07:27 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Delayed
05:23 Westbury to Salisbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 05:42:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Bridge, Nuneham: southern abutment failure  (Read 30342 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 21, 2023, 20:57:29 »

How do you pile into the bed of a river anyway? It may be closed, but the water is still there, and I've seen no mention of a coffer dam. In this case, would you use very long piles (joined if need be) so the tops are above water - and have to cut them down to free the river for reopening? Or would you drive the piles flush with the river bed, using a suitable piling hammer (which I see are standard pieces of kit), and bolt on the trestle underwater?

Putting them in is perhaps not a problem the river bed and clay will seal the pile ............... I would think its the pulling them out and leaving a space where the pile wall was  Shocked 

Although the water table will be quite high and the space will soon seal by collapsing .................. or just bank them all the way home when finished with

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2023, 17:05:02 »

Paul Clifton’s piece for Rail magazine has a very intresting snippet.

GWR (Great Western Railway) tell him that since the pandemic, there are just 112 season ticket holders from Oxford. And around just 1,500 peak passengers on most days.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 22, 2023, 17:59:13 »

That's surprising, thanks for this.

Looking up the cost on Trainline*, for an annual season ticket, Oxford to London Terminals, any permitted route, that's currently £6096 to Paddington, or somewhat under £17 per day (both the cost and the daily rate might also surprise many people). Add a zone 1-6 travelcard and the price goes up by around £1000.

Speaking with someone who lives there, the Oxford Tube does commuter heavy lifting, especially given the geography of the city, and with an annual pass coming in at £1395.

Mark

*National Rail's season ticket calculator is currently horked.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2023, 19:25:21 »

Plus some of those season ticket holders will have always been travelling from Didcot as the season from there is the same price so you might as well get the Oxford one for the wider validity.

The question might be how many or few of those are first class. Southeastern justified in part dropping first class as they only had 28 first class seasons across their whole network.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #169 on: April 22, 2023, 19:39:01 »

So most if not all Didvmcot season holders would hold an Oxford season according to your suggestion. Ther’s still only 112?if these in *total*
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 22, 2023, 20:31:10 »

Is there a season cheaper via High Wycombe only? If so, I imagine there are a lot more OXF» (Oxford - next trains)-LON seasons.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #171 on: April 22, 2023, 21:05:39 »

Is there a season cheaper via High Wycombe only? If so, I imagine there are a lot more OXF» (Oxford - next trains)-LON seasons.

According to BR (British Rail(ways)) Fares, no ... virtually everything is "any permitted". I suspect there may have been some sort of agreement as Chiltern were allowed to enter Oxford that they would not undercut GWR (Great Western Railway)?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 22, 2023, 21:45:09 »

According to BR (British Rail(ways)) Fares, no ... virtually everything is "any permitted". I suspect there may have been some sort of agreement as Chiltern were allowed to enter Oxford that they would not undercut GWR (Great Western Railway)?

Wouldn't that be illegal as anti-competitive behaviour.  I thought the whole idea of competing services was to introduce competition!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 22, 2023, 21:49:45 »

Paul Clifton’s piece for Rail magazine has a very intresting snippet.

GWR (Great Western Railway) tell him that since the pandemic, there are just 112 season ticket holders from Oxford. And around just 1,500 peak passengers on most days.

Could that be because longer distance commuters are much less likely to go into the office 5 days a week. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #174 on: April 23, 2023, 05:57:29 »

Wouldn't that be illegal as anti-competitive behaviour.  I thought the whole idea of competing services was to introduce competition!

Indeed ... but then isn't the idea of regulated fares to ... well, interfere with aspects of competition, and I suspect that many of the fares available are regulated.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2023, 12:29:31 »

It looks like fares from Bicester (set by Chiltern) aren't much less, so by providing a cheaper Oxford via HW fare they'd be undercutting their own fares further up the line.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2023, 08:12:11 »

An update with a video from Paul Clifton of the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) on Twitter:

The video shows clusters of piles in the river either side of the bridge.  So they weren't driven under the bridge. 

Screen grab below

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2023, 08:28:59 »

The uncaptioned chap from NR» (Network Rail - home page) said:

"We'd normally spend 2 or 3 years in planning and designing and getting everything organised"

This situation is very abnormal for a number of reasons, but one can't help wondering if other projects could move forward quicker if there was a greater sense of urgency...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2023, 08:32:44 »

Known as ‘JFDI (just flipping do it (polite version))’?…..
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2023, 09:55:20 »

Known as ‘JFDI (just flipping do it (polite version))’?…..

Well, yeah.

I have an engineering background (mechanical rather than civil) so I do understand that there is a lot more to these things than meets the eye of the lay observer. But even in the exciting new world of Project Speed, I can't help thinking that the general modus operandi is still far too omphaloskeptic.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: