Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
16:56 Exmouth to Paignton
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
17:23 Exmouth to Exeter St Davids
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
15:47 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
15:51 Paignton to Exmouth
16:14 Paignton to Exmouth
Delayed
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:53 London Paddington to Penzance
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
15:02 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 17:08:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[23] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[9] Cornish delays
[1] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Abbreviations - funny confusing or funny ha,ha  (Read 812 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 11, 2023, 08:55:35 »

There's nothing much else to indicate it, but clearly the first is a BOAT ....
By-way Open to All Traffic?

I wondered - you are probably right. As opposed to SHIP
Substandard Highway Impractical to Pass
... probably one for the "Lighter Side"

Do members have any (real, common parlance or just-made-up examples?)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 12:26:40 »

In environmental legislation there is a term BATNEEK which means Best Available Technology Not Entailing Excessive Cost.  However someone suggested the the what punters were providing was CATNAP  Cheapest Available Technology Narrowly Avoiding Prosecution. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 16:44:33 »

I have been asked about abbreviations that make up naughty words ...  are they allowed?   Good question; bear in mind we're a public forum and although we're mostly older, we can be read by the kiddies!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 17:14:25 »

My suggestion would be to list the thing in full & let us work out the abbreviation. That way no one gets in trouble
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 18:20:18 »

My suggestion would be to list the thing in full & let us work out the abbreviation. That way no one gets in trouble

I was at least one who asked the question of Graham. It would be rather obvious even if I just listed the thing in full. In view of Graham's comment, I will not list the statement in full nor will I the acronym.

However, a certain electronics superstore that is no longer with us decided to start up a team of advisors that visited customers in their own home to assist with setting up new technologies. They were so proud of this campaign that they plastered the campaign name on all of their vans as well as creating flyers. This team was descibed as the 'ultimate'.

If you still cannot work it out, I'll send you a PM!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 19:17:21 »

All this reminds me of a monologue by west country comedian/singer Fred Wedlock involving finding a brand name for a new household cleaning product which turned out to have unfortunate acronyms.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 20:13:41 »

I have been asked about abbreviations that make up naughty words ...  are they allowed?   Good question; bear in mind we're a public forum and although we're mostly older, we can be read by the kiddies!

You're not the first person to ponder that, and the questions recurs throughout history, from the very dawn of civilisation. In fact, scholars call it the first universal consideration known, but don't give it an abbreviation or acronym.

(See also johnneyw's post, and https://youtu.be/KxZnWSNswgA )

Now, please!
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 06:19:47 »

Often wondered what this meant
https://www.google.com/maps/place/FFS+Brands+Group/@51.4533518,-0.8958707,3a,48.1y,353.7h,89.31t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s66LNznxV05intEmbgi81Fg!2e0!5s20221101T000000!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D66LNznxV05intEmbgi81Fg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D121.73071%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x48768458c8de77c1:0x8d36828a3ec3e319!8m2!3d51.4536488!4d-0.8958971
Did not expect Catering Supplier
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 13:54:13 »

A recent post by a member suggested he was going to a concert in a Brake Second Open, but I think it turned out to be some Symphony Orchestra.

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2023, 18:41:41 »

Having been surprised on numerous occasions at just how many church organists are also bonkers about steam engines....and vice versa.....I think it must be the pipes....I would feel somewhat short changed to attend an organ recital given entirely on the Second Open Diapason..... Huh
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2023, 18:49:29 »

North Somerset DC (Direct Current) doesn't abbreviate well here, nor any other similar lower tier of local government. Fixing that could be tricky. Third rail doesn't go so fast with 750 Volt District Council.

Now, please!
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2023, 19:04:54 »

Some parents appear to be completely oblivious when naming their offspring. Many moons ago, when I was a Cub leader, I had a young lad whose full name was (his name has been changed here to comply with Data Protection, but the initials remain the same!)...... Brian Owen Gardner.

You can guess his nickname!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: