Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 07:30:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Front 7 carriages?  (Read 11569 times)
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 07:53:17 »

Yes, it is usually HST (High Speed Train). I was on it again last night. As I got on the train (making sure I walked past at least 3 carriages before I did), I heard the tail end of some announcement about Twyford passengers making sure they were in the front 4 carriages, which created a fair amount of movement up the train at that point.. Another announcement was made as we were on the way but the people standing in the door area, like myself, didn't get to hear it clearly enough to make out any actual words or sentences..

I had a good look around last night though, and maybe it's just the door area that doesn't tell you what carriage you are in, but I couldn't see any indication at all.. I did think of one solution to finding out your carriage letter, but you're not allowed to put your head out the window as the train is going along.. ha ha..
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 08:39:04 »

... I didn't Know that FGW (First Great Western) had a look at doing that.  This is the second time this week I thought I had writtern a fare, friendly and constructed message and felt I've been 'had up' in the responses recieved on this group.

Karl, The "coffeeshop" is intended to be a friendly place where people can post without feeling had up.  I can only apologise (and I would like to do so to everyone who has read this thread) for how the response (which wasn't mine and I had not come across until a few minutes ago) read.  Please feel free to use the "notify" button as soon as you see something like this and it will come straight to the attention of all the moderators and admins.

Back on subject ... some excellent points here - in a variety of circumstances (train in reverse, going to back, no knowing caoch letters, understanding English ....) it is darned hard to know if you're in the nth coach.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 09:39:22 »

Yes, it is usually HST (High Speed Train). I was on it again last night. As I got on the train (making sure I walked past at least 3 carriages before I did), I heard the tail end of some announcement about Twyford passengers making sure they were in the front 4 carriages, which created a fair amount of movement up the train at that point.. Another announcement was made as we were on the way but the people standing in the door area, like myself, didn't get to hear it clearly enough to make out any actual words or sentences..

I had a good look around last night though, and maybe it's just the door area that doesn't tell you what carriage you are in, but I couldn't see any indication at all.. I did think of one solution to finding out your carriage letter, but you're not allowed to put your head out the window as the train is going along.. ha ha..

The problem with the HST is that the coaches are designed to be swapped, so there is often limited carriage lettering inside of the coach and particularly the seat numbers are wrong. Have to agree, as previously mentioned, that a computer system could somehow make sure all carriage letterings are correct. Why didn't they put information screens in the coaches!!!

"Please move towards the front of the train - this carriage will not be platformed at Twyford"
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 21:51:45 »

"Please move towards the front of the train - this carriage will not be platformed at Twyford"

Indeed - or how about something that doesn't require technology - the train manager walking forward from the back on the approach to each short platform telling people to move forward 3 coaches, 2 coaches, one coach.

I don't suppose the announcement system works "per coach" does it?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 21:53:59 »

I suspect doing that would take too long for some coaches Graham.

After all, if we took that stance - you'd have to walk through the entire train for Melksham... Wink
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 22:20:56 »

The really simple answer to all this is if FGW (First Great Western) want to run longer trains than the platforms can take then either remove the buffet or lengthen the platforms now that would show comitment  Roll Eyes  Grin.

I use the 07:04 from Maidenhead in the morning which is an HST (High Speed Train) which is a good service, now all that needs to happen in December's timetable when the extended platform 1 is complete is the stopping of the 17:06 at Maidenhead as the 3 car 17:18 is 3 coaches short

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 23:03:20 »

I suspect doing that would take too long for some coaches Graham.

After all, if we took that stance - you'd have to walk through the entire train for Melksham... Wink

D'you know, Tom ... there's folks who suggest that I mention the TransWilts too often, and as I recall you may be one of them - then when I post on a completely different topic, you bring it up. For sure, there's no "one size fits all solution" to almost any issue!

swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 23:07:53 »

I believe the word is a 'joke'. Wink

Besides, the practicality of issuing announcements based on coach locations on platforms is impractical due to sets possibly in wrong formations - also my 'example' was a perfect one for showing the difficulty of doing your suggestion for certain stations ... can think of Beaulieu Road as another, possibly Durnsford Road halt as another.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 07:42:44 »

Besides, the practicality of issuing announcements based on coach locations on platforms is impractical due to sets possibly in wrong formations

..which is the point of this thread.. It's the on train announcements which are confusing people.. That doesn't matter which way round the train is on the platform. They don't re-letter the carriages when that happens. So maybe as well as lettering the carriages outside, doing the same inside would remove all confusion (although as I mentioned earlier I usually have the delight of travelling in the door area, so am willing to accept that there may be some indication inside the carriage itself as to which one it is), as long as they then announce which carriages you won't be able to get off of using those same letters (and not "front 4").. I know now, and make sure (if I get an HST (High Speed Train) which is rare) that I get in the middle of the train (as was suggested earlier here) and check the carriage letter before I get on. I can imagine this would confuse the occasional traveller no end though at the moment..
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 14:07:56 »

I was on the 18.33 from Paddington, first stop Maidenhead tonight.. It's an intercity.. I don't usually get lucky enough to get one of these trains, we usually have turbos.. As we were approaching Maidenhead there was an announcement that to alight at Maidenhead we needed to be in the front 7 carriages.. Now, I knew for sure I wasn't in the rear carriage, I'd walked past first class before I got on, however I didn't have much time at Paddington, and didn't realise I had to count how many carriages there are on an HST (High Speed Train) so as to make sure I was in the front 7.... Fortunately a quick look around meant I could see the odd familiar face from regular commuters from Maidenhead who weren't panicking, so I didn't either.. I do think however a slightly more helpful announcement could be made (although I'm not sure what it could be - any ideas?)..

To say please alight From front 7 carriages on a 8 carriage train is well NUTS.

Far better to Say "Passengers in Rear Carriage H will need to walk forward to Carriage G to alight"

No confusion.....SIMPLE
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2008, 23:42:12 »

To those asking about putting the digital screens etc into the HSTs (High Speed Train).  While they obviously managed it in those photos in Connor's post, I was told by FGW (First Great Western) management that the reason for no CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) on HSTs is due to the basic electric wiring on these trains.  The complex changes that had to be made just to get the whole Central Locking System working was huge, and to then try and get things like CCTV/digital displays functioning properly I think was a step too far for the poor aged HSTs.

See the problems that Virgin/XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have with their reservation system to know that it can be more hassle than its worth.

As a FGW worker, I have to agree that the train managers in question on these routes should at a minimum be walking through to tell customers whether or not they have to move coaches to alight.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 02:37:39 »

To those asking about putting the digital screens etc into the HSTs (High Speed Train).  While they obviously managed it in those photos in Connor's post, I was told by FGW (First Great Western) management that the reason for no CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) on HSTs is due to the basic electric wiring on these trains.  The complex changes that had to be made just to get the whole Central Locking System working was huge, and to then try and get things like CCTV/digital displays functioning properly I think was a step too far for the poor aged HSTs.

See the problems that Virgin/XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have with their reservation system to know that it can be more hassle than its worth.

As a FGW worker, I have to agree that the train managers in question on these routes should at a minimum be walking through to tell customers whether or not they have to move coaches to alight.

Dont agree

You can see the carriage when you get on

You can see the carriages as it arrives on the station

You should be able to work out what carriage you are in and which ones are behind you and in front of you

Apply logic and  common sense to where you get off

Survival of the fittest - if you are not bright enough to work it out - then yes you need to travel to the next station and have to go back to where you got off - you might learn to apply brain before acting

Note: some guy who gets of at Kingham fell asleep last week - most people on train enjoyed a hilarious moment when he didnt wake up until Morton!  FFS (for goodness' sake (a more polite definition)) - set your phone to go off  before you are due to arrive if there is a chance you will sleep (its what I do every morning!)

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2008, 02:48:22 »

How about a better idea...

Very loud and excruciatingly annoying automated announcements in first class only...

THE NEXT STATION IS READING. ALIGHT HERE IF YOU PLAN TO GET OFF HERE. THIS TRAIN IS FOR LONDON PADDINGTON AND THE NEXT STATION IS READING. THIS TRAIN WILL THEN CALL AT TWYFORD, MAIDENHEAD, SLOUGH, EALING BROADWAY AND LONDON PADDINGTON IF WE CAN BE BOTHERED. WE ARE SORRY TO ANNOUNCE THAT THERE WILL BE NO AT SEAT SERVICE OF DRINKS AND LIGHT REFRESHMENTS ON THIS SERVICE. PLEASE GO TO THE BUFFET IN ORDER TO CLAIM YOUR GRUB.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2008, 10:30:15 »

If the wiring is so dodgy then how have they managed to have such high intensity and presumably higher ampage lights??

With a bit of money I can't imagine it would be too difficult rewire the Mk3s. Any news of wireless?
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2008, 12:16:17 »

Apply logic and  common sense to where you get off

And there your whole argument falls apart  Grin

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: