Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:56 Exmouth to Paignton
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
17:23 Exmouth to Exeter St Davids
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
15:47 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
16:08 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:53 London Paddington to Penzance
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
15:02 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:42 Exeter St Davids to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 18:03:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[204] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[56] Misleading advertising?
[19] access for all at Devon stations report
[19] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[7] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Integrated travel - should be a routine alternative at times of disruption?  (Read 1578 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 01, 2023, 07:57:53 »

What a mess!  What a classic illustration of the failure of our public transport to run as a network!  Management summary - Phil's 20 minute journey took 3 hours.  But even with the cancellation of his train he could have made the journey in under an hour if only all the public transport available worked as a network service.

Let me quote background from another thread.

14:19 Westbury to Swindon due 15:01
15:14 Swindon to Westbury due 15:59

15:14 Swindon to Westbury due 15:59 will be cancelled.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.

16:23 Westbury to Swindon due 17:08

16:23 Westbury to Swindon due 17:08 has been delayed at Westbury and is now 37 minutes late.
This is due to this train being late from the depot.

.....similar delay advised on the return trip.

I got caught up in this. Arrived at WSB» (Westbury - next trains) in time to get the 14:19 to Mkm, only to see it was cancelled because the driver failed to show up. Despite valiant efforts on the part of platform staff to find me and 2 others a taxi to Melksham, it was school run time and no taxis were to be had. We were assured the 16:23 would run on time. 16:23:30 came and I could see the train still sat away in the distance in the yard at Westbury showing red running lights (they probably have another name, but you know what I mean - the ones that turn white when it's good to go). In the far opposite distance a figure in an orange jacket ambled towards the distant loco - a driver! Half an hour later it trundled into Platform 1 to the accompaniment of an ironic round of applause from some now fractious would-be passengers. By 5:19 I was on my way back to Melksham, a mere three hours after arriving at Westbury station.

Phil arrived at Westbury Station at about 14:15 and didn't reach Melksham until 17:15 - 180 minutes later.  What should have happened? He should have reached Melksham by 14:35. So his journrey took 9 times as long as it should have done.  It should have taken 20 minutes.

But hang on a moment - what if our public transport system was treated as a network?  What if buses and trains talked to each other? 

Phil could have been directed to the 14:40 train to Trowbridge, to change there (14:45 to 15:14 at Trinity Church onto the x34 bus at the top of Station Approach) and arrive into Melksham at 15:55 -  just 100 minutes after arriving at Westbury Station.

Or had he been at Westbury station in good time ... the 14:12 train from Westbury, change to the bus (14:18 to 14:29 at Trowbridge) and get to Melksham at 15:03 - so that's just over 50 minutes after arriving in Westbury.

"OOOze gonna pay for it?". Nobody. It's already paid for.  Both trains and buses are under the tight management regulation of the public sector, all the alternative services I have mentioned are running already, financed already, and with (I can be pretty sure) space available for Phil and his two fellow passengers.

So who is going to do the clever IT coding to work this out? Nobody. It's already been done. I have just asked Google about an afternoon journey from Westbury to Melksham for a future weekday. 48 minutes.

Hardly rocket science, then.  In my days as Community Rail Officer for the line, we had what we called the "Integrated TransWilts Rail Corridor" which included timetable leaflets with both trains and buses shown, an even an arrangement (in daily use) where passengers could catch certain buses on their rail ticket - at a time that there wasn't a train.  The bus policy was expanded after my departure - see https://transwilts.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Bus_Policy.pdf dated six months after I was gone.  I'm disappointed that much of this remains work in progress and hasn't yet got to the point where Phil was directed to other aleady running public transport to complete his journey.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 08:17:07 »

With ticket offices set to close, and more accessible customer service available around stations rather than behind glass selling tickets to a rapidly dwindling base, this is precisely the sort of holistic assistance which the railway should aspire to.

A customer service bod armed with a handheld or tablet could quickly look up this sort of information for a customer and set them on their way.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 10:27:33 »

I think its all about being proactive.

I was at Ipswich heading to London with a rail/coach/underground replacement in operation.

No one suggested travelling via Cambridge(by train) and then Cambridge to London (by train)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 11:37:58 »

But hang on a moment - what if our public transport system was treated as a network?  What if buses and trains talked to each other? 

"OOOze gonna pay for it?". Nobody. It's already paid for.  Both trains and buses are under the tight management regulation of the public sector, all the alternative services I have mentioned are running already, financed already, and with (I can be pretty sure) space available for Phil and his two fellow passengers.

In Cornwall, First Kernow are run as a commercial service - they run if profitable.
GoCornwall/Transport for Cornwall are run on a council subsidy, so tend to run in the early mornings/late evening/Sundays, etc.

There are reports that even bus services that are supposed to connect to each other don't.
Largely due to traffic, temporary road works, diversions, lack of staff, etc.
Almost impossible to run a connected service on time.

If a train is delayed - should the bus wait?  Delaying it even a few minutes will give it late running further down that schedule, possibly missing other connection slots.
No easy answer.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 11:54:53 »

In Cornwall, First Kernow are run as a commercial service - they run if profitable.

Yes ... and no.  Is there doublespeak here?  Do they receive public purse inputs from ENCTS (English National Concessionary Travel Scheme) passes?  Do they still receive BSOG (Bus Service Operators Grant )?  Are they receiving support for the £2 / will be £2.50 flat fare?  Can they receive ZEBRA funding?  If "yes" to any of these (and there may be more) then I suggest thay are not commercial services in fact - just in name.   And as such they should be "persuadable" to be part of an overall network.  Strikes me this is an EP (enhanced Partnership) - perhaps extend it further to include trains - an REP - Really Enhanced Partnership.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2023, 12:28:32 »

Yes, £2 flat fare and concession passes (except Park for Truro plus a few other college & university services) for all busses in Cornwall.
However, timings of runs, and turn around times for First have been screwed so tight, it is not possible to wait for anything delayed anywhere.
Kernow were struggling for staff as GoCornwall were paying more for drivers than First.
First suffered a few strikes and the pay was broadly in line with GoCornwall.
However, GoCornwall now have a further pay rise, so suspect more Kernow drivers will defect.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2023, 14:02:59 »

Another thing Graham - what if that *bus* in Trowbridge was cancelled? Google wouldn't know about it - and the customer is then adrift in a place they may well not know whatsoever, and would likely then miss that next train at Westbury when they caught the next train back, rather than waiting for the next bus (which is when? Is there one? How would the customer find out?)

Until all these can be sorted out positively for sure, then its possibly best to wait for the next train (& at least claim some delay repay!)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2023, 14:46:05 »

Another thing Graham - what if that *bus* in Trowbridge was cancelled? ...

Until all these can be sorted out positively for sure, then its possibly best to wait for the next train (& at least claim some delay repay!)

In my view, no, Chris.  If I am "stuck" at Westbury in that situation, I will catch the next train to Trowbridge, from where I have a choice of buses onward to Melksham, and if the worst comes to the worst, I could wander back down to the station and catch the train that Phil used in the end.  I do not want to wait around at Westbury for an extra two hours plus just in case a whole series of possible buses may be cancelled or late.

Your suggestion is especially ironic, instilling a fear of bus delays ... when the next TRAIN was over half an hour late!

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2023, 14:49:15 »

One can monitor lateness of trains / cancellations, but no so for most buses.

You know that area, I for one wouldn't be at all confident, more so in evenings, as I don't. Many wouldn't. Something to remember.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2023, 07:47:33 »

Ideally fully integrated travel (as in Switzerland? - or it used to be.  Not been there for many a year).
There again, are all those links fully subsidised, or run by private and separate operators.

CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2023, 07:07:17 »

what if our public transport system was treated as a network?  What if buses and trains talked to each other?

Some time ago somebody was enquiring at Reading station about getting to High Wycombe. Needless to say was quoted eye-watering sums of money via London. I stuck my oar in (as I do!) and suggested going to Friar Street and catch an 800 or 850 which will probably get you there quicker and certainly cheaper.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 20:51:23 »

As in Thomas the Tank Engine?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: