11:12 Salisbury to Worcester Foregate Street
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 14:19:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trainspotters furious after Flying Scotsman Nuneaton visit - 'it's a shocker!  (Read 1418 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: June 11, 2023, 12:22:32 »

I didn't realise one paid to trainspot. Things happen....tough.

From Coventry Live, via MSN

Rail enthusiasts were left seething after their view of the Flying Scotsman at Nuneaton Railway Station was blocked out by a domestic train on the platform next door. Dozens of people gathered at the station this morning (June 10) to get a glimpse of the iconic train as it stopped off on its steam-powered journey from London Euston to Chester.

But the overwhelming majority of people huddled together at the station saw nothing of the world-famous locomotive when it called in shortly before 9.40am. Nuneaton resident Steve Creagh said the whole experience was incredibly disappointing.

"It's an absolute shocker," he told CoventryLive. "A steward said the other train would be moving on in a few minutes, but it never did. The Flying Scotsman passed out before the domestic train so hardly anyone got to see it."

"I could not believe it," the 60-year-old added. "You'd have thought the organisers would have made sure no other trains pulled up at the same time. They knew what time the Flying Scotsman was arriving."

Steve said around 80 per cent of the people who had been asked to congregate on platform one were unable to see past the other train. "Only those who were right at the far end would have seen anything of it," he said.

"It was just so disappointing. Luckily for me I hadn't travelled far, but some of those at the station had probably made a big effort to be there. I love trains and train travel, but I wouldn't describe myself as a 'nerd' or a 'trainspotter'.

"I just thought this was an occasion worth jumping in the car for to get pictures for posterity. Obviously that wasn't possible in the end. I can't get my head around it."

Steve questioned why the domestic train driver wasn't told to depart the station and to wait further down the track. Steve attempted to make his way down to platform two, but was told access was restricted to people with tickets for trains arriving there.

After scrambling to a different vantage point, Steve was able to get a view of the train trundling off in the distance, leaving a trail of steam in its wake. "There were people there with really expensive cameras intending on taking lots of great pictures," he added. "But they got nothing. It's extraordinary, really."

"The other train was not supposed to be there," Nigel Branston said. "A lot of people there were very unhappy."

The National Railway Museum, owners of the Flying Scotsman, and West Midlands Trains which operates Nuneaton Railway Station, was approached for comment.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 12:47:24 »

It is, as the man said, a shocker. I think they should shunt all the domestic trains into sidings and tell paying passengers to stay at home whenever a train with the historic and cultural significance of the Flying Scotsman ventures onto the tracks, personally.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 13:05:03 »

This rail enthusiast is also seething. Another news item about Flying Scotsman liberally peppered with spurious definite articles. Tongue

I am also reminded of this.
https://youtu.be/kBBK2hjcPuA

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 13:09:22 »

... a train with the historic and cultural significance of the Flying Scotsman ...

What exactly IS the historic and cultural significance of that particular locomotive?  isn't it just a really good piece of marketing, much more significance attachable to Puffing Billy, The Rocket, Firefly, Fenchurch, Lord of the Isles, King Charles III, Mallard, Braunton, Britannia, Evening Star, Royal Scots Grey

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 14:35:06 »

…and City of Truro.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2023, 14:49:13 »

or indeed - William Dean
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2023, 15:15:47 »

This rail enthusiast is also seething. Another news item about Flying Scotsman liberally peppered with spurious definite articles. Tongue

..................43 minutes after the original post - you're slowing down!!!  Smiley
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2023, 22:11:12 »

I was as luck would have it,able to see Flying Scotsman Twice last week ,both times at Pilning,in the down passing loop on the way to Cardiff and at a fair lick through platform one on the way back later in the day, a reasonable number of people turned out both times they were well behaved and it was good to see staff from both GWR (Great Western Railway) and a MoM from NR» (Network Rail - home page) in attendance ,no problems with scheduled services interfering with the view.
My thanks to Jay Mac for his reminder.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2023, 22:28:50 »

An old schoolfriend of mine was on this Flying Scotsman hauled railtour from Euston to Chester.

He's just posted to Facebook about his journey. He used the definite article three times.

Should I unfriend him?  Huh Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2023, 23:34:29 »

An old schoolfriend of mine was on this Flying Scotsman hauled railtour from Euston to Chester.

He's just posted to Facebook about his journey. He used the definite article three times.

Should I unfriend him?  Huh Tongue

Well… you could invite him to a weekend away in The Gower to discuss it, or maybe just get him to watch this vid:

https://youtu.be/qmVnr7rsWrE

RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 09:44:23 »

I well remember a letter in the Plymouth Herald years ago from an irate grandmother in Ivybridge after a Flying Scotsman visit who complained that the train had passed through Ivybridge station too fast and that the loco was putting out black smoke, not white.  She thought it was a disgrace.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2023, 16:14:35 »

I am also reminded of this.
https://youtu.be/kBBK2hjcPuA

In years to come that will probably be considered a very good historic record of a 9 car 159 formation…  Grin
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 19:09:05 by paul7575 » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2023, 17:41:42 »

Who can I write to about the trees?

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2023, 20:52:45 »

Who can I write to about the trees?

They look like the three that I saw flying low a few miles south of Crewkerne yesterday afternoon. 
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2023, 20:55:32 »

They were the trio of Hercules planes make a farewell tour over the UK (United Kingdom) today.

To be fair I did get shots unencumbered with foliage.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: