29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 20:24:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[94] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[83] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[73] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[49] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer Saturday Promotion - Swindon, Chippenham and Melksham to Weymouth  (Read 2020 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 20, 2023, 06:34:15 »

The railway from Swindon and Chippenham via Melksham to Trowbridge and Westbury, with connections at both ends enabling you to reach thousand of other station, has become a key passenger artery in and out of Melksham in recent years, as well as a main through flow through the town and across Wiltshire. Trains run about every 2 hours, 7 days a week, all through the day and evening.  Timetable at http://www.mtug.org.uk/summer23sheet1.pdf

This summer, our train operator ( Great Western Railway at https://www.gwr.com ) is running a through train every Saturday to Weymouth, leaving Swindon at 08:45, Chippenham and 09:00 and Melksham at 09:10, returning from Weymouth at 19:40.  No need to book ahead - just buy your ticket at the station on the day.  Try the train, and have a great day in Weymouth.  It's just £21.50 return for adults (or £14.15 each for three or more), £10.75 for children, free for those under 5.

I'm honoured to have been helping to promote the line and the service for a number of years, and have watched services increase 5-fold and passenger numbers 25-fold in the last decade, and this summer I have been visiting Weymouth and onward connections from there every Saturday. Please join me one Saturday - lots of ideas and pictures in a little video (10 minutes) I have put together at http://grahamellis.uk/lib/weyslides.mp4 . See you on Saturday?

[[ Above is a Facebook post - ((here)) ]]

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 10:39:48 »

I have posted (other threads) about the Saturdays that the train has run already and my journeys to Weymouth and beyond.   Today, with other appointments in the afternoon, I just went down to unstaffed little platform in Melksham to check that everyone got away happy.   Around 45 people joined the train and 5 got off, and I estimate through the window that there were around 150 on there on departure on the 3 coach train.  So that's [155/50] on the old passenger count system (155 total journeys on the train on the section from Chippenham to Trowbridge that has no other regular services, of whom 50 were travelling to or from Melksham)

Having a person at a station with some background knowledge can be helpful both to passengers and to the railway business.  Random issues this morning included helping with the ticket machine, where a traveller was collecting a ticket purchased for him on a relative's card that the machine was asking for,  and letting people going away for a week know that there's also a direct train from Weymouth to Melksham on Sundays - just that it doesn't make for a day trip.   That latter has generated extra income for the railway, as the passenger concerned was otherwise going to be drive back - one of the 40% who won't make a train journey if a change is involved.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 15:12:56 »

A season mauled by industrial action and other issues - but still lots of good trips.  Next two Saturdays I don't expect it will run and we're certainly not  marketing it.

GWR (Great Western Railway) promised a 3 car train (280 seats) through the season and that was right - limited marketing north from north of Trowbridge woking to have perhaps 150 to 180 from there, extras joining so the train arrived into Yeovil Pen Mill with most  seats taken and was full and standing down to Weymouth - around 350 to 400 passengers by that point.   

Train running not on strike days promised and that was kept until 12th. To be fair, they promised that the through train to Weymouth would run and not the return train (19:40 ex Weymouth) in passenger service - so it ran empty on 12th as far as Westbury where in entered passenger service.  Weymouth to Melksham return passenger arriving at the station for the 19:40 (21:34, Melksham) were directed to the 20:20 to Westbury, where they found that no transport had been arranged ahead and they had to wait a further 40 minutes.

Length promise kept until yesterday (19.08), when a 2 car turned up. ....

186 seats (WikiPedia)
1st carriage -12 seats open +8 standing. +8 childen on laps
2nd carriage -3 seats open +15 standing. +7 children on laps
209 persons ex Melksham (about 35 had joined there and 4 got off - [213/39] )

After Trowbridge, 8 standing in my carriage had become 25.
Say another 40 on the train - so 250 people on a 186 seater.

Prior experience through the season is that numbers roughly double by Weymouth with further pickups along the way - that would have made 500 in 2 carriages. However, perhaps 25 to 30 more than usual left the train at Westbury to change for Warminster. I would make an educated guess at well over 400 people into Weymouth and perhaps passengers left behind at Pen Mill. Real Time Trains reports 8 minutes at Pen Mill, but as that's to await the single line it does not tell us how long station duties took.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 16:27:23 by grahame » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: