Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:35 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
13:53 London Paddington to Penzance
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 19:39:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[256] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Misleading advertising?
[14] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Out and about, June, 2023  (Read 3953 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 11, 2023, 12:12:43 »

Yesterday, I travelled on a class 165, a class 444, a single deck bus, an open topped double decker, a taxi, and no less than 5 differnt class 158s. A look around public transport in and around part of our region.  And it all fitted together reasonbly well; some very busy trains, some trains rather shorter than I feel they should have been, and some delays which made two connections perilous and caused one to miss completely.  I will write more on specifics when you folks have identified the final pictures at http://www.passenger.chat/27579

What was outstanding?   The politefulness of the public transport industry staff even when under pressure - a general showing of caring for their customers and a willingness to help, and typically being very well informed.  A couple of staff on the periphery who "growled" a bit, but a smile and a kind word thawed even that ice.

The forum is quiet.  Our newsfeeds have been filled with flooding in Kherson, the indicement of Donald Trump, panic over hot weather, the resignation of his seat by Boris Johnson, Prince Harry giving evidence in court, some group of people in Manchester winning virually all of the trophies in their field this year, and migration / immigration.  None of which is really "Coffee Shop" material and in many ways, it's "no news is good news" even I it gives us less to talk about.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 06:54:22 »

Apologies Graham, but another Grahamism.

indicement
I had visions of somebody being chopped into small pieces. Perhaps not physically, but ...
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 08:58:01 »

Apologies Graham, but another Grahamism.

indicement
I had visions of somebody being chopped into small pieces. Perhaps not physically, but ...
Sometimes these are referred to as Tobago: Typo But A Good One.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 07:40:05 »

From yesterday - http://grahamellis.uk/blog893.html

Out on the 09:10, back at 22:55.  Eight people joined the train in the morning - around 25/8 and half a dozen users in the evening. Spoke with several for whom it already (this train just started last month) made a very real difference.  The really busy Saturdays are useful in marketing terms; the daily "drip, drip", even on an early weekday with weather issues effecting services elsewhere (flooded lines!) is far more long-term important.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 13:04:36 »

Fro Interail ...

After 60 days, 52 trains, 29 cities/towns and around 780,000 steps ... we’re home! In that time there were 2 bus replacements due to engineering works, 1 cancellation due to strike, a couple of cases of app confusion, 1 pickpocket, 1 jellyfish sting, no instances of not getting a seat and hundreds of fantastic experiences. That seems like a good ratio to me!

I get a "can't have been to Specsavers" feeling, or perhaps "cannot have travelled in the UK (United Kingdom)".  Or have I just been unlucky of late?   Looking at yesterday ... a complete log is depressing.

1. Cancelled "Due to problem with the brakes"

2. Multiple "Cancelled due to points failure"
One train left 42 minutes late / 20 late at destination having skipped stops
One train left 23 minutes late / 2 late at destination having skipped stops

3. One train simply went to "delayed" and disappeared off systems. No reason

4. 5. 6. One train left 4 minutes late due to "disrtuptive passenger" and then hit "running slow due to bad weather", "delayed due to waiting a platform", and "diverted due to bad weather" and arrived 56 minutes late.

7. One train 34 minutes late - bad weather earlier in the journey?

8. One train 10 minutes late - probably due to single line congestion

Arrived back to Melksham at 22:55 rather that 20:51 due to failed connections; final train actually on time!

No pickpockets, no Jellyfish sting, and only had to stand on one train briefly (until they announced it was skipping stops, then lots of people looked unhappy and got off).   Yes, the weather caused problems but there were lots of other issues along the way too - and because they were so varied, I can't see an easy fix.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 05:39:13 »

Yesterday - Twelve trains, six busses and a boat (or was that a ship?). Twelve different stations at which I left or joined trains, several I was at (getting off or on) twice and one I was at three times.  Trespassers lead to once cancellation and a significant change of plans.  One train was to late it missed a connection (onward train started as I ran onto the ongoing platform) and two incidents had me seriously concerned - one as to whether I would make my connection and one for my own safety from a group who were (err) breaking rules in a somewhat isolated spot where I was taking pictures.  Talking of which - some of these are easy, but can anyone identify all 12 stations correctly?

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2023, 07:23:51 »

No 2 is Westbury - that's what it says on the sign!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2023, 07:41:52 »

No 2 is Westbury - that's what it says on the sign!

Sure - a number of them are obvious. The question invites you - this time - to see if you can identify all twelve!

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2023, 08:20:18 »

OK, I'll stick my neck out - several complete guesses, some educated guesses.

Melksham
Westbury
Dilton Marsh
Romsey
Millbrook
Netley
Fratton
Portsmouth and Southsea
Fareham
Eastleigh
Southampton Central
Salisbury
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2023, 08:23:39 »

OK, I'll stick my neck out - several complete guesses, some educated guesses.

You have 9 out of the 12 correct, Phil - which is a pretty good start.

PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2023, 08:38:17 »

I claim the wooden spoon.  I would have scored one - I'd have guessed Pompe[y], and I hadn't even noticed the Westbury sign.  Mind you, I have an excuse - I've never been to any of the stations, at least not the ones mentioned by PhilWakeley.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2023, 09:05:46 »

6. Woolston. Caught many a train from there.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2023, 09:30:45 »

I claim the wooden spoon.  I would have scored one - I'd have guessed Pompe[y], and I hadn't even noticed the Westbury sign.  Mind you, I have an excuse - I've never been to any of the stations, at least not the ones mentioned by PhilWakeley.

It's a bit of fun ... I would have a similar issue in places like the Barnstaple branch or the Welsh Valleys!   

I will comment more once the final few are sorted - really interesting day!

froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2023, 17:17:57 »

I suspect 8 is Portsmouth Harbour rather than Portsmouth & Southsea.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2023, 06:39:04 »

Thanks to PhilWakely ... 9 out of 12 is darned good.  I have corrected and bolded the other three to complete the list.

Melksham
Westbury
Dilton Marsh
Romsey
Millbrook
Woolston
Hilsea
Portsmouth Harbour

Fareham
Eastleigh
Southampton Central
Salisbury

The only one not mentioned was Hilsea ...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: