Delayed
15:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 16:29:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: High Speed Train Replacement  (Read 15237 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 18:19:23 »

I presume it won't have corridor connections at the front anyhow, besides, the 444 mould no longer exists so will be new  Smiley
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008, 18:36:10 »

Depends how traction is provided - I think its a safe bet that there will be some sort of through working.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008, 18:42:32 »

Cant see drivers supporting the use of stock with a corridor in their cab for a London-Penzance service!
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 18:45:34 »

I'd rather have a 444 than some foul old botched 153 that should be operating regional Bristol services and not BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to PNZ.
153's actually should be used on branchlines.
And 153's are more comfortable than 444's and more comfortable and nicer inside than a 150, the usual stock for BRI-PNZ.

Perhaps I just have a bad attitude toward them them, based upon bad experiences on them before. Have the refurbishments done them any justice?

Ahh, pre refurb they were shocking.
Quite nice now.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 18:47:02 »

I repeat - it depends on how traction is provided.

It could work on the basis of a power car system and therefore through corridor connections would be no real problem.

Remember that the front two thirds of a 23m coach when operating at 125mph has to be restricted access.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 18:57:21 »

Have one loco and one DVT(resolve) to allow the carriage of at least 6 bikes/3 tandems and luggage.

Fully automatic sliding plug doors that shut quickly - not like 158/Voyager plug doors which take forever!

A wide body on the Great Western version. Let's take advantge of what Brunel did and not end up with an extra thin train (like the Voyagers) just because there is a bridge/ platform clearance problem somewhere in Scotland.

Tilting to allow 140 mph - otherwise pointless in my opinion.

No SDO (Selective Door Opening)!

ALL platforms must be lengthened where possible to prevent the use of it. If you can't - tough luck (sorry Honeybourne Northbound- blame the planning depatment who let houses be built)!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008, 19:01:30 »

Have one loco and one DVT(resolve) to allow the carriage of at least 6 bikes/3 tandems and luggage.

Fully automatic sliding plug doors that shut quickly - not like 158/Voyager plug doors which take forever!

A wide body on the Great Western version. Let's take advantge of what Brunel did and not end up with an extra thin train (like the Voyagers) just because there is a bridge/ platform clearance problem somewhere in Scotland.

Tilting to allow 140 mph - otherwise pointless in my opinion.

No SDO (Selective Door Opening)!

ALL platforms must be lengthened where possible to prevent the use of it. If you can't - tough luck (sorry Honeybourne Northbound- blame the planning depatment who let houses be built)!

SDO is vital, especially if trains are longer. It simply is not practical to lengthen platforms. Tilting is pointless too as much of the high speed route is straight.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008, 19:02:45 »

Might as well build some 390s if you want tilt.

Besides, ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.) should be here soon....  Roll Eyes
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2008, 19:05:29 »

Besides, ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.) should be here soon....  Roll Eyes

Big windows please  Cheesy
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2008, 19:08:07 »

Big windows please  Cheesy

The windy bit in Devon could be sped up!

NO 390s - I want a better view than my luggage.
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2008, 10:14:39 »

What do we want on the replacement for the HST (High Speed Train)?

So we would like longer trains. (There is no need for them to be of a fixed formation allowing flexibility possibly from 2+7 to 2+10) In this case selective door opening is required but as they are likely to have power doors this should be easier for the guards and station staff.

How many carriages of first class? I would say 2-3 carriages of first class is sufficient if they are all table seats. In some countries first class on the train is airline seating on some trains with only a fold down table.

A restaurant car would be nice for the longer journeys, say if cross country trains ever rolled out the replacement HST e.g. on Penzance to Edinburgh, but a buffet car as a minimum

Paper reservation tickets as the electronic systems seem less reliable.

I would personally like to see displays showing the progress of the train in the vestibules linked to GPS. So that if you can't find a member of staff you will know where you are. Especially useful travelling back in the winter evenings. It could also be used to display messages about why the train is delayed.

The seats need to be comfortable for all passengers whether first class or standard class.

Conner I agree with you on the layout of the train. There are some good ideas being pushed around.

I do agree that the seats should try to be aligned with the windows. Do you think the windows should have blinds like the voyagers do?
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2008, 10:24:00 »

Well my HST2 would be like this formation wise:

Power Car-MTU (Motor Traction Unit) Engine, Bicycle and Luggage Store
Coach A-Quiet Class, Half Luggage Store and Train Managers Office with Inward Opening Slam Door, Quiet Zone, No Tables
Coach B-Standard Class, No Reservations, 5 Tables
Coach C-Standard Class, 2 Tables, 2 Disabled Tables and Spaces, Disabled Toilet
Coach D-Standard Class, 4 Tables
Coach E-Standard Class, 4 Tables
Coach F-Family and Friends Class, Half Coach Available for Reservation, Special Reservation System
Coach G-Restaurant Class, Buffet Area, Kitchen, First Class Seating, 8 Walk Up Tables for Dining
Coach H-First Class, All Tables
Coach I- Premier Class, Quiet Zone, No Tables Half has a First Class Service Area
Power Car-MTU Engine, Bicycle and Luggage Store

My formation would be to add another coach to the HST2 between coach F & G which is half standard class and the other half is the Buffet/Restaurant. This would allow coach G To be expanded with more first class seating and room for the restaurant service so it can serve more standard class customers.
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2008, 10:27:43 »

For the quiet coaches , I would like technology installed that prevents the phone from getting a signal.
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2008, 15:46:25 »

For the quiet coaches , I would like technology installed that prevents the phone from getting a signal.
You mean any Voyager coach!

No blinds on windows, very selfish people can put one down on an airline seat and you may not be able to see.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2008, 15:52:57 »

Most Voyager coaches have recently had a signal boosting technology installed...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: