022, 08:27:00 »

17th December 2022 ...

Brighton

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2022, 10:13:14 »

Yes, it is Brighton (sorry - not Chester) - taken last summer after the demise of GWR (Great Western Railway) services there - start of a memorable struggle back west at the time of day that there used to be a through train via West Wilts.   Every cloud has a silver lining and I got a whole load of extra pictures of along the way, including Barnham because the train that was supposed to be going as far as Southampton got diverted to Bognor Regis ...

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2022, 16:23:40 »

Lovely independent cafe on Barnham station. Last time I was down that way I had time between connections for a coffee (proper mug) and sausage bap. Finn got a sausage too, gratis.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2022, 09:05:07 »

An ode to the managers at the major bus companies ...

"Where have all the buses gone?
Long time passing.
Where have all the buses gone?
Long time ago.
Where have all the buses gone?
The staff have left almost every one.
Oh, When will they ever learn?
Oh, When will they ever learn?"

Advent quiz picture for today, 18th December 2022

This is what I originally had planned for today ... call it "extra" now

PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2022, 09:17:16 »

Well, if it's not Chester it could be Brighton and Volk's Electric Railway.

I remember my parents taking me on a day trip to Brighton on a Bank Holiday Monday in the 1960s.  A 54 bus to East Croydon then an crowded extra train of 4-SUBs that had been rustled up to supplement the posh new 4-CIGs that one usually got.  No toilets and less comfortable, but they got us there.

We walked on the shingle beach, but didn't travel on Volk's railway.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2022, 10:37:29 »

Well, they're not buses they are coaches, they are not British, and they are not out of service they are parked on the Cruisepier Zeebrugge on Friday with drivers in attendance. I guess they are waiting to take Iona's passengers on day trips - and from any other ships in that day too (I can see one in the background berthed on the other side of the pier).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2022, 10:51:29 »

Well, they're not buses they are coaches, they are not British, and they are not out of service they are parked on the Cruisepier Zeebrugge on Friday with drivers in attendance. I guess they are waiting to take Iona's passengers on day trips - and from any other ships in that day too (I can see one in the background berthed on the other side of the pier).

You are correct - I count 32 in that picture, but I have cropped it and there were perhaps twice that number present. I am struck by the ability of Carnival / P&O Cruises to call up so many coaches or buses when there are such shortages - primarily we are told drivers - here in the UK (United Kingdom).  These were all for just the one (big) ship with around 5,600 people on board. 

Back into Southampton yesterday morning, there is no similar massing of coaches on the dockside as (being end of cruise) everyone is headed off in their own direction.  We used a taxi (short hop) to the station before the main crowds left the ship and I only saw one other couple off the ship at any point later in the journey - changing trains like we did at Reading to head out west.  There ARE cruise operated coaches headed for opposite corners of Great Britain, but the majority of people tend to have their cars parked at Southampton for the week. Chatting with people from places like Middlesbrough who weren't expecting to be home until the evening.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2022, 12:59:36 »

Is the extra Hayling Island? 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2022, 13:39:32 »

... it could be Brighton and Volk's Electric Railway. ...

Is the extra Hayling Island? 

It's the Volk Electric Railway in Brighton - probably the oldest electric railway in the world?   Lee and I took a ride (part of the way because it was only partly open) when we were in Brighton looking at electric buses there in May.  A very interesting 3rd rail system, with an offset electric rail between the other two.  This particular section had been out of use for a while, while promenade work was being carried out, but it was just coming back into use and a few minutes after I took this picture, we watched them plugging in the electtic to the third rail at the central depot and the first car leave for the east end of the line.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2022, 05:38:22 »

What, where, when - 19th December 2022

Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2022, 07:25:23 »

This looks like one of those 'Inclined Lifts' (?AKA (also known as) An escalator with doors) which I recall reading were going to be installed at a number of Elizabeth Line stations in Central London. I will therefore guess Farringdon.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2022, 07:33:00 »

This looks like one of those 'Inclined Lifts' (?AKA (also known as) An escalator with doors) which I recall reading were going to be installed at a number of Elizabeth Line stations in Central London. I will therefore guess Farringdon.

Close but not quite hitting the bull with your guess.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: