Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:50:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Advent Quiz - December 2022  (Read 8783 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2022, 07:31:12 »

13th December 2022 ...

Still not identified - I have been able to check and I'm pretty sure it is NOT Liskeard, though that is a quite close. 

For today - any ideas on this one?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2022, 08:29:46 »

It's not Liskeard due the railings outside the window; it's Menheniot.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2022, 08:36:54 »

Somewhere in France - after downloading and enlarging the picture I can see the sign says ACCES PARK... and Carref... - which is a French supermarket chain.

I was wondering about the small grey boxes next to the rails just inside the four-foot: are they perhaps axle counters?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2022, 08:52:52 »

It's not Liskeard due the railings outside the window; it's Menheniot.

Yep, that's what I had it noted as as too.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2022, 10:27:20 »

I was wondering about the small grey boxes next to the rails just inside the four-foot: are they perhaps axle counters?

Yes, sort of - we'd probably call them treadles, especially as those are gong to be there to control the level crossing from which the picture was taken.

I happen to have a few pictures of them: one of the twin kind that I think were an early form of axle counter used for block signalling (and they still are), and one of a pair of the single ones used for level crossings, complete with a couple of contractors' men trying to work out which wire goes where.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2022, 11:02:28 »

Somewhere in France -

Quite likely, a lot of "ouids" by the track  Smiley
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2022, 11:31:46 »

That's Carrefour Cherbourg. It's very close to the station, since land in the old port area isn't expensive.

That railway track is surprisingly well kept, given this is the land of decrepit goods lines that are unused but still part of the network. And it is unused: you can follow it past the ferry terminal, and on a loop round the wind turbine blade factory that goes down to the beach for a paddle, and there's no rolling stock parked anywhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2022, 14:21:41 »

That's Carrefour Cherbourg. It's very close to the station, since land in the old port area isn't expensive.

That railway track is surprisingly well kept, given this is the land of decrepit goods lines that are unused but still part of the network. And it is unused: you can follow it past the ferry terminal, and on a loop round the wind turbine blade factory that goes down to the beach for a paddle, and there's no rolling stock parked anywhere.

Yes, it IS Cherbourg - on the walk from the (current) railway station to the Portsmouth Ferry.  When I took the picture (October), the track was disconnected just past the station where it crossed the road so trains couldn't have got through even if they wanted to.  Unclear to me if the disconnection is permanent, or whether it was maintenance / renewal going on - that latter feels over-optimistic.   

As in so many other ports, the public transport / foot traffic to the ferry is not great, with the change being a bit of a pain - a half hour walk, then the world's most decrepit bus to transfer passengers on .... followed by the reverse at Portsmouth of having to wait for an old bus once all the VIPs (car passengers) have left, a ride across the yard to the immigration hall, a queue there with more passport checks and questions than there were in the past, and another half hour walk to Portmouth and Southsea ... over an hour from docking on time to being at the station.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2022, 16:06:12 »

I guess my "well kept track" probably just means it was last relaid within the last fifty years. But like most of the big passenger ports of the past it has lost its gare maritime, at least as a station. At Cherbourg its shell is still there, and a stonking great big thing it is too. The new one is of course there primarily to serve the town.

In St Malo (which I know better) the old (much older) station was demolished less than twenty years ago, after a new one was built just outside it. In its place is now a "Pôle culturel et Bâtiment éco-Responsable.".

As for Caen - the current ferry port has lost nothing, as Ouistreham never had a railway. While Wikipedia says there is a port for cruises up the Orne canal I wonder how big a ship could get there.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2022, 05:29:55 »

And for 15th December ...

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2022, 07:18:58 »

Holyhead.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2022, 04:18:12 »

Holyhead.

Yes, yesterday's picture was indeed Holyhead.  For today:

rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2022, 06:36:55 »

Going back to the Cherbourg picture - this is the line that will be used by the new daily Cherbourg - Bayonne 'motorway' service planned for unaccompanied trailers off the ferries. The latest snag is that intermediate sections of the route in the Le Mans area may not be robust enough for the planned train weights. Time - lots of it - will tell.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2022, 07:21:48 »

Going back to the Cherbourg picture - this is the line that will be used by the new daily Cherbourg - Bayonne 'motorway' service planned for unaccompanied trailers off the ferries. The latest snag is that intermediate sections of the route in the Le Mans area may not be robust enough for the planned train weights. Time - lots of it - will tell.

Good to hear of those plans - makes sense to do that

Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2022, 12:40:01 »

Today's picture: Athlone?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: