Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:29:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Watchdog takes Equality Act steps against government over rail access  (Read 498 times)
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2023, 10:23:55 »

Haven't seen if this has been put elsewhere:

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/watchdog-takes-equality-act-steps-against-government-over-rail-access/

As always will be interesting to see what, if anything, happens as a result.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 21:19:38 »

There's always the difficult equation of cost versus benefit. Which stations should have lifts, for example.

As I become older and more doddery, I prefer stairs to escalators and lifts (even decades ago I used to run up the emergency stairs at Lambeth North tube station), but perhaps in a few years' time I shall welcome lifts being available.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 22:43:16 »

There's always the difficult equation of cost versus benefit. Which stations should have lifts, for example.

An excellent question. What about these?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 06:57:32 »

I think the issue isn't just the hardware, but the software and the peopleware. It has been reported elsewhere the people with visual disabilities are particularly concerned. I have also seen examples of what might be thought of as "bloodymindedness" at staffed stations where station staff have stood there and watched the guard/train manager find a deploy the on-train ramp (of a standard train that runs through that station).

At risk of inciting trouble, what it needs is one of the disability groups to organise wheel chair users at every unmanned station on a DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) line and see what that does for the time keeping.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 07:25:46 »

An excellent question. What about these?

These are all valid restricted access stations, NR» (Network Rail - home page) and the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s have a programme to update station and train access agreed based on demand / usage with the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) and DfT» (Department for Transport - about) who are the Regulator and funder, the DfT also has influence over local authorities who one of the funders for upgrading station access.

I can see why the EHRC are raising their concerns with the ORR and DfT because these 2 control the money

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 07:49:19 »

The issue that EHCR is making though is staffing.  If there is a lift so that a wheelchair user can get to the platform, but they still cannot get on the train because there is no one to put a ramp in place then the lifts are a waste of money!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 09:05:28 »

The issue that EHCR is making though is staffing.  If there is a lift so that a wheelchair user can get to the platform, but they still cannot get on the train because there is no one to put a ramp in place then the lifts are a waste of money!

I stand corrected for going off on a side-topic.   Great fun looking at picture of step-only stations and wondering at what level alternatives should be provided - pictures ranging from Northolt (where I think something may be being done or has been done) through to Denton where on current service the cost per use would be eye-watering.

At risk of inciting trouble, what it needs is one of the disability groups to organise wheel chair users at every unmanned station on a DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) line and see what that does for the time keeping.

I'm in two minds about that.  With - let's say - an event for wheelchair users at the destination and maximised publicity. And I wonder about pre-publicity so that TOC (Train Operating Company) has the opportunity to deploy staff to mitigate delays?   

As an IT Training business, we were more than happy to train people in wheelchairs and with other limitations and on numerous occasions went out of our way to do so.  However, I also recall being very, very hurt when "tested" by an organisation who - well, let''s not mince words, lied about their requirement and had us make considerable changes / allowances at the most awkward point in our schedule, at considerable trouble to other delegates and at extra time and money cost ... just to admit at the last minute that "you passed our test - well done - but we have no intention of taking up the place".  I think we were supposed to be pleased that we had passed ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: