Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 05:01:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Bridge, Nuneham: southern abutment failure  (Read 30329 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2023, 19:02:00 »

An informative short discussion and a couple of images from 11 months back here on Linkedin (which will try and persuade the visitor to create an account/log in etc...) & kindly flagged by Hamish Harvey on Twitter.

Some evidence that the bridge deck is/was managing to push the tops of the wing walls out - and then also the wing walls showing signs that the pier was sinking/moving.

Mark

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/simon-deakin-woods-718aa2107_xeiad-networkrail-isar3-activity-6934582807071506432-dl3M/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2023, 09:34:19 »

An informative short discussion and a couple of images from 11 months back here on Linkedin (which will try and persuade the visitor to create an account/log in etc...) & kindly flagged by Hamish Harvey on Twitter.

Some evidence that the bridge deck is/was managing to push the tops of the wing walls out - and then also the wing walls showing signs that the pier was sinking/moving.

Mark

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/simon-deakin-woods-718aa2107_xeiad-networkrail-isar3-activity-6934582807071506432-dl3M/

Does rather beg the question - how on Earth did Network Rail allow it to get into this state before action was taken given that the damage had already been noted and these pictures are almost a year old and even then showed some pretty dramatic issues?

I also saw Paul Clifton's pictures on Twitter - most alarming.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2023, 09:45:42 »

In short without borehole data I would not like to make a judgement about what is going on in the superficial layers (which might go quite deep). 

I am a geologist, and I agree with you.

I too suspect the failure of wooden piles to account for the recent rapid movement.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2023, 09:54:47 »

Mark

Does rather beg the question - how on Earth did Network Rail allow it to get into this state before action was taken given that the damage had already been noted and these pictures are almost a year old and even then showed some pretty dramatic issues?

I also saw Paul Clifton's pictures on Twitter - most alarming.

I am absolutely certain Network Rail Wales and Western Region Structures Asset Management team had a plan.  It is entirely plausible the subsidence has accelerated faster than they anticipated, yes the state of this abutment has been known about, there are quite a number of things that perhaps needed to be resoulved, like Environment Agency approvals for river access, land owner access (for site access) railway possessions / blockades; not to mention the design of the solution.  

NR» (Network Rail - home page) Assets teams are not large in numbers of people, they are reliant on contractors who are managed by the Capital or Works Delivery organisations.  It could be argued why NR does not have own in-house expertise to do all this, its down to how the railways were privatised and the governance placed on it by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2023, 10:16:02 »

As discussed elsewhere there are other (probably many other) structures that appear long overdue for maintenance. I wouldn’t want the job of trying to guess which one was going to cause problems next…

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2023, 10:33:51 »

As discussed elsewhere there are other (probably many other) structures that appear long overdue for maintenance. I wouldn’t want the job of trying to guess which one was going to cause problems next…

Quote from a driver (with respect to Paul Clifton's pictures) "it’s looked pretty much like that for the last few months, with a steadily reducing speed restriction (90-50-20-5)"

Here's the view from space............
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2023, 11:04:11 »

Here's the view from space............

I think somebody has attached a comedy ‘hall of mirrors’ lens to that camera.

This is what it looked like three weeks ago without distortion from above or foreshortening from a telephoto lens.  Rather less dramatic.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2023, 11:10:28 »

For the record, JourneyCheck has added a week since I last looked ...
Due to urgent repairs to a bridge between Didcot Parkway and Oxford the line is closed. Disruption is expected until the end of the day on 30/04/23.
but still misses the extra text on the end "and probably for some time beyond".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2023, 18:22:42 »

There’s an Environment Agency closure notice for the southern span, lasts for a month, it mentions a pontoon will be present under the bridge, navigation limited to the northern span:

This restriction is for initial works to be taken under the south railway arch prior to further bridge repairs, during the overall repair of the bridge abutment.

During this time there will be a restricted river under the southern arch of the railway bridge. Caution is to be taken by boat masters when travelling via northern arch route, as this will be two-way traffic, and masters must take note of any instructions given by staff as to navigation past this point.

A pontoon will be moved into position to enable works to be taken from beneath the railway bridge in the channel. This will completely obstruct the southern arch during works. Subsequently the pontoon will be removed to a safe mooring when work is finished.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nuneham-railway-viaduct-repairs-2023-river-restriction-notice/nuneham-railway-viaduct-repairs-2023-river-restriction-notice

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2023, 18:49:40 »

This is what it looked like three weeks ago without distortion from above or foreshortening from a telephoto lens.  Rather less dramatic.

That depends what you were looking for. In terms of estimating the vertical movement since (1) the bridge was built and (2) whenever the track was last levelled, there is not so much difference. I make the first answer about half a metre, and the second at least 10 cm (but neither is meant to be closer than +/- 30% at best).

Presumably Simon Deakin-Woods' picture, of 10 months ago, was before that last visit from a stone-blower, and I'll be returning to what that shows shortly.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2023, 19:46:18 »

This picture was in the Oxford Mail, but credited to Network Rail.

It shows two "long-range stone-suckers", and the pipes lead to one of those vacuum excavation trucks. Deballasting isn't really evidence of what the planned work is, as it's the first step in most possible plans.

There's another picture of just to the right of that, in railforums, that can be compared with the one we had from Linked-In.

You can't see much of the wing wall (shown by the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) or in post #63), but you can see a steep slope down in the top of the embankment. The abutment's movement has led to shear strain in the soil over about three metres.

One the right, the "bearing" block sits on the abutment wall, while at the other side there is a column of brickwork so the bearing sits forward of the wall. That must be to do with the skew of the bridge; my guess is that the abutment wall turned out to be not parallel to the mid-river pier, and this gets over that problem. The size of that column does suggest that supporting the weight of the bridge was not a big deal, for the 1906 designers.

The left wing wall has failed in shear, but the vertical movement across it is less than two courses (20 cm) so well short of the full distance. But a lot of the outer half has been patched or even rebuilt. So I wonder if that got so bad that major reconstruction was needed, and more than once. When the brickwork is intact, with good strong mortar and engineering bricks, it can provide significant support to the abutment. Once it fails it can't, so that may be one reason for the "sudden" burst of subsidence recently.

If flooding is relevant, then like ellendune I don't see how that can have much impact under the abutment (and below the water table). Surely it is the embankment that is likely to be destabilised most by a thorough soaking. And it does take significant shear stress to produce the observed shear strain in settled soil, which is another upward supporting force for the abutment. Soggy soil is more mobile, so a lot of the supporting force disappears. In combination, the total reduction in upward force could explain the extra and rapid subsidence recently.

Incidentally, what looks like horizontal shear between the brick courses isn't due to any extra cause, it's just how shear works. The internal bricks feel much the same forces whether the shear is applied to the sides or the top and bottom. There's a more complicated, and rigorous, explanation of all this but it means resorting to tensors ...
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2023, 21:00:40 »

At least with bricks, it is simple shear  Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2023, 15:48:01 »

The Independent

Engineers have spent the weekend examining the structure and, on Easter Monday morning, Network Rail announced: “Disruption between Reading and Oxford is expected until at least the end of the day on Wednesday 31 May.”

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2023, 16:21:29 »

The Independent

Engineers have spent the weekend examining the structure and, on Easter Monday morning, Network Rail announced: “Disruption between Reading and Oxford is expected until at least the end of the day on Wednesday 31 May.”

The Independent seems to have misunderstood what "a lot of movement" in the bridge means:
Main rail line to close until June due to a wobbly bridge

Passengers between the north of England and the South Coast are being advised to travel via Bristol or London instead
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2023, 17:38:40 »

National Rail Enquires now saying 9th June.

Disruption between Reading and Oxford is expected until at least the end of the day on Friday 9 June.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: