29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 04:13:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 57
  Print  
Author Topic: 2023 - Train update and amendment log - Swindon <-> Westbury  (Read 68805 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2023, 12:30:04 »

The 08:44 from London Paddington to Plymouth was booked to operate via Melksham due to the engineering works on the Berks & Hants.  However it left London 17 minutes late due to crew issues.  That meant it was going to conflict with the TW service on the single line.

Thank you, Bob.  It would have been really nice if they had put a stop order in for Melksham, wouldn't it?   Not even an offer to source rail replacement road transport as far as I saw.   What's the speed limit for an IET (Intercity Express Train) through Melksham?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2023, 12:38:07 »

Just curious.
Would a 5 car IET (Intercity Express Train) be able to run perhaps Weymouth to Gloucester or Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff?
I believe there were bogie issues for HST (High Speed Train)? so guess the same could apply for IET's.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2023, 12:51:59 »

The 08:44 from London Paddington to Plymouth was booked to operate via Melksham due to the engineering works on the Berks & Hants.  However it left London 17 minutes late due to crew issues.  That meant it was going to conflict with the TW service on the single line.

Thank you, Bob.  It would have been really nice if they had put a stop order in for Melksham, wouldn't it?   Not even an offer to source rail replacement road transport as far as I saw.   What's the speed limit for an IET (Intercity Express Train) through Melksham?

There was an updated journeycheck message about taxis. 

70 towards Trowbridge, 40 towards Chippenham.

We have discussed this ad infinitum before. The Plymouth service was a nine car.  Two five cars would certainly have created an issue as it does at places like Hayle and Hungerford where people end up in the wrong half of the train even on regular services that call at short platforms.   

However the decision was taken pretty late to re-route the TW service - possibly to see how much time the Plymouth could make up between London and Swindon.   Even if stopping at Melksham was possible (I am still not sure that is programmed in) how much more of a delay would be incurred by transferring passengers from platform 2 to 4?  Station platforms were at a premium at that point with two trains to Paddington, one each to Swansea, Plymouth and Salisbury and a steam charter all in 15 minutes,
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2023, 12:56:18 »

Just curious.
Would a 5 car IET (Intercity Express Train) be able to run perhaps Weymouth to Gloucester or Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff?
I believe there were bogie issues for HST (High Speed Train)? so guess the same could apply for IET's.

The "IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) Network" as originally defined goes into SWR» (South Western Railway - about) territory for just two diversionary routes:
1. Castle Cary - Yeovil - Exeter, and
2. Reading - Waterloo (including via Kew Bridge).

I think that's all been proved, not that I've ever seen one passing through Wokingham. Some more bits could have been added, though I can't think why those would have been.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2023, 12:59:56 »

We have discussed this ad infinitum before. ...

Indeed.  It remains an issue that is not yet solved though!

How are the plans for an intermediate loop (which would also allow 2 trains to follow each other closer) coming along?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2023, 13:14:28 »

There is a lot of work going on looking at Westbury and its environs.

A station at Devizes Parkway needs a service - which could possibly be an extension of what used to be the London to Bedwyn service.

That once again raises the question of the fourth platform at Westbury.

Looking further afield more freight and a desire to have an hourly service on all directions in and out of Westbury puts pressure to improve the single line.  A lot of talk going on but nothing concrete to show as yet.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2023, 17:44:12 »

17:45 Swindon to Westbury due 18:28

17:45 Swindon to Westbury due 18:28 will be cancelled.
This is due to a fault on this train.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2023, 17:50:37 »

The incoming service (16:36 from Westbury) was delayed and then cancelled at Melksham.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2023, 20:40:57 »

17:45 Swindon to Westbury due 18:28

17:45 Swindon to Westbury due 18:28 will be cancelled.
This is due to a fault on this train.

16:44 London Paddington to Penzance due 22:27

16:44 London Paddington to Penzance due 22:27 will call additionally at Trowbridge.
It has been delayed between Swindon and Trowbridge and is now 20 minutes late.
This is due to the train making extra stops because a train was cancelled.

Good.   Called at Chippenham (say there quarter of an hour), One added (Trowbridge) just Melksham to go to a proper solution to the cancellation of the key Swindon to Westbury service of the day.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 20:56:02 by grahame » Logged

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2023, 20:50:51 »

Good.   One added (Trowbridge), two to go ...

Melksham and ?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2023, 21:00:41 »

Good.   One added (Trowbridge), two to go ...

Melksham and ?

Sorry - just checked back on Real Time Trains and edited my post.  Well done GWR (Great Western Railway) - it called at Swindon, Chippenham, Trowbridge and Westbury.   Just didn't go the whole hog and call at Melksham ...

I do hope we're not in for a pattern for the next fortnight of last minute missing out of Melksham, that tiny hamlet with some 25,000 residents.    I do read your earlier comment of "we've been there ad infinitum before"; we may have been, but we have not solved the issue for the passengers so the issue remains. Yes,  that is uncomfortable reading for GWR, the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and organisations accredited to them.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2023, 08:54:28 »

Well done GWR (Great Western Railway) - it called at Swindon, Chippenham, Trowbridge and Westbury.   Just didn't go the whole hog and call at Melksham ...

Without wishing to deny GWR praise, it was always booked to call at Chippenham.  Only the Trowbridge call was added to partly cover for the cancelled TW service.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2023, 10:57:32 »

Well done GWR (Great Western Railway) - it called at Swindon, Chippenham, Trowbridge and Westbury.   Just didn't go the whole hog and call at Melksham ...

Without wishing to deny GWR praise, it was always booked to call at Chippenham.  Only the Trowbridge call was added to partly cover for the cancelled TW service.

It's grand (and somewhat unfair) of me to criticise the operational stuff that happened on the day, but there are learning lessons here looking back as the data.  The problem started at

which reports as "This service was cancelled between Melksham and Swindon due to unknown cause (ZW)."
That was supposed to form the 17:45 back from Swindon

However, the Paddington to Penzance train stopped at Chippenham (unadvertised, please note!) and waited there, I suspect, while the broken down local train was cleared, before carrying on:

Much of its lateness was recovered during its onward journey - just 6 late by Penzance; not sure what other connections was lost on the way and whether it got in the way of anything, delaying other trains.

For comparison purposes, I grabbed the earlier diverted express in the other direction:

Now - I appreciate that delaying the 17:36 (Penzance) at platform 4 at Swindon while people come over from platform 2 from the late-cancelled Westbury all stations train might have held it up bit, but then it sat at Chippenham for quarter of an hour (hindsight marvellous) and I appreciate that other services were around at the time too.

Is the real solution - firstly, to see if the root cause (train breaking down) can be reduced, not that it's the most major trigger point and, secondly, not to overschedule but rather to put reliability in advanced timetable planning ahead of seeing how many trains can be squeezed though a bottleneck. 

If the 15:27 from Westbury to Paddington had been planned ahead to make the calls of the 16:35 all-stations train, with a timetabled 10-15 minute later arrival into Paddington perhaps, and those plans made well ahead of time, we would have a far more robust setup.   There was also a 17:30 Westbury to Paddington that could also have stopped, etc.   Yes - I do remember the days of HSTs (High Speed Train) calling at remote short platforms and the time taken.  I also know that how well done places like Avoncliff and Dilton Marsh are done on single door provided people now ahead of time, and that could be done at Melksham and perhaps Trowbridge (which is short), could it not?   In terms of passenger numbers involved being higher at Melksham - typically YES, though the arrival at Dilton Marsh at about 15:40 typically offloads dozens ...

It would make huge sense at times of disruption to have the regional trains call at all stations.  It would reduce congestion on the line and waits for the single line.  It would make the service more reliable - which is users's top request. It would make recovery from any disruption quicker. It would reduce interference with other lines while trains wait for the bottleneck.  And it would save GWR and the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) money by not having to (or trying to) run so many trains and rail replacement buses and taxis, and not have to pay out so much in delay-repay.  In fact, as a taxpayer, perhaps I should be demanding of my MP (Member of Parliament) that they act in the suggested cheaper way.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2023, 11:05:16 »

And how many travellers would have seen the extended journey time & gone by car?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2023, 12:51:12 »

And how many travellers would have seen the extended journey time & gone by car?

Good question.  Over 10 to 15 minutes, I suspect very few.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 57
  Print  

Jump to: