Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 04:41:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: TfL plan to scrap Travelcards  (Read 5349 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2023, 19:37:29 »

Also it is much harder if travelling as a family, as you get 4 paper cards one each. How do you replicate that with 2 adults and 2 children, do I need 4 debit/credit cards?

In short, each traveller would need their own debit/credit card. Although children under 10 travel free on TfL» (Transport for London - about), so not sure how that would work. Indeed, under the current system, why buy a Travelcard extension for an Under-10 (i.e why pay for something that is actually free) ?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2023, 07:50:11 »

Also it is much harder if travelling as a family, as you get 4 paper cards one each. How do you replicate that with 2 adults and 2 children, do I need 4 debit/credit cards?

In short, each traveller would need their own debit/credit card. Although children under 10 travel free on TfL» (Transport for London - about), so not sure how that would work. Indeed, under the current system, why buy a Travelcard extension for an Under-10 (i.e why pay for something that is actually free) ?

Children under 10 don't need a ticket on TfL services as long as they (up to 4 of them) are accompanied by an adult who has paid his or her fare.

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2023, 09:17:32 »

Children under 10 don't need a ticket on TfL» (Transport for London - about) services as long as they (up to 4 of them) are accompanied by an adult who has paid his or her fare.

Presumably, that means approaching a manned gate and ask to be let through?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2023, 09:44:49 »

Children under 10 don't need a ticket on TfL» (Transport for London - about) services as long as they (up to 4 of them) are accompanied by an adult who has paid his or her fare.

I would imagine that will be how it works.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2023, 10:21:00 »

The main problem with contactless bank payment remains the lack of an easy way to add a railcard discount for journeys that use national rail services for all or part of the journey.  A paper travel card ticket or Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card makes it possible to enable that discount.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2023, 12:01:33 »

Perhaps the long-term answer is to make railcards smart. Give them RFID and link to a bank account.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2023, 12:06:15 »

I would imagine that will be how it works.

I was unaware of the exemption for under-10s when, several years ago now, I approached the barriers and asked how to get a ticket for my then 11 year old son. Couldn't see how to get it from a machine and no ticket office (or not that was open). Staff said something along the lines of 'I don't believe he's 11, he looks 10 to me, he doesn't need a ticket.' Boy was, of course, not pleased to be 'downgraded'!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2023, 12:20:49 »

Boy was, of course, not pleased to be 'downgraded'!

That changes though ... there seem to be a lot of young people aged 16 or even 17 who downgrade themselves to 15 when travelling by train.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2023, 12:39:01 »

Boy was, of course, not pleased to be 'downgraded'!

That changes though ... there seem to be a lot of young people aged 16 or even 17 who downgrade themselves to 15 when travelling by train.

I get the impression that Newton Abbot has the highest proportion of 14-year-old youngsters for whom time has stood still for at least three years  Grin
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2023, 12:47:50 »

Oh yes.
Frequent story on busses "Child single/return please" when clearly not a child!

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2023, 13:40:18 »

The amazing quantum qualities of age: 17 on the birth certificate, 15 on the bus, 18 in the off-licence!

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2023, 14:35:46 »

The main problem with contactless bank payment remains the lack of an easy way to add a railcard discount for journeys that use national rail services for all or part of the journey.  A paper travel card ticket or Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card makes it possible to enable that discount.

When the expansion of contactless/PAYG (Pay as you go) to all these 233 new stations was announced, in two phases 1 and 2, IanVisits said:
There are also two phases to the payment options being rolled out:

Phase 1 – Full-fare, Adult PAYG travel using contactless payment cards and mobile devices across the South East, fully integrated with TfL» (Transport for London - about)’s existing scheme.
    Phase 2 – Enable discounted PAYG travel for National Rail concessionary customers.

That makes it sound as if this is due by 2024 as well, but I've never found any official source for that, and I suspect it's misleading. The expansion - project Oval - was implemented as a non-competitive tender with TTL (part of TfL) and Cubic.

There is another tender still to be let called Project Proteus, which is TTL looking to re-let the contract Cubic have to run the system. This includes various back-office system changes, lurking underneath the usual jargon and initials. And one of those is:
• Account Based Ticketing / FTP5: This is our programme that will make Oyster an account-based system. Initially this is likely to be a proof of concept involving design and back-office development work which we will lead on. Once the Proteus Contractor is in place, we will engage with developing the wider proposition to develop the system wide solution. This change will involve significant upgrade to our retail assets, changes to the reader to support the new risk management models, changes to the RID software as well as decommissioning the legacy Oyster system;

That's about Oyster, and so has nothing to do with adding a railcard to a contactless account. But it might, perhaps, have caused a bit of confusion in reporting. But this Project Proteus would also be a likely place to put the database link to support railcards in PAYG accounts, though as I say it's not actually mentioned. Proteus is to be let in 2024 for "full-service delivery in August 2026", and more new bits to follow after that.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2023, 15:04:59 »

According to the Evening Stanard it has been saved.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/one-day-travelcard-saved-transport-for-london-tfl-trains-fares-b1115574.html

It will apparently rise in price (I am not surprised), if the rise is 'small' then this has to be good news and good news about the railways is in short supply at the moment.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2023, 16:05:32 »

I reckon the add-on will be raised to at least £6.40
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2023, 17:03:37 »

The Standard report has been updated to an "increase by a one-off levy of about three per cent next March, in addition to the annual fares rise".
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: