26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 21:25:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Not Glastonbury  (Read 5146 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 25, 2023, 07:17:13 »

So - final day of travelling around - from other threads readers will already know many of these

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 11:47:45 »

Last one is Poole.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 16:34:09 »

Melksham
Yeovil Pen Mill
Weymouth station the old excursion platforms, now the main ones.
Weymouth quay by the Nothe fort
Hamworthy station
Hamworthy Quay
Poole station
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 11:53:44 »

Melksham
Yeovil Pen Mill
Weymouth station the old excursion platforms, now the main ones.
Weymouth quay by the Nothe fort
Hamworthy station
Hamworthy Quay
Poole station

Spot on.

Tomorrow I will be seeing people off from Melksham to Weymouth but not travelling all the way. We have a further guest arriving from Ukraine and I'll be at Bristol Airport to greet her - exceptionally, this is a "drive" trip; there will be several of us going to greet her, and after a flight to a new country, only having a few words of the language, and potentially with luggage, it makes sense.   Having the car gives us flexibility too.

I have not written so much about the Ukrainian situation on here of late.  And to some extent is has passed out of the headlines.  The initial flood of refugees is over, and I don't know our new arrival's story yet - not that I would shout it here as it would be recognisable.   But I did meet another couple and their recently arrived guest in Trowbridge earlier this week.     She lived in Luhansk prior to the war - Ukrainian but in "bandit territory" if you would like to call it that, and she fled ... to Bucha ... where in the aftermath of atrocities, anyone coming from the east of Ukraine has been regarded with at least an element of suspicion and that just became too much.   She's now in Wiltshire - lovely person, well qualified ... knows she cannot visit her parents in Luhansk for the foreseeable future.

I am not one for fly-posting.  But a poster in Weymouth last Saturday was promoting a protest against the mooring of a floating accommodation unit in Portland Harbour for asylum seekers while their cases are considered.  There is considerable concern about these people being housed in there, with the effect of 500 people on the local health and welfare systems, communities, security etc.; in my view, understandable but misguided and had I been there tomorrow I would have been tempted to watch in support or join the protest, calling for these people to be treated for what they are - people.  One of my regrets is that, prior to the Ukrainian situation,  there was no opportunity to help, and that even now it is iimited to just that country.   I don't know what the solution is, but is is not to park barges in Portland Harbour to put people on for years while their cases are looked into,  nor is it to ship them - already vulnerable - off to Africa.  Clearly, a solution needs to dissuade people from having their lives risked crossing dangerous waters, and dissuading people from profiting from their misery by human trafficking - but the solution is not to compound that misery by making them wait for three years, floating in a town where they are not comfortable.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 11:59:51 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: