Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
Delayed
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 20:44:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[177] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[54] access for all at Devon stations report
[34] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[28] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Purchasing from ticket machine for a different station departure?  (Read 1799 times)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: April 18, 2023, 08:24:33 »

Morning all,

Daughter in Worthing has just randomly asked if they can purchase a ticket from a Worthing ticket machine for departure from, say, Gatwick, or a different station?

I suggested the ticket office would be a far better bet, who could (when prodded?) also check splits.

This has raised my curiosity, as I've never used a ticket machine  Embarrassed

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 11:35:11 »

At the risk of being frightfully 21st century, I'd suggest she uses the TrainSplit app to get the ticket on her phone - that will let you buy with any starting place, and will work out the splits for you.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 11:56:21 »

Thank you Richard.
I've already suggested railuk tickets (but note it also uses TrainSplit front page).
Assume railuk takes a cut from ticket purchase via TrainSplit.
She has an aversion to most websites that ask for your soul and blood details, etc! (Don't ask.........)

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 15:35:21 »

The answer to your original question is yes you can collect from any station
After selecting the ticket the screen has the option to where the ticket can be collected
It defaults to the departure station but can be amended to any station
Easily done and easy to collect
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 17:24:26 »

The original question was whether you can choose a different origin at a station's TVM (Ticket Vending Machine).

The answer is, it depends.

Some machines allow it, some don't. I know that SWR» (South Western Railway - about)'s Scheitt & Bachmann TVMs allow you to choose a different origin. I've done so a few times at Templecombe when wanting split tickets. I'm fairly certain that most Southern TVMs also allow you to choose a different origin station.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 21:28:46 »

The original question was whether you can choose a different origin at a station's TVM (Ticket Vending Machine).

Some machines allow it, some don't. I know that SWR» (South Western Railway - about)'s Scheitt & Bachmann TVMs allow you to choose a different origin. I've done so a few times at Templecombe when wanting split tickets. I'm fairly certain that most Southern TVMs also allow you to choose a different origin station.
Also depends on the software. The Machine at Pershore provided by GWR (Great Western Railway) looks exactly like the machine at Worcester Shrub Hill provided by West Midland trains. However while the West Midland machine allows purchase of tickets starting from other stations the GWR machine does not, Nether do the more modern GWR machines at Worcestershire Parkway.
Kempis
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 22:05:29 »

Indeed. Several ticket machines on the GWR (Great Western Railway) network have been replaced in recent months. At Clifton Down, the old machine did allow purchase of tickets from another station. The new machine (of a different type) doesn't. I don't know whether we should expect a software update that will enable that facility again.

I don't know about Southern's machines, but I wouldn't rely on being able to purchase tickets from another station without checking the ticket machine in question in advance.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 09:18:46 »

Indeed. Several ticket machines on the GWR (Great Western Railway) network have been replaced in recent months. At Clifton Down, the old machine did allow purchase of tickets from another station. The new machine (of a different type) doesn't. I don't know whether we should expect a software update that will enable that facility again.

I wouldn't expect that if I were you.

1. A machine with less options offers a quicker average transaction time and means that you (if you are a TOC (Train Operating Company)) can get away with fewer machines.  From a passenger viewpoint, it may be easier to find the right ticket too

2. You (if you are a TOC) can reduce the sale of split journey tickets, redirecting sales to the tickets intended for the journey that are in the industry fare manual, end to end. From a passenger viewpoint, the chance of getting an invalid ticket or combination is reduced,

3. The machines or software may be less complicated and cheaper for the TOC to buy or lease.

"Most tickets available here - if you can't find the tickets you need r aren't sure, please use the staffed ticket counter or if there is no counter available, please pay the train manager" seems reasonable.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Kempis
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 22:47:52 »

Thanks, Graham. My thought of a possible software upgrade comes from a vague memory that, when the old machine was first installed, you couldn't use it to buy tickets from another station, but that facility was added later.

While it's true that the new machine is quicker to use than the old one was, I don't think that the absence of the button in the corner of the screen offering tickets from another station (which is what we had before) makes a significant difference to the time taken to buy a ticket.

It's helpful to be able to buy split tickets from a station such as Clifton Down. When making an early start on a journey beyond Temple Meads, a through ticket for the journey may be available only as an expensive Anytime. By splitting, it can be possible to combine an Anytime ticket for the first leg (and Anytime tickets for the Severn Beach Line itself are very cheap) with an Off-peak ticket from an intermediate point.

It was also useful when travelling to Clifton Down from a local station which doesn't have a ticket machine, since if the guard didn't come round you could buy your ticket on arrival.

As to the advice to pay the train manager, the TMs(resolve) on the Severn Beach Line are always very helpful, but since Clifton Down is a Penalty Fares station (and has a ticket machine), I would be wary of boarding the train without a ticket without first speaking to the on-train staff.

Of course, it's now possible to tap in with a GWR (Great Western Railway) smartcard, though I haven't tried one myself yet, and one can also buy split tickets online and then collect them from the machine, or have them delivered as an e-ticket.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 17:08:12 »

The Machine at Pershore has now been upgraded to allow purchase of tickets for journeys from other stations.

However I am not sure if I should be posting this in the lighter side.

Can members guess which other local station is missing from the list of stations.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 17:13:25 »

WOP?

(added: Worcestershire Parkway - needs adding to short-code look-up)
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2024, 17:57:16 »

WOP?

(added: Worcestershire Parkway - needs adding to short-code look-up)

Correct its only been open 4 years. Its still not listed under nearest stations on the national rail APP ether.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2024, 18:05:08 »

I didn't know that was a thing on that app!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: