22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 12:39:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[191] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[114] access for all at Devon stations report
[75] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[46] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[13] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[9] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: XC HSTs beimg withdrawn in October 2023  (Read 1349 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: March 03, 2023, 17:05:24 »

Sad news….coinciding with GWR (Great Western Railway) Castle withdrawals, I’m hearing (currently on twitter today, but I’m sure it’ll hit the main media soon) that XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) are withdrawing their 5 HSTs (High Speed Train) in October. No additional stock, so the voyager fleet, already under strain from the May tietable change when Reading - Newcastle services return, will have to carry the passenger burden.

I suspect this’ll mean standing room only on Fridays, most Saturdays during football season at least, plus Sundays.

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) are askig for cuts too many it would seem
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 18:15:27 »

Wonder if they will get some of the Avanti class 220 or even 221 when they are replaced with class 800

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 20:32:31 »

Sad news but not unexpected. I must see if I can travel on one at some point before they are withdrawn in October.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 20:49:27 »

Wonder if they will get some of the Avanti class 220 or even 221 when they are replaced with class 800

Most likely not, a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) spokesperson states that as fewer people are traveling, there needs to be fewer trains. 
As will become even more common, the railway are sweating the assets.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 06:23:46 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) carried a lot of commuters,and I don't think it will will ever return to those levels we use to see Monday to Friday.

Leisure travel will and maybe already has increased to pre-covid levels as travellers who travel saturday and sundays only travel once or twice a year.

Compare that with the cross country routes,these are leisure travellers,and I can see these numbers increasing to higher levels as we dig our way out of covid.

So I can't see the logic that cross country numbers have fallen.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 10:26:28 »

So I can't see the logic that cross country numbers have fallen.

Also, Crosscountry went into the pandemic massively constrained, and long term, on both capacity and price of travel, with services hampered as their service patterns and fare structures are more attractive for local travellers rather than long distance.

Mark
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023, 11:13:06 »

That is because travellers have repeatedly requested additional stops for their services, including on this forum, rather than allowing to be a long-distance service provider (a la LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about), for example)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 11:37:46 by ChrisB » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2023, 17:41:23 »

I presume this is driven at least in part by the need to reduce cost base post pandemic and in the absence of the Unions agreeing to any changes or other methods of reducing cost.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2023, 19:21:24 »

Their budget as set by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) was given to them last year & has not been adjusted for inflation, so they are already 10% down owing to that. They have a 3 year budget, and there's no indication currently that any year will be adjusted either.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 13:40:50 »

So where will HSTs (High Speed Train) be running after October, if anywhere?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2023, 13:42:24 »

Scotland?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2023, 14:05:50 »

Yeah, plenty in Scotland still.  The end of regular 125mph running in passenger service though.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2023, 17:47:17 »

Thanks. I thought the Scottish ones had also been withdrawn (due to rust?) but obviously not.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2023, 14:13:47 »

That is because travellers have repeatedly requested additional stops for their services, including on this forum, rather than allowing to be a long-distance service provider (a la LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about), for example)
During the pandemic, XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) removed the majority of calls at Winchester and Brockenhurst, as well as reducing services to 2 hourly.  I believe the idea was to make XC travel more of a planned activity, with short distance flows such as Bournemouth to Brockenhurst being forced onto the local operator, SWR» (South Western Railway - about). Which makes a certain amount of sense, as during the peaks they (SWR) would normally be running up to 10 or 12 car EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) on the same route. 

I don’t think XC should be considered as part of the turn up and go offering for 15 minute journeys.  But clearly that’s what many people want it to be.

Paul
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2023, 14:21:30 »

There are areas where there isn't much option - eg Banbury - Oxford. There are just 8 local services a *day* run by GWR (Great Western Railway), while XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) was offering 2 an hour, every hour pre-pandemic. So which do you suspect commuters & others use? Yep.

BUT there are many more areas where you are correct - and should have their stop removed. XC was always designed as a long-distance service provider, but the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)/ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) should be insisting on the relevant operator in their area provide ALL the local service options.

Far too late now, as the current service can't live within the realms of sensible costs, never mind increasing them.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: